Trevor Cooney appreciation thread. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Trevor Cooney appreciation thread.

orangecuse said:
Good 'ol semantics...I'll attempt to clarify the rhetoric, or at least my interpretation of it. When JB referred to "people in Syracuse" in his presser I doubt he was referring to the census in Syracuse who really give a hoot about SU sports, etc. as they're certainly not the ones calling in after games, voicing their opinions, making comments he doesn't care for, etc. So, when he refers to "people in Syracuse" he's referring to the specific segment of the population that do care, go to games, travel for events, support the program, etc. as they're the ones who do voice their concerns, opinions, etc. I'm not saying that there aren't Syracuse fans who don't get carried away with some of their comments or remarks, especially after a difficult loss, etc., but, imo, the majority of Syracuse fans "in Syracuse," are indeed pretty knowledgeable about the game. Not that this qualifies my view, but I've heard on numerous broadcasts over the years announcers uttering the likes along the lines of...these fans in Syracuse know their basketball, or something to that effect.

I know what you meant when you wrote it the first time. That said, I really appreciate that you didn't take massive offense (a board trait) and replied with a thoughtful response further clarifying (which you didn't have to do) what you meant. Thank you for not acting like the masses.

I'll say I WANT to agree with you, and perhaps you are right. This board would not be the best reflection of that however (hence the "fan" and " fanatic" comment).

44cuse

It's all about squaring himself to the basket and not fading to one side as he shoots.

I'll bite.

Here's the thing, why go ahead and say such a thing? It's snide & condescending. He's dissing the people back in Syracuse, oh, yeah, the ones that have overwhelmingly supported him, and his team through the years. It's just uncalled for. People in Syracuse are generally pretty knowledgeable about the game and it's a direct slap in the face. We all know Cooney is streaky, his stats over the past three seasons clearly support this...he's on a good streak at the moment, hopefully, it continues. Certainly the good folks who support the program, even the people back in Syracuse, will be rooting for Cooney and SU to continue its current streak.
He said some people. And that is true. Not me, though. I've never ever said a negative thing about the Coon God, ever!! :rolleyes:

I can promise myself one thing. I am not saying or thinking anything even remotely "shakey" about him or any of the other players for the rest of the season. My "love and light" thingie is working!

Edit: I was wrong. He did not say "some" people. D'oh!

Last edited:
Oh please the lot of u wanted to run him out of town a week plus ago.

The same lot of u r singing his praises now.

fwoMVk.gif

It's all about squaring himself to the basket and not fading to one side as he shoots.
Well, ideally that is what you want to do but what you need to understand is that most teams( and Wake obviously didn't get the memo) never allow Cooney to get set. He usually has to run a mile to get any kind of look. Try doing that with a guy in your hip pocket and go straight up. Not too easy,is it?

He said some people. And that is true. Not me, though. I've never ever said a negative thing about the Coon God, ever!! :rolleyes:

I can promise myself one thing. I am not saying or thinking anything even remotely "shakey" about him or any of the other players for the rest of the season. My "love and light" thingie is working!

I watched it again...he never said "some." He responded to the reporter's question, then subsequently uttered the unflattering remark that... "people in Syracuse don't realize that, people in other cities do though."

Oh please the lot of u wanted to run him out of town a week plus ago.

The same lot of u r singing his praises now.

I'm not sure what you get out of trying to prove that your some internet toughguy super fan to a bunch of people you don't know on a message board.

TC had an awesome game. I hope he keeps it up. But he's just as likely to put up a big old 1-9 from three on Monday.

And saying that doesn't mean I want him "run out of town" or whatever. It's just an objective assessment based on 3.5 years of observation aka being a grown up.

I watched it again...he never said "some." He responded to the reporter's question, then subsequently uttered the unflattering remark that... "people in Syracuse don't realize that, people in other cities do though."

Is this really a big deal? Of course Boeheim doesn't really think that ALL Syracuse fans think that way regardless what he said in a presser. He often says things for effect, which I believe is what he was doing yesterday. Nonetheless, the point that he was making is true. Non-SU fans do seem to think of Cooney as a better and more consistent shooter than 'Cuse fans who watch him play every game. Just listen to the announcers next game. They often talk like Cooney taking an open three is like another player making a layup. 'Cuse fans know that just isn't true despite what we wish.

Jb's comments in his pressers seem to be working for the team. Roberson and Cooney are playing some of their best ball. I hope he keeps up these comments. The entertainment value we get from the analysis of his pressers is priceless.

Is this really a big deal? Of course Boeheim doesn't really think that ALL Syracuse fans think that way regardless what he said in a presser. He often says things for effect, which I believe is what he was doing yesterday. Nonetheless, the point that he was making is true. Non-SU fans do seem to think of Cooney as a better and more consistent shooter than 'Cuse fans who watch him play every game. Just listen to the announcers next game. They often talk like Cooney taking an open three is like another player making a layup. 'Cuse fans know that just isn't true despite what we wish.

No it isn't...it is what it is. I was just responding to a "reply" post, so I went back to see for myself and then responded. Just some banter on a message board...peace.

You are right! I listened to it again. Probably just wishful thinking on my part that he could go through a PC without disparaging anyone.

You are right! I listened to it again. Probably just wishful thinking on my part that he could go through a PC without disparaging anyone.

No doubt, especially after such a solid win on the road and so many positives. But then that wouldn't be our beloved JB, he just can't help himself. :)

I'll bite.

Here's the thing, why go ahead and say such a thing? It's snide & condescending. He's dissing the people back in Syracuse, oh, yeah, the ones that have overwhelmingly supported him, and his team through the years. It's just uncalled for. People in Syracuse are generally pretty knowledgeable about the game and it's a direct slap in the face. We all know Cooney is streaky, his stats over the past three seasons clearly support this...he's on a good streak at the moment, hopefully, it continues. Certainly the good folks who support the program, even the people back in Syracuse, will be rooting for Cooney and SU to continue its current streak.
How do his stats clearly support this? Are you suggesting he is streakier than anyone else, or are all 3 pt shooter streaky? Of course he (everyone) is going to not shoot exactly the same percentage every night.

To me, what you are implying is TC has more variance than other people. You claim this is clearly supported. Do you want to share what support you have for this claim?

I went back and looked at the game logs and for the year, Cooney has 14 games where he is at 33.3% from three or above, Gbinije has 10, and Richardson has 9.
I used 33.3% because that is equal to 50% from two.

I think G and Richardson are far more streaky shooters. G is 8 for his last 44 from three going back to Texas Southern. Hopefully he gets hot tomorrow.

I went back and looked at the game logs and for the year, Cooney has 14 games where he is at 33.3% from three or above, Gbinije has 10, and Richardson has 9.

I think G and Richardson are far more streaky shooters. G is 8 for his last 44 from three going back to Texas Southern. Hopefully he gets hot tomorrow.
I've said this many times on here, but some people should take the time to look at the game logs of good college and NBA 3-point shooters past and present to get an idea of what can reasonably be expected from these guys.

It's hard to address the "streaky" criticism. It is kind of a vague concept referring to variance.

I find it a little ironic that orangecuse finds JB snide and condescending to the local fans criticizing Cooney. And then orangecuse goes and illustrates what JB is talking about. The "We all know Cooney is streaky" comment. This is a local unsupported criticism based on nothing more than the myopic view of Cooney have a variance in shooting percentage.

It's hard to address the "streaky" criticism. It is kind of a vague concept referring to variance.

I find it a little ironic that orangecuse finds JB snide and condescending to the local fans criticizing Cooney. And then orangecuse goes and illustrates what JB is talking about. The "We all know Cooney is streaky" comment. This is a local unsupported criticism based on nothing more than the myopic view of Cooney have a variance in shooting percentage.

I've been labeled as a Cooney "fan club" member, so I'm sure someone will respond to me disparaging that post, but unless you play in the Golden State Warrior backcourt chances are you are going to have some cold streaks.

I think people are still frustrated that Cooney tanked down the stretch two years ago and they haven't been able to get that out of their head, hence the over analysis of every missed shot he has.

Cusefan0307 said:
I went back and looked at the game logs and for the year, Cooney has 14 games where he is at 33.3% from three or above, Gbinije has 10, and Richardson has 9. I used 33.3% because that is equal to 50% from two. I think G and Richardson are far more streaky shooters. G is 8 for his last 44 from three going back to Texas Southern. Hopefully he gets hot tomorrow.

I can't wait for the game where TC, G and Mali each go off for 5-8 along with a couple from Tyler. Hopefully it's tomorrow night.

The last question was something like "Trevor was really locked in have you ever seen him shoot like that before?"

JB's paraphrased response: Yes, many many times. He's a pretty good shooter. Most people understand that except the people back in Syracuse.
Pretty clear that we are a much improved team with James Arthur Boeheim in the starting lineup.

I can't wait for the game where TC, G and Mali each go off for 5-8 along with a couple from Tyler. Hopefully it's tomorrow night.

Lydon is an interesting player. IMO he's got by far the best pure stroke on the team.
He's got the most room to grow on this team. Let it fly kid, and stop deferring to the other guys so much.

Lydon is an interesting player. IMO he's got by far the best pure stroke on the team.
He's got the most room to grow on this team. Let it fly kid, and stop deferring to the other guys so much.
Agree, huge upside. The last time we had a long forward come in who could block shots inside and shoot from the outside ... was McCullough. Lydon's way ahead from the perimeter, of course. Both averaged about 2 blocks per game and 6.5 - 7 rpg. So that's an idea of the company Lydon's going to be keeping as we watch him develop.

I think we'd be seeing even more of his skills if we weren't struggling as a team. Playing him at the 5 is obviously a bandaid -- clearly not the position that fits him. And facing so much game pressure has meant that he can't take risks and try things out there. He'll get his chance next year ... as we become deeper at center and forward.

One more thing [by edit] .. I should mention that the OP's nice to see on a board so often preoccupied with Trevor Cooney's shooting on a particular night.

Last edited:
Well, ideally that is what you want to do but what you need to understand is that most teams( and Wake obviously didn't get the memo) never allow Cooney to get set. He usually has to run a mile to get any kind of look. Try doing that with a guy in your hip pocket and go straight up. Not too easy,is it?

True but not contradictory to what I said.

How do his stats clearly support this? Are you suggesting he is streakier than anyone else, or are all 3 pt shooter streaky? Of course he (everyone) is going to not shoot exactly the same percentage every night.

To me, what you are implying is TC has more variance than other people. You claim this is clearly supported. Do you want to share what support you have for this claim?
Every shooter has streaks.
Trevor's prolonged streaks of missed are usually mechanically based (floating on his shot, steppin off the FT line) so they go a bit longer than really great shooters.
Kyle Korver missed at least 18 3 pt. shots in a row this year.

I'm not sure what you get out of trying to prove that your some internet toughguy super fan to a bunch of people you don't know on a message board.

TC had an awesome game. I hope he keeps it up. But he's just as likely to put up a big old 1-9 from three on Monday.

And saying that doesn't mean I want him "run out of town" or whatever. It's just an objective assessment based on 3.5 years of observation aka being a grown up.
I agree totally. TC is so inconsistent. Some of it is the defense played against him and some of it is not. You are totally objective in your assessment. I love not only his intensity on the court but that of the whole team. But he's been doing this for, as you said, 3.5 years. Will it change? I hope so.

Interesting that you would single out that small snippet when the premise of the argument wasn't the impetus of the post. I guess, kudos to you for singling that out, I doubt I'll be able to find (in the literal sense) statistics that "clearly" support he's a streaky shooter as stats of that nature probably don't exist. I should've just wrote that TC is a streaky shooter, period. Maybe, I could've possibly added something along the lines that we have lived through that experience for the past three seasons. Really, the point I was attempting to make there was that he's a streaky shooter, at least in my opinion...with no other implications drawn.

I'll inform you that what you think I was implying is clearly your thinking, which, you've acknowledged yourself. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom