Tony White | Syracusefan.com

Tony White

Millhouse

Living Legend
This sounds like some i'm so in the know game

He coaches cornerbacks here and there. He coached here during seasons that are a big reason why the head coach is going to get fired.

Nebraska is pretty good on defense this year.

May be offensive to some, but him being a minority is going to be a plus.

I believe his units developed the best talent we have had in a while, while he was here. Some of his guys are playing on Sunday - something that cannot be said for most of the other units we roll out.

When there was first real talk about letting JB go and the board was throwing out names left and right some realistic and some not. Certain posters started throwing out Red even though most of the board wanted to go outside and get a proven coach to turn the program around. Then Red was hired without even a national search….

Now those same posters are starting to drop the name Tony White so imagine now Tony White will be the next head coach if they have the same connections to the football side. I have a strong opinion that we should always hire offense as we will never recruit good enough to play defense first football but I guess we will find out because it seems White will be the hire.

Last edited:
May be offensive to some, but him being a minority is going to be a plus.

I believe his units developed the best talent we have had in a while, while he was here. Some of his guys are playing on Sunday - something that cannot be said for most of the other units we roll out.
It can definitely rankle feathers if race is any factor in this coaching search. it’s very hard to find qualified candidates who have potential to succeed here… last thing we should be doing is giving weight to something that has no bearing on job skills. if someone can point me to some data that proves otherwise I’ll listen… but it certainly didn’t help Babers.

If we go DC, who does he bring in to fix this offense? I get that Tony is a younger fiery guy, maybe he is a decent recruiter. I'm not a fan of the 3-3-5 so we will be stuck with that still. That isn't the worst thing. I just want to know how they fix the offense with a guy thats been on the defensive side his whole life.

Then again, we hired an offensive guru who was smoke and mirrors. It literally can't get worse than what we just saw.

He coaches cornerbacks here and there. He coached here during seasons that are a big reason why the head coach is going to get fired.

It works if he hires a guy like Seth Littrell as OC and commit to Air Raid offense like you have suggested.

If we go DC, who does he bring in to fix this offense? I get that Tony is a younger fiery guy, maybe he is a decent recruiter. I'm not a fan of the 3-3-5 so we will be stuck with that still. That isn't the worst thing. I just want to know how they fix the offense with a guy thats been on the defensive side his whole life.

Then again, we hired an offensive guru who was smoke and mirrors. It literally can't get worse than what we just saw.
Maybe he can bring Scott Frost in on a redemption tour as OC

Sarcasm, but really, bring in Scott Frost and Dan Mullen

I don’t care who the HC is as long as he doesn’t revert us to an outdated offensive philosophy… has proven he can build a program… and has enough NIL cash to buy a roster.

It can definitely rankle feathers if race is any factor in this coaching search. it’s very hard to find qualified candidates who have potential to succeed here… last thing we should be doing is giving weight to something that has no bearing on job skills. if someone can point me to some data that proves otherwise I’ll listen… but it certainly didn’t help Babers.
Gotta remember who is making the decision in this case. Same group whom were enamored with Nancy and Daryl.

Maybe he can bring Scott Frost in on a redemption tour as OC

Sarcasm, but really, bring in Scott Frost and Dan Mullen
Man did Frost bomb out of his dream job after going undefeated (with prior coach's players) at UCF.

I can’t, he’s a defensive coach. We need an offensive mind.

SU football is such a bad/tough job maybe the worst in P5 that I think its a huge plus that he 'worked here' before and had some success. Job may simply be too hard for anyone brand new.

He can't screw up the OC hire and bring in a McDonald or Gilbert. Will the university pay the right coordinator who knows?

I still want Bob Chesney, I’d love Dan Mullen and so far those are my 1a 1b hires. I’d feel very indifferent with Tony White. Wouldn’t overly hate it but I wouldn’t take him over either of the 2 I mentioned.

My biggest worry about bringing in a defensive first HC is we have a massive massive problem at QB and WR how is he going to fix that? He can get and coach up defensive players can he do the same on the offensive side of the ball? When you are lacking in talent which we will always be we need to be able to put up points in rock fights we will get out talented more often than not.

My biggest worry about bringing in a defensive first HC is we have a massive massive problem at QB and WR how is he going to fix that? He can get and coach up defensive players can he do the same on the offensive side of the ball? When you are lacking in talent which we will always be we need to be able to put up points in rock fights we will get out talented more often than not.
Would need a big hire at OC.

You guys make too much of a distinction between offensive minded and defensive minded coaches. We have a so called offensive genius now. How is that working out? Defensive coaches are capable of hiring people that are innovative and get good offensive players. Freeman at ND and even Saleh for NYJ have done that.

What you don’t want is head coaches that serve those roles or meddle. See Dino or Josh McDaniels as examples

SU football is such a bad/tough job maybe the worst in P5 that I think its a huge plus that he 'worked here' before and had some success. Job may simply be too hard for anyone brand new.

He can't screw up the OC hire and bring in a McDonald or Gilbert. Will the university pay the right coordinator who knows?
It doesn’t have to be. We have the most unique home field in the country, and it could be a major advantage.

Early Dino seemed to get that(didn’t he say “we have a Dome and you don’t” or something?), and we pulled major upsets on VT and Clemson, and then went undefeated at home in 2018.

The right system should make us a nightmare to play in that facility. To me, having something unique like that means we aren’t the worst.

Also think being the only game in town could be an advantage over schools that nobody cares about in pro cities.

We don't need another defensive coach. Certainly not a retread. Syracuse needs a young innovative offensive mind. Syracuse needs Deion without the baggage. Someone to excite the fan base again, and someone offensive players want to come play for.
If anything we've taken from other SU coaching hires, Wildhack is not one to take massive risks. White checks the boxes of an emerging coach with SU 'ties'.

Right or wrong, this is how Wildhack operates and will likely be the choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom