Tom Izzo at his PC today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tom Izzo at his PC today

Any PR person associated with this should be fired.

He sounded stupid, he looked foolish and seemed shaken, unprepared.

I am in disbelief of how bad this was.

Absolutely agree! He should've been instructed to only answer questions specific about today's game, period. If the press pressed, he should've just kept on repeating the same thing. The female reporter was obviously sent there and prepared to somewhat ambush Izzo, who obviously wasn't prepped at all, which is just astonishing considering the scope and the potential continual fallout from the brewing storm.

Specifically what did Izzo do? He may be morally wrong but procedurally or legally, what did he do wrong?

Last edited:
He should have been honest and said that he let a guy who was good at basketball play because he was good at basketball, and he didn't really care if said guy hit or raped women. Because winning basketball games is much more important to him than some silly woman getting assaulted or raped.

Izzo is in the hook now but I guaran-damn-tee you that the majority of D1 coaches have let assault slide because winning.

He should have been honest and said that he let a guy who was good at basketball play because he was good at basketball, and he didn't really care if said guy hit or raped women. Because winning basketball games is much more important to him than some silly woman getting assaulted or raped.

Izzo is in the hook now but I guaran-damn-tee you that the majority of D1 coaches have let assault slide because winning.
Yes they have.

Absolutely agree! He should've been instructed to only answer questions specific about today's game, period. If the press pressed, he should've just kept on repeating the same thing. The female reporter was obviously sent there and prepared to somewhat ambush Izzo, who obviously wasn't prepped at all, which is just astonishing considering the scope and the potential continual fallout from the brewing storm.
Ambush? Really? It's a news conference. It's not like they showed up at his front door.

If the school didn't think these questions were going to come up, they deserve what happens. The first clue would be when OTL asked to be credentialed for the news conference.

It's astonishing how I'll prepared Izzo was for those questions.

In an odd way, he looked incredibly embarrassed, almost as if he was caught between legal advice to say "I've cooperated with every investigation" and his own moral compass knowing that he screwed up royally.

Ambush? Really? It's a news conference. It's not like they showed up at his front door.

If the school didn't think these questions were going to come up, they deserve what happens. The first clue would be when OTL asked to be credentialed for the news conference.

In an odd way, he looked incredibly embarrassed, almost as if he was caught between legal advice to say "I've cooperated with every investigation" and his own moral compass knowing that he screwed up royally.

And was it really worth it? Didn't Appling only play one season?

Seemed totally uncomfortable. He must be feeling some serious heat.

Looked like a dead man walking to me.

I thought the reporter asked solid questions and Izzo totally bombed it. How could he be so poorly prepped for that, it's not as if he hasn't been so consumed by this subject in the last week. He is so screwed if that is how is going to defend himself.

Seriously his canned answer wasnt even responsive. What the heck? How about “there is an ongoing investigation. I hope all the facts will come out in time but to maintain the integrity of the investigation, i cannot comment right now.”

I used the word ambush for effect, I probably should've used surprised, startled or stunned, take your pick. My larger point was that in no way, shape or form should he have answered or attempted to answer any of those questions in that particular forum, at that particular moment. It's a standard/contractual post game press conference, used to answer specific questions about the game that just ended. It's tough enough, at times, to answer questions about the game depending on the circumstances of it, and the typical high emotions that come as well immediately afterwards. Look how JB typically reacts at times when the post game questions are on point. Izzo is a fiery and emotional guy, and not in the proper mindset. This was not a news conference that the university called, prepared for, etc. to answer questions on this very sensitive subject matter. Human nature is quick to judge this or that, but it's easy from afar, when one has no idea what they would do under the same identical circumstances.

The other thing I've noticed (on twitter)...is that MSU fans were all appalled, as they should be, at the actions of Larry Nassar and were on board with having him fry for his actions. Even thanking the media for shedding light on what was going on,

But now that the light has moved to football and basketball, they're sounding a lot like Penn St fans...and the media is now muckraking.

I used the word ambush for effect, probably should've used surprised, startled or stunned, take your pick. My larger point was that in no way, shape or form should he have answered or attempted to answer any of those questions in that particular forum, at that particular moment. It's a standard/contractual post game press conference, universally used to answer specific questions about the game that just ended. It's tough enough, at times, to answer questions about the game depending on the circumstances of it, and the typical high emotions that come as well immediately afterwards. Look how JB typically reacts at times when the post game questions are on point. Izzo is a fiery and emotional guy, and not in the proper mindset. This was not a news conference that the university called, prepared for, etc. to answer questions on this very sensitive subject matter. Human nature is quick to judge this or that, but it's easy from afar, when one has no idea what they would do under the same identical circumstances.
Gotcha. Agreed that he shouldn't have tried to answer those questions...the school PR folks should have had a plan in place.

Clearly they miscalculated.

That last question is absolutely impossible to answer. "Do you have any regrets?"

It's either "Yes" and you're going to be portrayed as admitting guilt or "No" and you're an a*hole that has no remorse.

Granted the writing is on the wall for Izzo and it sucks that a coach I felt people could look up to made the decisions that he made, but I hear a journalist ask a question like that and I feel they are trying to frame their story not get to the truth.

Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black? Did Syracuse basketball not have a similar issue with Johnny Flynn, Scoop Jardine and Rick Jackson that magically disappeared in their freshman season.

Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black? Did Syracuse basketball not have a similar issue with Johnny Flynn, Scoop Jardine and Rick Jackson that magically disappeared in their freshman season.

I don’t get excited for any of this. I’m sure Syracuse has been loosey goosey w assaults as well.

Jim handled the Bernie situation as well as a coach could because he knew it was bull ship. Facts were on his side and he’s already well experienced w fighting w the media. Izzo looked like a guy who never gets bad pub.

Yes, and if that comes to light now, we can be (and perhaps should be) in the crosshairs.

Maybe it’s time to blow up the whole system.

.the school PR folks should have had a plan in place.

Clearly they miscalculated.
I wonder if the school is not throwing support in Izzo's direction. Either way, Izzo should have been more prepared.

I don't know if my memory serves me correctly or not, but didn't MCW's shoplifting charge magically become a misunderstanding? Different and less serious charge, but my point is not a single D1 program would come out unscathed if thoroughly investigated.

MSU isn't a blue blood school and they're good year after year. Maybe the powers that be don't like that. Watch out Jay Wright and Nova. Teams like UK, Duke and UNC can buy off any infractions. We all know what happened after SU won our lone Championship...

The system is a joke, and totally corrupt from the top down.

Last edited:
I don't know if my memory serves me correctly or not, but didn't MCW's shoplifting charge magically become a misunderstanding? Different and less serious charge, but my point is not a single D1 program would come out unscathed if thoroughly investigated.

MSU isn't a blue blood school and they're good year after year. Maybe the powers that be don't like that. Watch out Jay Wright and Nova. Teams like UK, Duke and UNC can buy off any infractions. We all know what happened after SU won our lone Championship...

The system is a joke, and totally corrupt from the top down.
At a lot of levels: d2, d3, juco, aau, some high schools.

If by magically disappear you mean that evidence was presented to a grand jury and the grand jury ruled that no charges should be filed, then yes, it magically disappeared.

However, sane logical thinkers believe that the case was public, and followed the judicial process and was dismissed.

I can't watch the PC right now. Was it about the Nassar case or about the sexual assaults allegedly committed by MSU basketball players?

If it's about the Nassar case, idk why Izzo would be under any obligation to field questions. He had no involvement in any of that.

If it's about the basketball players, then fair game, obviously.

I’ve called our pot black repeatedly. We’ve had several players smack women around and face little-to-no consequence.

No one in the sport is clean.

Last edited:
I don’t get excited for any of this. I’m sure Syracuse has been loosey goosey w assaults as well.

Jim handled the Bernie situation as well as a coach could because he knew it was bull ship. Facts were on his side and he’s already well experienced w fighting w the media. Izzo looked like a guy who never gets bad pub.

Ehhhhh, wast a fan on how JB handled it at all.

I used the word ambush for effect, I probably should've used surprised, startled or stunned, take your pick. My larger point was that in no way, shape or form should he have answered or attempted to answer any of those questions in that particular forum, at that particular moment. It's a standard/contractual post game press conference, used to answer specific questions about the game that just ended. It's tough enough, at times, to answer questions about the game depending on the circumstances of it, and the typical high emotions that come as well immediately afterwards. Look how JB typically reacts at times when the post game questions are on point. Izzo is a fiery and emotional guy, and not in the proper mindset. This was not a news conference that the university called, prepared for, etc. to answer questions on this very sensitive subject matter. Human nature is quick to judge this or that, but it's easy from afar, when one has no idea what they would do under the same identical circumstances.

Poor Tom. My heart aches for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom