To those that foolishly say that we have the talent we | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

To those that foolishly say that we have the talent we

Don't know about that. Marrone never faced a schedule like the one we play now. And hald way through his last season, fans wanted Marrone out. Oh, and last year we beat Maryland, N.C State and Boston College. We had a 1 pt loss to Pitt. Not too bad. We didn't play the Ville
2012 we played a tough schedule
2 B1G teams Northwestern, @Minnesota
1 Pac-12 team USC
1 SEC team @Missouri
1 Big XII team West Virginia
7 Big East teams Louisville, UConn, Pittsburgh, @Cincinnati, @Temple, @Rutgers, @USF

That schedule was pretty damn tough. We beat Maryland and NC State last year on the ROAD and lost to both at HOME. That is on the coaching staff.

1 Pac-12 team USC
1 SEC team @Missouri
7 Big East teams Louisville, UConn, Pittsburgh, @Cincinnati, @Temple, @Rutgers, @USF

That schedule was pretty damn tough. We beat Maryland and NC State last year on the ROAD and lost to both at HOME. That is on the coaching staff.
Was it on the coaching staff when we beat them on the road? Can't have it both ways.

i'll take burst over speed any day.
Nobody, huh? OK, then.

4614585718_31313e1dd6.jpeg

How are you going to rank anything except by results? Anything else is just BS. This whole thread is BS.
AQnd by the way, this thread is about talking about how talented our football team is. That is not B.S.. It's too bad we can't really have that debate here. Let's look for easy answers. Marrone was 25-25 What was his record after two years? Did he fall back in his third season? Were some fans on this very board calling for his head half way through his fourth season. How quickly we forget.

Was it on the coaching staff when we beat them on the road? Can't have it both ways.
C'mon man you accuse of me strawman arguments you and I may disagree on the issues, but you aren't a bomb thrower nor am I. It is obvious the coaching staff pulled wins out of their a$$es last year. We aren't elite with talent, but this roster has 6-7 wins on it with better coaching.

Shafer's offensive coaching staff outside of Bobby Acosta have all sucked. McDonald is a position coach he did bring in some talent but stunk at game planning, play calling, preparation. The rest of the offensive coaches have stunk. Offensive production has been a joke. Our OL is top 5 whether you think it is. Our WR/RBs are mid tier but our QB/coaching staff are both bottom 3.

AQnd by the way, this thread is about talking about how talented our football team is. That is not B.S.. It's too bad we can't really have that debate here. Let's look for easy answers. Marrone was 25-25 What was his record after two years? Did he fall back in his third season? Were some fans on this very board calling for his head half way through his fourth season. How quickly we forget.
Marrone made the mistakes that Millhouse always called out the punting/4th down stuff where he was wrong. Marrone's game planning, preparations were never questioned. He was frustrating because he left some stuff on the field but the guy didn't get the support from the AD and left for the NFL. I owe Marrone an apology and have given it to him many times this year. Shafer is NOT Marrone he hires his buddies and already committed to Lester instead of saying he is the OC now and that is all I have to say until after the season is over. Shafer is Frank Spaziani good man who won 8 games his first year, 7 games his second year, 4 games his third year, 2 games his fourth year.

Shafer is going to get another year, but I am realist and damn want improvement and Shafer won't get them. With the IPF hopefully we can turn the corner in recruiting with the next hire.

Marrone made the mistakes that Millhouse always called out the punting/4th down stuff where he was wrong. Marrone's game planning, preparations were never questioned. He was frustrating because he left some stuff on the field but the guy didn't get the support from the AD and left for the NFL. I owe Marrone an apology and have given it to him many times this year. Shafer is NOT Marrone he hires his buddies and already committed to Lester instead of saying he is the OC now and that is all I have to say until after the season is over. Shafer is Frank Spaziani good man who won 8 games his first year, 7 games his second year, 4 games his third year, 2 games his fourth year.

Shafer is going to get another year, but I am realist and damn want improvement and Shafer won't get them. With the IPF hopefully we can turn the corner in recruiting with the next hire.
Maybe you will be making another apology. And maybe you won't. There are some things I dislike about SS. He has no idea on clock management. If he says we are looking for the diamonds in the rough instead of highly rated players one more time I may jump off a bridge. But his kids play hard and don't quit and that is something you can build on.

Maybe you will be making another apology. And maybe you won't. There are some things I dislike about SS. He has no idea on clock management. If he says we are looking for the diamonds in the rough instead of highly rated players one more time I may jump off a bridge. But his kids play hard and don't quit and that is something you can build on.
I won't be apologizing to Shafer he is in over his head. He lost me after ISIS that was an unbelievable blunder for a D-1 coach to make. Every time SS opens his mouth he sounds like a MAC HC and not a P5 HC.

we've been "in" all of our games save LVille. I think the talent is good enough to win games. Not National Championships, but win some games. The coaching has GOT to get better. Our offensive philosophy (do we even have one) blows.

We were even "in" that one if we had any clock management ability at the end of the first half.

I won't be apologizing to Shafer he is in over his head. He lost me after ISIS that was an unbelievable blunder for a D-1 coach to make. Every time SS opens his mouth he sounds like a MAC HC and not a P5 HC.
You also would have said you weren't be apologizing to Marrone. Things change.

You also would have said you weren't be apologizing to Marrone. Things change.
I never said that about Marrone. DM deserves an apology because it is obvious the SU powers sold him a bill of goods and never delivered. DM only screwed up with NFL mentality as it pertains to 4th down/punting his game preparations were never questioned.

need to compete, a challenge. Let's rank our units vs the rest of the league. There are 15 other schools. Where does each of our units rank in the league. This is at full health.
1 qb
2 rb
3 o-line
4 wide recievers
5 d-line
6 linebackers
7 d-backs

We have one unit that might be in the top 10 in the ACC. Linebackers. We need talent. We need speed at rb, wide out and at the cornors. We need quality bulk on the lines. Oh, and a qb wouldn't hurt as well.

ill tell you what. i recommend our offensive staff dead last.

This post is pure hyperbole. Here are just a few facts.
Versus ACC opponents
Total Defense 4th
Scoring Defense 5th
Passing Defense 5th
Rushing Defense 6th
Tackles for loss 6th
Sacks 10th
Fumbles recovered 2nd
Passes Defended 6th
Interceptions 5th
TO Margin 8th
Punting 5th
The punting has to get a c, because of 2 returns for touchdown, by out kicking the coverage. Its not how far you kick the ball, but the field position you force your opponents into, the Duke punter had us pinned back all day.

His Big East record was 11-17, for 4 years, and Temple replaced West Virginia year 4. Played 5 OOC games every year, 2009 Minn-L, PennSt-l, Nortwestern_w, Maine-w, Akron-w. 2010 Akron-Washington-l, Maine-w, Colgate-w, Boston College-l. 2011 Wake Forest-w, Rhode Island-w, USC-l, Toledo-w, Tulane-w. 2012 Northwestern-l, USC-l, Stonybrook-w, Minnesota-l, Missouri-w. Big boy games 3-8, others 9-0, and we won 2 mid tier bowl games. Record against Big East and Big Boy schools 16-25, others 9-0. We were still lower tier after 4 years, but we were better, we joined a much better conference, with a lot less talent, so people haven't been realistic to where we should be.

1 Pac-12 team USC
1 SEC team @Missouri

Can' compare schedules and teams like they are static situations. Last year MD was hurt (Diggs and others), and we weren't.

The punting has to get a c, because of 2 returns for touchdown, by out kicking the coverage. Its not how far you kick the ball, but the field position you force your opponents into, the Duke punter had us pinned back all day.
When you are backed up and are in full protect your linemen cannot get down the field. Duke doubled our gunners. Punter is told to kick it as far as he can in that situation. That is not on punter. The Duke punter was not kicking from his end zone.

need to compete, a challenge. Let's rank our units vs the rest of the league. There are 15 other schools. Where does each of our units rank in the league. This is at full health.
1 qb-
2 rb-
3 o-line-
4 wide recievers-
5 d-line-
6 linebackers-
7 d-backs

We have one unit that might be in the top 10 in the ACC. Linebackers. We need talent. We need speed at rb, wide out and at the cornors. We need quality bulk on the lines. Oh, and a qb wouldn't hurt as well.

C'mon man. We aren't talking the SEC here. When healthy, the OL, RB, LB and WR groups are all in the top half of the conference. Granted, we might not have a player like Crowder or Boyd who makes a difference on their own, but this isn't a team devoid of talent.

Even at QB, after Winston, Thomas and Kaaya, the rest of the league doesn't feature future pros.

C'mon man. We aren't talking the SEC here. When healthy, the OL, RB, LB and WR groups are all in the top half of the conference. Granted, we might not have a player like Crowder or Boyd who makes a difference on their own, but this isn't a team devoid of talent.

Even at QB, after Winston, Thomas and Kaaya, the rest of the league doesn't feature future pros.
top half of the league? At rb and wide out? Really?

6th would be top half of the league. West is 6th/7th in most receiving categories and according to many here, he's SU's 4th best WR at best. With Broyld and Estime, yes that's a group that would be right around there.

SU 's rushing offense is 7th out of 14, and while I wouldn't rate BC's backs as better because Murphy is the top rusher, I'd move FSU up despite the stats. So it depends on if you consider 7th top or bottom half.

dasher said:

Ask a question, then disagree with the responses like they are crazy people...

You can just look at the stats.

Last I looked we were top 35 in D and 70 something on O. That usually evens out to about .500. Injuries and an unusually hard schedule and no bye ruined and horrific red zone offense screwed us this year.

I'd also note that the freshman class will have a few all ACC performers in it before it's all said and done.

C'mon man you accuse of me strawman arguments you and I may disagree on the issues, but you aren't a bomb thrower nor am I. It is obvious the coaching staff pulled wins out of their a$$es last year. We aren't elite with talent, but this roster has 6-7 wins on it with better coaching.

Shafer's offensive coaching staff outside of Bobby Acosta have all sucked. McDonald is a position coach he did bring in some talent but stunk at game planning, play calling, preparation. The rest of the offensive coaches have stunk. Offensive production has been a joke. Our OL is top 5 whether you think it is. Our WR/RBs are mid tier but our QB/coaching staff are both bottom 3.
How can you judge that? Our TE's have been nonexistent this year, partly due to injury, partly due to playbook. What data do you have to assess Acosta's performance?

By contrast, our OL personnel has been a once-in-a-generation mess due to injury, with different lineups each game, guys playing at different positions, etc. Despite that, the OL play has been average at worst. (I wish we had more of an emphasis on run blocking in the offensive design, and had practiced it from spring onwards, so that we could see the guys grade the road now.) I'd say that Adam has done a damn good job of cobbling together a functional line, especially for a guy who took ample heat when hired for not having coached the position in our players' lifetimes.

Not sold on Lester or Smith.

1 qb
2 rb
3 o-line
4 wide recievers
5 d-line
6 linebackers
7 d-backs

We need more talent...but we have the talent to beat Maryland and NC state. No reason we lost to both of them at home.

We should be playing for a bowl bid next week.

We have enough talent to win 5 to 7 games. Looks like we're going to win 3. We shouldn't be that freakin bad.

How can you judge that? Our TE's have been nonexistent this year, partly due to injury, partly due to playbook. What data do you have to assess Acosta's performance?

By contrast, our OL personnel has been a once-in-a-generation mess due to injury, with different lineups each game, guys playing at different positions, etc. Despite that, the OL play has been average at worst. (I wish we had more of an emphasis on run blocking in the offensive design, and had practiced it from spring onwards, so that we could see the guys grade the road now.) I'd say that Adam has done a damn good job of cobbling together a functional line, especially for a guy who took ample heat when hired for not having coached the position in our players' lifetimes.

Not sold on Lester or Smith.
Acosta has single handily turned SU recruiting in the state of NJ. His positional work hasn't been great since our TEs have been non-existent. Acosta has been the main recruiter for our NJ kids.

The rest of the offensive staff can go away as fair as I am concerned.

Dasher you make our talent appear to be mid-Major. We don't have high NFL draft pick talent but our talent is mid ACC talent. Our WR/RB/LBs are adequate. Our QB/coaching are our biggest problems.

Your opinion is fine but this roster is not 3 win quality it is 5 to 7 win quality and our coaching staff has stunk.