Trevor Cooney appreciation thread. | Syracusefan.com

Trevor Cooney appreciation thread.

Trevor was lights out today. He was the sole reason we opened up a huge lead right away. He not only was unconscious with his shooting, he did everything well. Passes, steals, rebounds. When they took him away by keying on him, he didn't force the issue. Two stellar performances in his last three games.

Love JB's final comment from his presser regarding TC. It definitely won't sit well with the experts here.
Please tell us what he said.

I think Boeheim's strategy should be to unleash the Coon at the beginning of every game. All focus should be on getting Trevor the ball and then getting out of the way!

Love JB's final comment from his presser regarding TC. It definitely won't sit well with the experts here.
At Foothills brewery after the game so didn't catch the presser. What was said?

Was he in a good mood or are we in store for another long thread?
JB is usually cordial during his "away game" pressers. Nothing noteworthy other than the comments directed to the folks in CNY.

At Foothills brewery after the game so didn't catch the presser. What was said?
The last question was something like "Trevor was really locked in have you ever seen him shoot like that before?"

JB's paraphrased response: Yes, many many times. He's a pretty good shooter. Most people understand that except the people back in Syracuse.

That was an incredible display in the first six or seven minutes - simultaneously playing within himself yet outscoring Wake on his own. Great to see.

Cooney has looked so much better lately (sans the BC game), he's setting his feet and isn't taking fadeaway contested shots. He's also mixing it up by driving so teams have to respect that.

The last question was something like "Trevor was really locked in have you ever seen him shoot like that before?"

JB's paraphrased response: Yes, many many times. He's a pretty good shooter. Most people understand that except the people back in Syracuse.

I'll bite.

Here's the thing, why go ahead and say such a thing? It's snide & condescending. He's dissing the people back in Syracuse, oh, yeah, the ones that have overwhelmingly supported him, and his team through the years. It's just uncalled for. People in Syracuse are generally pretty knowledgeable about the game and it's a direct slap in the face. We all know Cooney is streaky, his stats over the past three seasons clearly support this...he's on a good streak at the moment, hopefully, it continues. Certainly the good folks who support the program, even the people back in Syracuse, will be rooting for Cooney and SU to continue its current streak.

Cooney has looked so much better lately (sans the BC game), he's setting his feet and isn't taking fadeaway contested shots. He's also mixing it up by driving so teams have to respect that.

Yeah, his first half was great - not just for the shooting either. He grabbed some boards, steals, and a nice dish (maybe more than 1). Good all-around performance. Would have had a quadruple-double, but JB rested him too much. :)

Oh please the lot of u wanted to run him out of town a week plus ago.

The same lot of u r singing his praises now.

We'll bump this when he goes 2-12.

Guess what? That's the player he is. Great game today. Was really awesome to watch, wish he got to throw that dunk down too.

Let's not kid ourselves- trevor is who he is. He's a streaky player who can make shots but also miss a lot of ill-advised ones. That's not me hating on him.

Hopefully he can have more (similar) games like this the rest of the way!

We'll bump this when he goes 2-12.

Guess what? That's the player he is. Great game today. Was really awesome to watch, wish he got to throw that dunk down too.

Let's not kid ourselves- trevor is who he is. He's a streaky player who can make shots but also miss a lot of ill-advised ones. That's not me hating on him.

Hopefully he can have more (similar) games like this the rest of the way!
I think instead of bumping this thread next time he goes 2 for 12 we should start a new one bashing him.

Oh please the lot of u wanted to run him out of town a week plus ago.

The same lot of u r singing his praises now.

Name names. Without some specificity, this is just an 'as annoying,' told ya so bit of preachiness from the back of a tall equine.

I always say Trevor can shoot as much as he likes, as long as he goes straight up and down. The side to side fading is what makes him wild and inconsistent. But because he works and defends, I'm fine with his efforts regardless. In my book, it's the coaches' faults for not reigning him in technique/execution-wise. But, he went to school five minutes from where I grew up, so I've been in his corner since before he signed up.

orangecuse said:
People in Syracuse are generally pretty knowledgeable about the game...

Sry, I'll line up with JB here (on his comment)...but no way. There may be knowledgable people about the game in Syracuse, but it's absolutely not people in general.

Queue the myriad posts now about the "fan" in "fanatic" and blah blah blah.

44cuse

Sry, I'll line up with JB here (on his comment)...but no way. There may be knowledgable people about the game in Syracuse, but it's absolutely not people in general.

Queue the myriad posts now about the "fan" in "fanatic" and blah blah blah.

44cuse

Good 'ol semantics...I'll attempt to clarify the rhetoric, or at least my interpretation of it.

When JB referred to "people in Syracuse" in his presser I doubt he was referring to the census in Syracuse who really give a hoot about SU sports, etc. as they're certainly not the ones calling in after games, voicing their opinions, making comments he doesn't care for, etc. So, when he refers to "people in Syracuse" he's referring to the specific segment of the population that do care, go to games, travel for events, support the program, etc. as they're the ones who do voice their concerns, opinions, etc. I'm not saying that there aren't Syracuse fans who don't get carried away with some of their comments or remarks, especially after a difficult loss, etc., but, imo, the majority of Syracuse fans "in Syracuse," are indeed pretty knowledgeable about the game. Not that this qualifies my view, but I've heard on numerous broadcasts over the years announcers uttering the likes along the lines of...these fans in Syracuse know their basketball, or something to that effect.

I'll bite.

Here's the thing, why go ahead and say such a thing? It's snide & condescending. He's dissing the people back in Syracuse, oh, yeah, the ones that have overwhelmingly supported him, and his team through the years. It's just uncalled for. People in Syracuse are generally pretty knowledgeable about the game and it's a direct slap in the face. We all know Cooney is streaky, his stats over the past three seasons clearly support this...he's on a good streak at the moment, hopefully, it continues. Certainly the good folks who support the program, even the people back in Syracuse, will be rooting for Cooney and SU to continue its current streak.
If the shoe that JB sold fits, wear it. If not, don't worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom