To those that foolishly say that we have the talent we | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

To those that foolishly say that we have the talent we

Alsacs said:
Our talent won 7 games last year. We lost Jerome Smith, Jay Bromley, Marquis Sprull, R'shard Anderson. Our talent is not significantly worse than last year's talent and we are 3-7 looking at 3-9. That is on the coaching staff. We have played 12 games against ACC and P5 non-conference opponents and have only scored 30 points 1 TIME in 12 games. In an era where offense is easy because of the rules. Our offensive coaches SUCK.

A lot people underestimated the loss of Smith.

Our talent won 7 games last year. We lost Jerome Smith, Jay Bromley, Marquis Sprull, R'shard Anderson.

Our talent is not significantly worse than last year's talent and we are 3-7 looking at 3-9. That is on the coaching staff.

We have played 12 games against ACC and P5 non-conference opponents and have only scored 30 points 1 TIME in 12 games. In an era where offense is easy because of the rules. Our offensive coaches SUCK.
How about answering my question. Rate our units. Maybe, just maybe, our coaches did an unreal job last year.

A lot people underestimated the loss of Smith.
Jerome Smith 2013 stats 12 games played, 184 rushing attempts, 840 yards, 4.6 ypa.
Prince Tyson-Gulley 2014 stats 10 games played, 116 rushing attempts, 568 yards, 4.9 ypa

PTG has been fine as the lead RB. I don't think Jerome Smith on this team makes us better significantly better on offense. Our QB play and offensive coaching staff has been sub-par

Jerome Smith 2013 stats 12 games played, 184 rushing attempts, 840 yards, 4.6 ypa.
Prince Tyson-Gulley 2014 stats 10 games played, 116 rushing attempts, 568 yards, 4.9 ypa

PTG has been fine as the lead RB. I don't think Jerome Smith on this team makes us better significantly better on offense. Our QB play and offensive coaching staff has been sub-par
How many lead backs in the ACC is PTG better than? Look, our coaches have to get better. The clock management is terrible. Some of the play calling is very bad. But our talent is way overrated by our fans. We raen't good enough to be better than average at best. Throw in a lot of injuries and a play here and there and we are 3-7 heading to 3-9. A lot has to get better here. First and foremost is the talent.

what pros do we have on this team? When is the last time we had an every down back on a nfl team?

No question the teams Syracuse is trotting out now could not hold a candle to the teams back in the 90's on paper. I just find it interesting that even back then there were those that explained away losses to bad teams as some sort of player deficiency as opposed to coaching. How many future NFL players did those Minnesota and Oklahoma teams have that beat a Syracuse team loaded NFL talent back in 1996/1997?

Folks still tried to argue lack of talent and / or bad match ups as reasons for these losses. In 1996, other then Syracuse, Minnesota beat only NE Lousiana, Ball State and a 2-9 Illinois team. That 1997 Oklahoma team outside of Syracuse beat only Louisville, Baylor and Texas Tech, teams that went a combined 9-24 (Texas Tech had 6 of those wins).

For some it seems like Syracuse can never have enough talent to be able to point at coaching as the reasons for failure. I am not sure a lack of identifiable future NFL talent can in and of itself be an excuse for losing to teams like Maryland or NC State. I am not sure the ACC in general outside of Florida State is really all that good right now. I am also not really disagreeing with you, this team is not that talented in comparison to the big boys of college football today, but I believe they have enough to compete on a college level with those teams who may have a future NFL guy or two somewhere on their roster, as we are all well aware as Syracuse fans that does not always translate to wins against what we would like to see as lesser competition.

Coaching has to count for something...

QB- would be bottom 2 in the ACC
RB- would be mid-pack(5-8)
WR- depends on the QB I think would be 7th-10th
OL- top 5 ACC
DE- would be bottom 3
DT- would be mid pack(5-8)
LB- would be mid pack
CB- would be mid pack
S- would be bottom 5
Coaching- would be bottom 3

This team has 6-7 win talent with a good coaching staff. Its not a conference championship level but to go 0-4 at home in conference play is a joke. This team should be 5-7 to 7-5 not 3-9.

How about answering my question. Rate our units. Maybe, just maybe, our coaches did an unreal job last year.
if you're going to ask everyone, you should probably give your own answer

including ND is shaky.

I would put our WR in the top 10. the defense wouldn't be as good as it is with bottom feeding d line, lb and secondary

starting o line was just fine

QB- would be bottom 2 in the ACC
RB- would be mid-pack(5-8)
WR- depends on the QB I think would be 7th-10th
OL- top 5 ACC
DE- would be bottom 3
DT- would be mid pack(5-8)
LB- would be mid pack
CB- would be mid pack
S- would be bottom 5
Coaching- would be bottom 3

This team has 6-7 win talent with a good coaching staff. Its not a conference championship level but to go 0-4 at home in conference play is a joke. This team should be 5-7 to 7-5 not 3-9.
Wow. I couldn't disagree more. WR would be closer to last than 7 to 10. OL would be no where near top 5. CB and I like Reddish, would be much lower.

How many lead backs in the ACC is PTG better than? Look, our coaches have to get better. The clock management is terrible. Some of the play calling is very bad. But our talent is way overrated by our fans. We raen't good enough to be better than average at best. Throw in a lot of injuries and a play here and there and we are 3-7 heading to 3-9. A lot has to get better here. First and foremost is the talent.
My god PTG is not chopped liver nobody is saying is Karlos Williams but the kid is definitely a mid-tier ACC starting RB. He isn't elite but he is mid-tier, when you factor in Irv Philips, Morris, etc. our RBs are not elite but they are BCS/P5 level RBs.

if you're going to ask everyone, you should probably give your own answer

including ND is shaky.

I would put our WR in the top 10. the defense wouldn't be as good as it is with bottom feeding d line, lb and secondary

starting o line was just fine
I was keeping mine for last but since you asked
1 qb bottom 4 rb bottom 4 o-line 7-10 They aren't bad so everyone overrates them higher d-line 11-15 lb top 6 db's 10 to 15
coaches 10 to 15 depth 11-15

Wow. I couldn't disagree more. WR would be closer to last than 7 to 10. OL would be no where near top 5. CB and I like Reddish, would be much lower.
West, Ishmael, Estime, Broyld, Lewis are most definitely mid-tier ACC WR core. Our QB makes them useless but this isn't last year's WRs.

My god PTG is not chopped liver nobody is saying is Karlos Williams but the kid is definitely a mid-tier ACC starting RB. He isn't elite but he is mid-tier, when you factor in Irv Philips, Morris, etc. our RBs are not elite but they are BCS/P5 level RBs.
What has Morris done? Irv Philips (I love) but I think he was recruited by Temple and that's about it. Did UConn even offer? PTG is okay at best. No power and really no breakaway speed.

West, Ishmael, Estime, Broyld, Lewis are most definitely mid-tier ACC WR core. Our QB makes them useless but this isn't last year's WRs.
Which one of those guys would start on any top 5 ACC team?

Which one of those guys would start on any top 5 ACC team?
Duke is a top 5 ACC team right? Outside of Crowder all of them would play significantly for Duke.
West plays and starts for any ACC team. He would be the #2 for FSU behind Greene
Ishmael would play for Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville
Estime and Broyld would as well.

C'mon man I am not comparing our talent to Florida State or Clemson, but we have enough material for this coaches to be doing a better job. Marrone would not have this team 3-7 with the same roster now that is obvious.

Marrone would not have this team 3-7 with the same roster now that is obvious.

Marrone's down to his 3rd and 4th string QB, and 2nd string OL just like Shafer is, right?

Marrone's down to his 3rd and 4th string QB, and 2nd string OL just like Shafer is, right?
If we started this season with DM as HC and played out it we would be better than 3-7 after 10 games with our current talent is what I am saying. Any player with DM could have been injured in any game any play. I have absolutely no confidence in this coaching staff.

They aren't going to get fired because Shafer is getting year 3, but this staff is our biggest weakness in context to teams like Maryland, NC State, Louisville, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Duke's talent on their rosters.

If you gave Cutcliffe on our roster on Saturday and gave Shafer Duke's roster. Cutcliffe would have made the final score different if not an Orange win. This team hasn't found the niche for the talent on the roster. Last year we embraced the power run game even though McDonald wanted up tempo and the talent hasn't changed much and we abandoned the power run game.

Whose fault is it we don't have talent? There is no GM to fire?

If we started this season with DM as HC and played out it we would be better than 3-7 after 10 games with our current talent is what I am saying. Any player with DM could have been injured in any game any play. I have absolutely no confidence in this coaching staff.

They aren't going to get fired because Shafer is getting year 3, but this staff is our biggest weakness in context to teams like Maryland, NC State, Louisville, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Duke's talent on their rosters.

If you gave Cutcliffe on our roster on Saturday and gave Shafer Duke's roster. Cutcliffe would have made the final score different if not an Orange win. This team hasn't found the niche for the talent on the roster. Last year we embraced the power run game even though McDonald wanted up tempo and the talent hasn't changed much and we abandoned the power run game.
Don't know about that. Marrone never faced a schedule like the one we play now. And hald way through his last season, fans wanted Marrone out. Oh, and last year we beat Maryland, N.C State and Boston College. We had a 1 pt loss to Pitt. Not too bad. We didn't play the Ville

Whose fault is it we don't have talent? There is no GM to fire?
The last coaching staff. You can't possibly blame this staff with only frosh to count on for them. And the frosh have been quite good. The only bright light besides our walk on kicker.

For all of you who cite stats on our d or say we have been in games, how do you know it isn't the coaching and not the talent that has kept us close? Once again, where does a healthy Hunt or whoever you rank as our top qb rank in the ACC? Where do our running backs rank in the ACC? Our o-line? Our wide outs? Our d-line? Our linebackers? Our d-backs? We aren't talented guys.

How are you going to rank anything except by results? Anything else is just BS. This whole thread is BS.

The last coaching staff. You can't possibly blame this staff with only frosh to count on for them. And the frosh have been quite good. The only bright light besides our walk on kicker.

Shafer has been here for a long time this isn't his first season or even second season recruiting for Syracuse. You state people like Long, Ish, Estime, Philips wouldn't play for other teams. The whole point of keeping Shafer was to keep the Marrone momentum going.

How are you going to rank anything except by results? Anything else is just BS. This whole thread is BS.
Sorry you don't approve. Start your own thread. I state we don't have talent. You cry B.S. That's B.S. Rank our units my frind or shut up.

Shafer has been here for a long time this isn't his first season or even second season recruiting for Syracuse. You state people like Long, Ish, Estime, Philips wouldn't play for other teams. The whole point of keeping Shafer was to keep the Marrone momentum going.
And he did. Last year was better than any year Marrone had. 7-6 record against better comp. This year, injury riddled. Does the coaching need to get better, yes. Do we need better players more, yes.