Trying to talk myself into this... | Syracusefan.com

Trying to talk myself into this...

BostonOrange

2nd String
...ok here goes
- Indiana has no size other than Zeller. Watford is long but a finesse player.
- they have no shot blockers at all which should benefit Fair immensely and also our guards on penetration. They can drive more aggressively to score knowing there is no Dieng back there.
- We are clearly bothered by pressure, but I don't think Indiana really has the personnel to press us. Yeah VO is considered an elite defender, but he isn't a waterbug like Lville's guards, and he can only guard one guy. Hulls and Ferrell...ehhh...they are nice players but not guys you need to gameplan for.
- JS is on a great shooting role and unless they put Watford or VO on him, which would weaken, them elsewhere, he shouldn't have any trouble getting his shot off
- Indiana is a great shooting team, but we do a very good job closing out on shooters.
- I don't get the sense that Ind likes the rough stuff and we can be very physical. I think this is a game where we actually want the refs to swallow their whistles.
- 10 fouls to use on Zeller, more if DC gets a few minutes to beat on him.
- BMK is on fire
- Triche is due. In fact the majority of our team is due.
- I REALLY want us to win, which must count for something.

Isn't Watford the one who made that game-saving block against Temple? Was that an anomaly?

If Indiana is smart (I think they are) they'll use their quick guards to pressure MCW all the way up the floor on every possession then play off of him and dare him to shoot in the half-court set. That could take him out of the game, because then he can't use the blow by and Lord knows he can't shoot.

Indiana is ranked in the Top 20 in defensive efficiency. I don't like that.

This is going to be a difficult game for Syracuse to win. We'll need contributions from everyone to pull it off. Play offense like they did against Cal and they'll lose by 20 or more. Triche and Dirty hitting open shots will be critical.

...ok here goes
- they have no shot blockers at all which should benefit Fair immensely and also our guards on penetration. They can drive more aggressively to score knowing there is no Dieng back there.
- We are clearly bothered by pressure, but I don't think Indiana really has the personnel to press us. Yeah VO is considered an elite defender, but he isn't a waterbug like Lville's guards, and he can only guard one guy. Hulls and Ferrell...ehhh...they are nice players but not guys you need to gameplan for.
- JS is on a great shooting role and unless they put Watford or VO on him, which would weaken, them elsewhere, he shouldn't have any trouble getting his shot off
- Indiana is a great shooting team, but we do a very good job closing out on shooters.
- I don't get the sense that Ind likes the rough stuff and we can be very physical. I think this is a game where we actually want the refs to swallow their whistles.
- BMK is on fire

Indiana is definitely favored in this one, but its a good matchup for us. I would MUCH rather play Indiana than Michigan, Florida, Duke, etc... As many have stated in other threads, we are a tough matchup for the Hoosiers. Wherever they put oladipo, the other two guys (out of MCW-Triche-Fair) will have substantial advantages over their defender. I think if we shoot good, not great even, we have a good chance to win.

I have been down on Cuse for quite a while, but this matchup is not bad for us. The only obvious problem is that Zoeller will eat our centers alive.

Indiana is definitely favored in this one, but its a good matchup for us. I would MUCH rather play Indiana than Michigan, Florida, Duke, etc... As many have stated in other threads, we are a tough matchup for the Hoosiers. Wherever they put oladipo, the other two guys (out of MCW-Triche-Fair) will have substantial advantages over their defender. I think if we shoot good, not great even, we have a good chance to win.

I have been down on Cuse for quite a while, but this matchup is not bad for us. The only obvious problem is that Zoeller will eat our centers alive.
zoeller_storytop.jpg

I think a lot of us are trying to talk ourselves into this one. Not because we have no chance of winning but because Indiana has the tools to crack our zone. They certainly shoot well enough to pull us out beyond the perimeter and they have a few options that are good enough to knock down shots from the top of the key or pass to a man in the gap along the baseline. This is the best offensive team we've faced all year without a doubt so our defense, as solid as it has been, needs to have a great game. We must force some turnovers and limit any second chance opportunities. On our offensive end, our seniors both must have very good games but we can't survive on long jumpers alone. 65 points won't win this one for us, we have to get 75+. On the bright side, we are due for a game where Triche, Southy and Fair all have good offensive games.

They key is getting out on those small guards so the dont jack up 3's all night. If they can keep the ball in front of them and recover, they will have a chance. Our zone was able to shut down the small guards of Oklahoma in 2003, both guards were 6'

...ok here goes
- BMK is on fire

I'm sold.

I think a lot of us are trying to talk ourselves into this one. Not because we have no chance of winning but because Indiana has the tools to crack our zone. They certainly shoot well enough to pull us out beyond the perimeter and they have a few options that are good enough to knock down shots from the top of the key or pass to a man in the gap along the baseline. This is the best offensive team we've faced all year without a doubt so our defense, as solid as it has been, needs to have a great game. We must force some turnovers and limit any second chance opportunities. On our offensive end, our seniors both must have very good games but we can't survive on long jumpers alone. 65 points won't win this one for us, we have to get 75+. On the bright side, we are due for a game where Triche, Southy and Fair all have good offensive games.

If i knew you, i would bet any amount of money you want that Indiana does not score 75 points. That 100% will not happen. We may lose, but not due to that. if we get 70 points, we win the game.

Indiana scored 58 against temple. If we play defense like we did against Cal I am not worried about our Defense. Brandon needs to make shots.

Indiana scored 58 against temple. If we play defense like we did against Cal I am not worried about our Defense. Brandon needs to make shots.
Syracuse scored 39 against 1st round loser Georgetown

...ok here goes

I don't think Zeller is actually that big. IU has him listed at 7'0 which reminds me of Notre Dame listing Harangoonie @ 6'10. Zeller looked small again the Temple bigs the same way Harangody looked short standing next to Kris Joseph who was 6'7. I'll be amazed if Zeller measures taller than 6'9 at the NBA combine.

Isn't Watford the one who made that game-saving block against Temple? Was that an anomaly?

If Indiana is smart (I think they are) they'll use their quick guards to pressure MCW all the way up the floor on every possession then play off of him and dare him to shoot in the half-court set. That could take him out of the game, because then he can't use the blow by and Lord knows he can't shoot.

This is going to be a difficult game for Syracuse to win. We'll need contributions from everyone to pull it off. Play offense like they did against Cal and they'll lose by 20 or more. Triche and Dirty hitting open shots will be critical.

Good post. I was about the say the same thing re: Watford. That was him on the block. I think your point about MCW is my main concern. Our offense is mediocre anyways. If they hound him with their small guards which is what I would do then it could really get us out of our offense or just create turnovers/strips/etc.

I think the key will be how IU attacks the zone. If they can move the ball against the zone like Pitt and G'Town often do, it will be very hard to recover to all of their shooters. However, if they get flustered like Cal did, I could see them being taken out of their game. I'm very curious to see how Boeheim guards Zeller in the high post. Unless Zeller goes wild and gets the bigs in foul trouble, I hope the plan is to not pinch down as much, and make Zeller the playmaker. As good as he is, I'm much more concerned about Watford and Hulls getting open looks from deep.

Good post. I was about the say the same thing re: Watford. That was him on the block. I think your point about MCW is my main concern. Our offense is mediocre anyways. If they hound him with their small guards which is what I would do then it could really get us out of our offense or just create turnovers/strips/etc.
That was a great block but he averages .5 blocks per game, which is the same as MCW. Indiana only blocks 4 shots a game which is pretty low.

That was a great block but he averages .5 blocks per game, which is the same as MCW. Indiana only blocks 4 shots a game which is pretty low.

Oh no doubt. He's just capable of making that play obviously. I am not really worried about them inside too much.

I agree with you, except that I think Zeller won't eat us alive unless he is getting favorable treatment on the foul calls. My biggest concern is 2 fouls each on Rak and Baye 5 minutes into the game. As long as they don't get that kind of favoritism on the early calls, I like our chances here.

I agree with you, except that I think Zeller won't eat us alive unless he is getting favorable treatment on the foul calls. My biggest concern is 2 fouls each on Rak and Baye 5 minutes into the game. As long as they don't get that kind of favoritism on the early calls, I like our chances here.

The bigger worry is James having to come over to help and picking up 5 touch fouls like he did against Cal.

I don't think Zeller is actually that big. IU has him listed at 7'0 which reminds me of Notre Dame listing Harangoonie @ 6'10. Zeller looked small again the Temple bigs the same way Harangody looked short standing next to Kris Joseph who was 6'7. I'll be amazed if Zeller measures taller than 6'9 at the NBA combine.

Speaking of Notre Dame, that's who Indiana reminds me of a bit offensively. People say this will be the best offensive team we've faced this year, but they're kind of like an ND team in terms of the way they play. Good guard play, outside shooters who can beat the zone, a horse in the middle who can give you good low post offense. We can beat that kind of team, especially since their guards are so small. It comes down to the officials, IMO. If Zeller gets star player protection from the refs, Indiana could shoot 40 FTs against us and win.

...ok here goes
- BMK is on fire

Ill buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of Notre Dame, that's who Indiana reminds me of a bit offensively. People say this will be the best offensive team we've faced this year, but they're kind of like an ND team in terms of the way they play. Good guard play, outside shooters who can beat the zone, a horse in the middle who can give you good low post offense. We can beat that kind of team, especially since their guards are so small. It comes down to the officials, IMO. If Zeller gets star player protection from the refs, Indiana could shoot 40 FTs against us and win.

I'm more worried about the refs than I am about IU. I'm not sure I can deal with a repeat of the Ohio State game last year.

I can see the similarity w/ ND and IU just IU is the varsity squad and ND is the JV or freshman team.

Everybody always theoretically knows how to get shots against our zone and make them. Until they face it. We have very good length, recover extremely quickly, and turn teams over. I'm sure every single coach and player thinks they have the key before tipoff and then get a dose of reality moments later. We will need to do what we usually do plus make some shots, not only for the sake of scoring but to keep IU from running. As usual our guards will be the key. We probably need something from Cooney this game, too.

I'm more concerned about being able to stop them defensively. They have multiple good outside shooters, a slasher in Oladipo and a low-post finished in Zeller. My fear is that they will really stretch the zone out and feed it Oladipo to drive and score or dish and JS gets in foul trouble (again) which takes him out of our offense. If JS has 2 fouls in the 1st half, JB should pull him because he can't seem to back off any. That 3rd foul at the end of the half on Saturday was stupid.

I think solid 1st half contributions from TC and JG will be needed Thursday to take some pressure off BT and JS so that they can relax and come up big in the 2nd half.

Cal knew how to get the right shots against our zone. Unfortunately for them, they only shot 4-21 from 3 (19%). If they had gone 6-21 (29%), which is still pretty miserable, it would have gone to overtime.

We have looked pretty good so far in the tournament and we stack up nicely against these guys, but we need to hit our shots to get the win. It will probably be a squeaker.

If Indiana is smart intelligent (I think they are) they'll use their quick guards to pressure MCW all the way up the floor on every possession then play off of him and dare him to shoot in the half-court set. That could take him out of the game, because then he can't use the blow by and Lord knows he can't shoot.

Sorry, I had to fix this, but Indiana and that 5 letter word should not be mentioned together at this time. I also am considering converting my handle here to just plain MELOK for this week, for similar reasons, but I think I might be overthinking things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom