TMZ reporting Kobe killed in copter crash | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

TMZ reporting Kobe killed in copter crash

It truly saddens me that she’s going to have to deal with the inevitable lawsuits.
Do you think they would have a case? I have no idea. I do think the Bryant's could help the other families instead of asking the public. Between his life insurance and royalties, jersey sales, etc going forward, they probably have at least another $200M coming to them over the next 10 years. I know it sounds insensitive at this point but..

Do you think they would have a case? I have no idea. I do think the Bryant's could help the other families instead of asking the public. Between his life insurance and royalties, jersey sales, etc going forward, they probably have at least another $200M coming to them over the next 10 years. I know it sounds insensitive at this point but..
Doesn’t matter. Was his helo, so she will get sued. I agree, she should get proactive with this, but this is also exactly why we all carry insurance.

Do you think they would have a case? ...

It’s still early, but there seems to be a possible argument that the operator and, derivately, the owner of the helicopter were negligent in flying in fog so thick that even LAPD helicopters were grounded.

Wouldn’t the owner be the one who could possibly be culpable? According to Business Insider (not a pay site), Kobe Bryant didn’t own the helicopter.See below:

“Bryant's helicopter, a Sikorsky S-76B built in 1991, was previously owned by the state of Illinois, according to records from the Federal Aviation Administration and the helicopter database Helis. The state flew the helicopter from 2007 to 2015, when it was put up for sale. It was not immediately clear who owned the helicopter before 2007.

In 2015, the helicopter was purchased from the state by a person named Jim Bagge, an executive at a company called Island Express Holding Corp., for $515,161, the Daily Beast reported.

Island Express has remained the owner and operator of the helicopter since 2015. It was not immediately clear whether Bryant leased the helicopter full time or chartered it as needed. It was also not clear whether Island Express provided a pilot or whether Bryant hired one separately.”

I thought the Post suspended her right away and issued a statement that her tweet was inappropriate?
Her suspension was overturned and the tweets from her basically making herself the victim are such a joke.

She is not a victim. People don’t have to like Kobe but the guy just died there is no need to be a jerk towards him.

She did that then got the backlash she deserved. Then look at how she tweeted when Fidel Castro and Sulemani died.

That women is why people have lost faith in the media.

Wouldn’t the owner be the one who could possibly be culpable? According to Business Insider (not a pay site), Kobe Bryant didn’t own the helicopter...

Yes, it's the owner and emloyer of the pilot (Island Express) who will probably have to face the wrongful death lawsuits. Also the pilot himself, and possibly the manufacturer of the helicopter (for manufacturing defects) and the FAA (for negligent air traffic control), depending on what the NTSB's crash investigation reveals. They all have plenty of insurance. The heirs of the people killed in the crash would be foolish not to sue.

If Kobe Bryant didn't own the helicopter, and didn't employ the pilot, I don't see how he or his estate could be held liable for the crash. His executor or estate could be a plaintiff, not a defendant, in any such litigation.

Last edited:
Yes, it's the owner and emloyer of the pilot (Island Express) who will probably have to face the wrongful death lawsuits. Also the pilot himself, and possibly the manufacturer of the helicopter (for manufacturing defects) and the FAA (for negligent air traffic control), depending on what the NTSB's crash investigation reveals. They all have plenty of insurance. The heirs of the people killed in the crash would be foolish not to sue.

If Kobe Bryant didn't own the helicopter, and didn't employ the pilot, I don't see how he or his estate could be held liable for the crash. His executor or estate could be a plaintiff, not a defendant, in any such litigation.
Sorry, thought he owned the helo. Agree with much of the rest. Interesting thing will be if someone chooses to sue the FAA for not requiring the terrain warning system that had been recommended years ago.

Her suspension was overturned and the tweets from her basically making herself the victim are such a joke.

She is not a victim. People don’t have to like Kobe but the guy just died there is no need to be a jerk towards him.

She did that then got the backlash she deserved. Then look at how she tweeted when Fidel Castro and Sulemani died.

That women is why people have lost faith in the media.
lol, you really get twisted up by what random people say or tweet don't you?

Maybe there should be a government agency that reviews tweets and things people say to make sure that they're proper. And if people don't conform, then they can be punished with fines or jail time.

lol, you really get twisted up by what random people say or tweet don't you?

Maybe there should be a government agency that reviews tweets and things people say to make sure that they're proper. And if people don't conform, then they can be punished with fines or jail time.
lol my opinion causes this.
This post makes me laugh.
It’s not worth a real response. Newsflash Kobe JUST DIED. 3 hours after he dies isn’t the time to make his life be defined by Eagle, CO.
Then to make yourself the victim that reporter can GFHS.
Also just an FYi her boss told her she hurt the company because she made the backlash about her.
When someone dies in a tragedy. It’s not the time to be a POS. She was and then makes the backlash about her being a victim.
The only people supporting her are you and bluecheck marks. Congratulations.

lol my opinion causes this.
This post makes me laugh.
It’s not worth a real response. Newsflash Kobe JUST DIED. 3 hours after he dies isn’t the time to make his life be defined by Eagle, CO.
Then to make yourself the victim that reporter can GFHS.
Also just an FYi her boss told her she hurt the company because she made the backlash about her.
When someone dies in a tragedy. It’s not the time to be a POS. She was and then makes the backlash about her being a victim.
The only people supporting her are you and bluecheck marks. Congratulations.
JEEZ tell me more about how this, more than anything else, has ruined the media.

GOD, you're so dramatic.

JEEZ tell me more about how this, more than anything else, has ruined the media.

GOD, you're so dramatic.
Political media have their own problem not because they're too political, but rather because they've forgotten to service their readers. Beltway items deserve coverage, but cable news and major media sites have satisfied themselves with lazy coverage that involves shorthand versions of some stories and completely ignoring other stories. The industry is complete agenda and writing doesn’t cater to the national audience it caters to what they believe.
The media should start writing for their audiences instead of infantilizing them.

You realize trust in the media is at an alltime low? It’s not because of Trump it’s what helped him win.

Kobe always reminded me of Jeter on the court/field. Just a relentless mentality and at times a flawed teammate. It is interesting to think about what the Eagle incident would’ve been in 2018 vs 2003 in terms of his legacy. The best thing he ever did on that front was write that apology which appeared very sincere. In a lot of respects it probably saved his legacy

Agree. I'd would argue that even if Kobe did lease/contract the pilot, it's a relative weak argument holding Kobe's estate liable in my view. Kobe is not in the "business" of helicopters or its pilots, etc. It appears based upon the pilot's background, he was highly regarded, trained/licensed to fly instrumentation along with visual flight rules, 8200 hours of flight time, etc. It would appear that being the case, the pilot was fully vetted from a due diligence standpoint, etc. The pilot bears the ultimate authority when it comes to making the final decision to fly when conditions get dicey, as they were. If it turns out that there wasn't any mechanical issues, which preliminary reports lean towards, routine maintenance performed (which also appears to be the case, mention of same being performed every 25 hours of flight time, etc.) a lot/most of this will fall on pilot error.

What's really puzzling (especially as a seasoned pilot) if he became so disorientated in the clouds/fog/marine layer, etc. why was he going so fast just before impact? Helicopters obviously hover, why not hover the copter and then ease it down and land it in some field or other safe area? I've read that in such cases, he could have been subject to an FAA reprimand, etc., but big deal in the realm of things. Perhaps, with Kobe on board and being such a high VIP, he just let his ego get in the way and didn't want to disappoint/have to admit that he couldn't get Kobe & company to their destination on time at this point without risking too much.

Agree. I'd would argue that even if Kobe did lease/contract the pilot, it's a relative weak argument holding Kobe's estate liable in my view. Kobe is not in the "business" of helicopters or its pilots, etc. It appears based upon the pilot's background, he was highly regarded, trained/licensed to fly instrumentation along with visual flight rules, 8200 hours of flight time, etc. It would appear that being the case, the pilot was fully vetted from a due diligence standpoint, etc. The pilot bears the ultimate authority when it comes to making the final decision to fly when conditions get dicey, as they were. If it turns out that there wasn't any mechanical issues, which preliminary reports lean towards, routine maintenance performed (which also appears to be the case, mention of same being performed every 25 hours of flight time, etc.) a lot/most of this will fall on pilot error.

What's really puzzling (especially as a seasoned pilot) if he became so disorientated in the clouds/fog/marine layer, etc. why was he going so fast just before impact? Helicopters obviously hover, why not hover the copter and then ease it down and land it in some field or other safe area? I've read that in such cases, he could have been subject to an FAA reprimand, etc., but big deal in the realm of things. Perhaps, with Kobe on board and being such a high VIP, he just let his ego get in the way and didn't want to disappoint/have to admit that he couldn't get Kobe & company to their destination on time at this point without risking too much.
Theory I heard was he was tracking PCH and the ground was rising fast where he was so in trying to keep at right flight level and because clouds got low he lost all visibility. Speed and ascend quickly to get out of Dodge but ran out of room. Plus he’d been flying awhile at that point so maybe fuel was an issue.

Theory I heard was he was tracking PCH and the ground was rising fast where he was so in trying to keep at right flight level and because clouds got low he lost all visibility. Speed and ascend quickly to get out of Dodge but ran out of room. Plus he’d been flying awhile at that point so maybe fuel was an issue.
An interesting development, if accurate:

Bryant crash pilot was NOT legally allowed to fly in fog using only the aircraft's instruments.

If true, that's all the more reason for the company and pilot not to fly in dense fog and low clouds.

The Helicopter didn't have a onboard TAWS terrain alert and warning system. The pilot should have backed off and put it down safely somewhere. California just changed a law and now all helicopters operation in California airspace are required to have a TAWS system.

Last edited:

Melo clearly is having a really hard time with this.

Cant even imagine.

I haven’t watched a game, an Inside the NBA segment, a sportscenter - next to nothing beyond seeing a few things on Twitter, all week. Not ready for it. Hard to care right now. And I’m just a fan.

Cant imagine what his friends who still play are going through.

Cant even imagine.

I haven’t watched a game, an Inside the NBA segment, a sportscenter - next to nothing beyond seeing a few things on Twitter, all week. Not ready for it. Hard to care right now. And I’m just a fan.

Cant imagine what his friends who still play are going through.
Lots of respect for LeBron. Pushed through tears and spoke from the heart to the Staples crowd. For a guy who still doesn’t have the buy-in of some Laker fans, due to not being Kobe, that had to have earned him some cred.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom