Todd Gurley vs. Johnny Manziel | Syracusefan.com

Todd Gurley vs. Johnny Manziel

NKR1978

Living Legend
Manziel - lies to NCAA, gets a $10,000 take for signing autographs = half game suspension.

Gurley - fully cooperates with NCAA after his own school self reports, gets $3,000 for signing autographs = 4 game suspension. Forced by the NCAA to donate money to a charity and perform 40 hours of community service.

While I believe that there are elements of racism in the NCAA and how it is set up for mostly white men to earn millions off the backs of a disproportionate number of young black men, but regardless of that, I hope that the media screams racism in the disparity of punishment. Whether true or not, the NCAA needs to be put to task for this absolute b******. The football programs have a much greater ability to just ignore the NCAA. I'm not sure why football teams subject themselves to NCAA nonsense when they have no control over the bowl games or the playoff. Would just love for Georgia and the SEC to say "your punishments are adorable, but Gurley is going to play and he's not going to do community service. "

was it ever proven that manziel took the money? sometimes, it is better to lie.

Honestly, I don't think race had anything to do with this decision. It boils down to this IMO Georgia self-reported themselves to the NCAA and were proactive in investigating the Gurley stuff so they wouldn't have to vacate any wins and actually showed they had a soul. While Texas A&M let the NCAA handle the Manziel investigation when online memorabilia autographed by Manziel showed up. A&M didn't investigate as they didn't want the kid to be ineligible because they wanted the $$$ from boosters to expand Kyle Field(which they got because of Johnny Football)

The NCAA gave Manziel half a game so they could save face and get Manziel to atleast admit something happened. If Georgia didn't do their proper jobs the NCAA wouldn't have suspended Gurley and unless they stumbled into the info nothing would have ever happened to Gurley/UGA. I respect your opinions but honestly this isn't a race issue.

Honestly, I don't think race had anything to do with this decision. It boils down to this IMO Georgia self-reported themselves to the NCAA and were proactive in investigating the Gurley stuff so they wouldn't have to vacate any wins and actually showed they had a soul. While Texas A&M let the NCAA handle the Manziel investigation when online memorabilia autographed by Manziel showed up. A&M didn't investigate as they didn't want the kid to be ineligible because they wanted the $$$ from boosters to expand Kyle Field(which they got because of Johnny Football)

The NCAA gave Manziel half a game so they could save face and get Manziel to atleast admit something happened. If Georgia didn't do their proper jobs the NCAA wouldn't have suspended Gurley and unless they stumbled into the info nothing would have ever happened to Gurley/UGA. I respect your opinions but honestly this isn't a race issue.

I agree that race likely has nothing to do with the punishment - would just love for Georgia and the media to scream that it's racist and watch the NCAA stammer over itself.

Pretty ridiculous that they're extending the suspension. Doesn't bode well for our hearing since we were also proactive with suspending Fab Melo. Probably should've just let him play it all out - so what if they vacate our final 4/championship later on.

The NCAA is set up and paid for by the schools that fall under it's jurisdiction. If Georgia was to say what you propose, then it would essential be splitting from the schools it pledged to when they agreed to establishing the NCAA. Now, maybe that's what you want at the end, but I don't think that's what Georgia wants to do.

The NCAA is set up and paid for by the schools that fall under it's jurisdiction. If Georgia was to say what you propose, then it would essential be splitting from the schools it pledged to when they agreed to establishing the NCAA. Now, maybe that's what you want at the end, but I don't think that's what Georgia wants to do.

The SEC would have to refuse to play Georgia. Then the remaining out of conference games and bowl opponents would have to refuse to play the SEC teams. What would the NCAA do in that situation because I doubt teams wouldn't play those games.

My ultimate dream FU to the NCAA would be for all the basketball players on all the Final Four teams to organize a paid autograph signing session together the night before the Final Four begins. I would absolutely love to see the reaction to that.

If race was the issue Jameis Winston wouldn't be playing right now. Alsacs hit the nail on the head, and an honest program/coach is receiving a stiffer punishment for doing the right thing.

I think its a joke schools can't pay for the travel of parents to away games or NCAA championship games. I mean the NCAA could let the teams in NCAA tournament games pay for the travel of atleast 1 parent/guardian with all the $$$ they generate.
The NCAA, FIFA, and IOC have to be the most corrupt, bureaucratic and patronage jobs on the planet.

I honestly don't know who is worse Sepp Blatter or Mark Emmert.

Eventually the P5 will be autonomous. Still a part of the NC but in name only. It won't take that long either.

Lots of inherent hypocrisy in how heavy handed they are in some cases, versus being situationally lenient in others.

The seeds of the NCAAs undoing.

Remember how hypocritical and tortured Track and Field used to be under Avery Brundage? The NCAA has now surpassed that. The paradigm can't last much longer with the money involved.

Lots of inherent hypocrisy in how heavy handed they are in some cases, versus being situationally lenient in others.

The seeds of the NCAAs undoing.
That may be the case but I honestly don't think race had anything to do with how the penalties were doled out. Georgia was proactive while Texas A&M let the NCAA handle it on their own. There are plenty of cases of where racial overtures were at play see Notre Dame giving Tyrone Willingham only 3 years while Charlie Weiss got 5 years. That was BS and could be stated as a racial thing, but the NCAA hasn't suspended Jameis Winston yet because Florida State has copied the Texas A&M " see no evil find no evil" mindset.

That may be the case but I honestly don't think race had anything to do with how the penalties were doled out. Georgia was proactive while Texas A&M let the NCAA handle it on their own. There are plenty of cases of where racial overtures were at play see Notre Dame giving Tyrone Willingham only 3 years while Charlie Weiss got 5 years. That was BS and could be stated as a racial thing, but the NCAA hasn't suspended Jameis Winston yet because Florida State has copied the Texas A&M " see no evil find no evil" mindset.

My post wasn't about race. I agree 100%.