Tom Caporale: New Director of FL VA and JUCO Recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tom Caporale: New Director of FL VA and JUCO Recruiting

Did we secretly win a PowerBall jackpot?

Love the new hires, the new positions being created and the new “big boy” style of recruiting that’s happening.

Did playing in Yankee stadium this year suddenly make us flush with cash? Not complaining trust me just wondering who’s or how we are footing the bill?
It’s been me, had a good year on fan duel .

A regional director of recruiting. Yeah, the size of our new staff is gonna dwarf what we had before.

Big boy football.
Alabama had six guys in golf shirts in the huddle of their last play, none were the water boy.

Clemson has 1 guy for every two players on the field during warm up. And that’s for road games. It looks like they wear different shirts by role like an aircraft carrier crew.

Those programs dispensed with the 11 coach rule a long time ago.

Alabama had six guys in golf shirts in the huddle of their last play, none were the water boy.

Clemson has 1 guy for every two players on the field during warm up. And that’s for road games. It looks like they wear different shirts by role like an aircraft carrier crew.

I hope those six guys in golf shirts don’t get the blame for that play call. :)

Guess they don’t believe in the old saying my grandmother would repeat “too many cooks spoil the broth”. ;) (Her subtle way of telling me to get out of the kitchen)

I’m going with we had the money all along but JW didn’t trust Dino to spend it wisely.
We have money just what’s the ROI, wasn’t there with Dino nuggets

A regional director of recruiting. Yeah, the size of our new staff is gonna dwarf what we had before.

Big boy football.

Given how much they pay HS football coaches down south, the salary for this job must be in the couple hundred grand range? Brown came at a discount vs. Babers but the staff budget must be north of $10 million.

Clemson appeared to have more staff than players. Crazyness.

I listened to most of this interview. Not the best quality but there is no doubt Tom is personable and the kind of a guy recruits can relate to and enjoy spending time with.

Quick review of his background, which I don't see documented that well anywhere.

Played HS ball at Demarest HS, a small public HS in northern NJ. He was listed at 5'7 195 pounds then. They stunk and he helped lead them to state championship level in football and basketball. Had 153 tackles his senior season, which is crazy.

Went to Springfield College for college. Major training ground for coaches and strength and conditioning guys (believe he said 6 of the NFL S&C guys are from there). Of course, Springfield also produced Dick MacPherson (and Steve Spagnuolo, Charley Casserly, James Naismith, John Cena, Jeff Blatnick, Mike Woicik, etc.).

Went to Christopher Newport College to be a GA.

Went to Old Dominion after that.

Recruited Virginia hard during this time period. Especially Norfolk and Richmond.

Went to ASA Juco in Miami after that. That is where he got his background in the JUCO ranks.

Then went to Dr Krop HS in Miami, where he has been the HC of their HS football team. They were awful when he got there and have improved greatly since his arrival.

I don't see a staff member on the Georgia staff assigned to specific areas or to JUCO (or for any other school I checked for that matter). I think this is a new position and a different approach to staffing that Fran is taking.

Seems his passion is coaching DL. Thinking he make be the planned successor to Elijah as the DT coach if/when he leaves to become a HC somewhere. He fills a gap we have discussed where we really don't have anyone with strong Florida connections on the staff (or Richmond for that matter). His time at ASA in Miami also might help us recruiting the JUCO ranks.

Given how much they pay HS football coaches down south, the salary for this job must be in the couple hundred grand range? Brown came at a discount vs. Babers but the staff budget must be north of $10 million.
I think you’re confusing Florida with Texas. My guess is his total salary was in the
$60 to $80k range (teaching plus stipend for coaching). Syracuse probably doubled it.

No. I'm guessing Fran said, if you don't do this? You don't matter.. I've had the privilege of eating at Dino's house a few times. A really good guy. I think Fran is dropping a Hammer on Cuse football. This way, or die. I like it.
If you're not making the financial commitment to play with the big boys, you're going to find yourself back in FCS or in the group of 5 pretty quick it feels like. I love that we've decided to make that investment in the program. I hope it can be sustained.

Did we secretly win a PowerBall jackpot?

Love the new hires, the new positions being created and the new “big boy” style of recruiting that’s happening.

Did playing in Yankee stadium this year suddenly make us flush with cash? Not complaining trust me just wondering who’s or how we are footing the bill?

My take on this is that Syracuse's powers that be, etc., perhaps for the first time, are no longer viewing their football program myopically. It's "all in" now and hopefully placing themselves in the best position possible as the GoR clock ticks. Or, inevitably, be left without a chair to sit in when the music finally stops relative to playing college football at the highest level.

I listened to most of this interview. Not the best quality but there is no doubt Tom is personable and the kind of a guy recruits can relate to and enjoy spending time with.

Quick review of his background, which I don't see documented that well anywhere.

Played HS ball at Demarest HS, a small public HS in northern NJ. He was listed at 5'7 195 pounds then. They stunk and he helped lead them to state championship level in football and basketball. Had 153 tackles his senior season, which is crazy.

Went to Springfield College for college. Major training ground for coaches and strength and conditioning guys (believe he said 6 of the NFL S&C guys are from there). Of course, Springfield also produced Dick MacPherson (and Steve Spagnuolo, Charley Casserly, James Naismith, John Cena, Jeff Blatnick, Mike Woicik, etc.).

Recruited Virginia hard during this time period. Especially Norfolk and Richmond.

Went to ASA Juco in Miami after that. That is where he got his background in the JUCO ranks.

Then went to Dr Krop HS in Miami, where he has been the HC of their HS football team. They were awful when he got there and have improved greatly since his arrival.

I don't see a staff member on the Georgia staff assigned to specific areas or to JUCO (or for any other school I checked for that matter). I think this is a new position and a different approach to staffing that Fran is taking.

Seems his passion is coaching DL. Thinking he make be the planned successor to Elijah as the DT coach if/when he leaves to become a HC somewhere. He fills a gap we have discussed where we really don't have anyone with strong Florida connections on the staff (or Richmond for that matter). His time at ASA in Miami also might help us recruiting the JUCO ranks.
Thank you for doing the background work on this Tom

Very interesting note about his DL experience. Seems like Fran wants to build a young and ambitious staff where the chance to be promoted when good coaches leave is right there.
Indeed, Fran has said he wants a staff full of coaches who want to be head coaches some day.

On Dino's staff, you might identify one or two coaches who had a realistic chance to someday become a head coach.

On Fran's staff today, that number might be 5 or 6.

My local Highschool football team in GA has 17 coaches.

Indeed, Fran has said he wants a staff full of coaches who want to be head coaches some day.

On Dino's staff, you might identify one or two coaches who had a realistic chance to someday become a head coach.

On Fran's staff today, that number might be 5 or 6.
Confident and competent leaders bring in competent and confident subordinates.

This is one of the most encouraging hires so far. It shows that we recognize the importance of talent and are willing to create positions to procure it. It's no different than the Marriott Syracuse adding a sales coordinator just for Micron. They'd be stupid not to but you'd be surprised how many hospitality companies stick with the standard markets.

HCFB is definitely hiring a staff strategically to be successful specifically in Syracuse in a way that I'm not sure we've seen with some prior staffs (and I realize he seems to be dealing with a higher budget also)

I went to high school with him, I was a year younger but he is right his grade had some good athletes which finally made us competitive in football, but we just didn’t have the same footprint as our sister school Northern Valley Old Tappan who tends to be much better athletically (also where Lenny Cook played for a year). From what I remember he was a good guy and definitely a leader in both basketball and football.

I think you’re confusing Florida with Texas. My guess is his total salary was in the
$60 to $80k range (teaching plus stipend for coaching). Syracuse probably doubled it.
A good friend of mine’s son is a S&C coach. He’s had jobs including assistant and head strength & conditioning jobs at D1 schools in Indiana, California and Maryland plus a job with the government training in the Air Force after training athletes for the US Olympic weightlifting team. He’s only 35 years old and was approached by a Louisiana high school who offered more than he was making as the head of the Maryland D1 school. He took the job and his parents told us how shocked the were what they were paying him for high school sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom