Title ix vs cost of scholie | Syracusefan.com

Title ix vs cost of scholie

upperdeck

Living Legend
Why do the major sports have full cost scholarships but other sports allow partials? Makes you wonder what would happen if Fball/Basketball went to a 50-75% ride . At su that would create an additional 30-80 slots for other sports and bring back baseball wrestling golf almost anything they wanted. make the other 25-50% needs blind. you still have the other costs of the running a team but there would be thousands of kids with chances to play sports and go to college too.

It would also make it easier to endow a scholie and keep that cost down a well.

If football/basketball went 50-75% scholarship, those programs would fall apart. Unless every school did that, which will never happen, no major program will do such a thing.

why would it change anything?? other sports have that already in place , if all the schools did it it would level the playing field and create more sports potentionally. i also thing they should make a uniform amount for the cost of the scholie so that schools have the same costs to come up with.

I just wonder why the sports with the least amount of money invested had to nitpick costs and the sport with the most money spent got to spend more?

why would it change anything?? other sports have that already in place , if all the schools did it it would level the playing field and create more sports potentionally. i also thing they should make a uniform amount for the cost of the scholie so that schools have the same costs to come up with.

I just wonder why the sports with the least amount of money invested had to nitpick costs and the sport with the most money spent got to spend more?
It is probably related to the revenue the sports generate, and the attention they generate for the school. The sports that generate money and get on TV, draw big crowds, etc., are going to be funded better than the ones that lose money and draw tiny crowds.

It is probably related to the revenue the sports generate, and the attention they generate for the school. The sports that generate money and get on TV, draw big crowds, etc., are going to be funded better than the ones that lose money and draw tiny crowds.
It's also designed to keep the powers from stashing players. Back in the Day, Bama and Texas had over 100 scholarship (added in edit) players on their rosters, a goodly number of whom never even got to dress for a game let alone get in during their 4 years. The 85-scholarship limit in D-1A fb coupled with the requirement that they're full scholarships is designed to make more players available for more schools. You can't imagine how much they cried when the march down to the 85 limit began. It was almost like the NCAA banned tackle fb and was going to make everyone play 2-hand touch. Same availability of players idea is true for the full scholarship requirement for both bball teams. D-1AA fb is allowed to spread the 65-scholarship max over 85 players.

There's a famous quote from Darrell Royal, the legendary coach from Texas, on why his roster was so large. "I can't be sure that a player will play for the University of Texas. But, I can be sure he won't play against the University of Texas."

Last edited:
Why do the major sports have full cost scholarships but other sports allow partials? Makes you wonder what would happen if Fball/Basketball went to a 50-75% ride . At su that would create an additional 30-80 slots for other sports and bring back baseball wrestling golf almost anything they wanted. make the other 25-50% needs blind. you still have the other costs of the running a team but there would be thousands of kids with chances to play sports and go to college too.

Student Athletes (a euphemism for slave) should get double scholarship cost so they get paid.

Student Athletes (a euphemism for slave) should get double scholarship cost so they get paid.

Oh come on now, they aren't slaves don't be dramatic.

They're indentured servants! ;)

The term 'slave' is totally inappropriate for describing anything except slavery, IMO.

What do you call people who have to put in a ton of work on something and don't get paid? Just curious. I'm always trying to improve my vocabulary.

Dave85 said:
What do you call people who have to put in a ton of work on something and don't get paid? Just curious. I'm always trying to improve my vocabulary.

They do get paid. They're compensation package (tax free) is a $50,000+\- scholarship per year. Ask anybody with student loans if that's a good deal.

And any college athlete that says they are starving is full of baloney in my opinion. I've seen the food plans they have and they are extensive with outlets available at almost any time.

They do get paid. They're compensation package (tax free) is a $50,000+\- scholarship per year. Ask anybody with student loans if that's a good deal.

And any college athlete that says they are starving is full of baloney in my opinion. I've seen the food plans they have and they are extensive with outlets available at almost any time.

Is a $50,000 scholarship equal to the value that star players bring to the University? Can they liquidate the value of that scholarship into cash?

It's indentured servitude let's not kid ourselves. Especially college football where they cannot enter pro football until 3 years out of high school.

Don't know about the 2nd part, but the first part is spot on. They are not getting nothing. IMO, labeling kids who get free college education, get the publicity they get, play in front of tens of thousands of adoring, cheering fans 'slaves' is insulting.

Indentured servitude I can live with.

Don't know about the 2nd part, but the first part is spot on. They are not getting nothing. IMO, labeling kids who get free college education, get the publicity they get, play in front of tens of thousands of adoring, cheering fans 'slaves' is insulting.

Indentured servitude I can live with.

Also, nobody forces them to do this.
And they can stop doing it any time they want to.

Unpaid interns?

Not to mention all the free clothes and shoes that they receive.

They still spend the same,amount.,they just spread it among more players. 4 get 25% rather than 1 getting 100%.
The number of scholarships per sport is controlled by the NCAA.

Unpaid workers. Sounds like the soviet union. I thought this was America. Oh well.
Again, they're not unpaid. The compensation is not cash, but they are not unpaid. You may want them to receive cash. Fine. Make that your argument. Don't argue they are unpaid.

Is a $50,000 scholarship equal to the value that star players bring to the University? Can they liquidate the value of that scholarship into cash?

It's indentured servitude let's not kid ourselves. Especially college football where they cannot enter pro football until 3 years out of high school.

So why do star players go to college? Why not play professionally overseas? Why not just get a job? Why not challenge the NFL or NBA in court? The NBA and NFL have established minimum credentials for employment, right, wrong or indifferent. Rationale is less performance based than demonstrated maturity based IMO but the credentials are established. Players see college as a necessary means to meet those credentials - right, wrong, or indifferent. Only difference between establishing credentials as an athlete vs. establishing credentials that most other fields require is that in most other fields the applicants pay out of pocket to attain them.

Yes, college athletic programs benefit financially from marquee programs in major sports but these kids are neither exploited or "sold into indentured servitude." That is just plain offensive.

Yes, but. . .

A significant portion of football programs lose money. I know, I know. . .all of those difficult-to-quantify benefits that football brings.

I believe that a reduction in football roster size would not be a horrible thing. The NFL gets along with a 53-man roster and a 16-game schedule. I think D-I could handle a 70-man roster for a 13-game (including bowl game) schedule.

Again, they're not unpaid. The compensation is not cash, but they are not unpaid. You may want them to receive cash. Fine. Make that your argument. Don't argue they are unpaid.

Is it work outside academics, like work-study, then its unpaid work. Are they spending time that benefits the university that has nothing to do with their grades and they are NOT getting paid for it, it's work.

Is it work outside academics, like work-study, then its unpaid work. Are they spending time that benefits the university that has nothing to do with their grades and they are NOT getting paid for it, it's work.

What do you think is fair compensation?

What do you think is fair compensation?

I like percentages because math is the coolest thing ever invented. And mathematical formulas are little gifts from God. Give the athletes some kind of mathematical formula that represents equitable distribution. For example, the NCAA rakes in $700 million dollars. Many millions are share with the participating schools based on how many games they've played in the tournament. It's really neat math. If you play more tournament games the college gets more money. Now distributing checks to 64 different colleges several times may seem like very difficult math, but we have computers that are very smart. A computer is a device that is really good at figuring out calculations based on mathematical formulas. With all the computer power we have you would think we would be living in a egalitarian utopia. Instead this is what we have: