Tubby Out At Minny | Syracusefan.com

Tubby Out At Minny

I like Tubby Smith. From the outside looking in, he ran a clean and competitive program at both Minnesota and Kentucky (shocking). I am sure he will find a good job, whether it is a mid major that wants a great coach, or another big name team.

Really?! It's Minnesota. What do they expect?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
I feel like the perfect thing for Tubby would be if Brad Stevens jumps at one of the big jobs and he lands at Butler, or another similar situation.

Winning just over 60% during your tenure and losing 12 out of your last 18 games will not get you a contract extension...

The AD thinks he can get Shaka again. Hope he has a deal in place before canning Tubby.

I like Tubby Smith. From the outside looking in, he ran a clean and competitive program at both Minnesota and Kentucky (shocking). I am sure he will find a good job, whether it is a mid major that wants a great coach, or another big name team.

Living in Minneapolis [surrounded by Gopher fans], I think it is the same situation as what transpired at UK. He DOES run a clean ship, but the offense is so god awful and the games so boring that the fanbase eventually gets frustrated. And he doesn't win enough to make that worth putting up with [again, same as with UK, albeit on a different level].

:noidea: Several of my coworkers are thrilled today about this news. They think Smart is imminent, but I don't see it, even with the ties that the new U of M AD has to Smart.

Living in Minneapolis [surrounded by Gopher fans], I think it is the same situation as what transpired at UK. He DOES run a clean ship, but the offense is so god awful and the games so boring that the fanbase eventually gets frustrated. And he doesn't win enough to make that worth putting up with [again, same as with UK, albeit on a different level].

:noidea: Several of my coworkers are thrilled today about this news. They think Smart is imminent, but I don't see it, even with the ties that the new U of M AD has to Smart.
Ah, too bad. It seems that the state of Minnesota has had a few high caliber recruits the past couple years including Rashad Vaughn this coming year. Do they feel like Tubby had no shot at these kids and that some fresh blood might be able to keep them home?

The AD thinks he can get Shaka again. Hope he has a deal in place before canning Tubby.

1. Minny was lucky to get Tubby in the first place. After all what great coach would want to be so far north with all that cold and snow
2.i wish I was Skaka's agent

Ah, too bad. It seems that the state of Minnesota has had a few high caliber recruits the past couple years including Rashad Vaughn this coming year. Do they feel like Tubby had no shot at these kids and that some fresh blood might be able to keep them home?

Funny you should ask--local reports these last few days have bemoaned how both Calipari and Izzo have been in town in the last week to see the point guard from Apple Valley [universally considered a top 10 recruit].

I think that the general consensus early on, when Minnesota was ranked in the top 10 early on in the season, was that they needed a big year to propel them into contention to keep the top three in-state recruits [all around the top 50] home. The season fell apart to a large degree, and locals are wringing their hands over all three opting to go elsewhere. Regardless, it is going to be tough to convince any of them to stay at the U if schools like Kentucky, MSU, etc. come calling. Maybe someone like Shaka Smart would be the splash hire that would compel them to pick the hometown school--hard to say.

Funny you should ask--local reports these last few days have bemoaned how both Calipari and Izzo have been in town in the last week to see the point guard from Apple Valley [universally considered a top 10 recruit].

I think that the general consensus early on, when Minnesota was ranked in the top 10 early on in the season, was that they needed a big year to propel them into contention to keep the top three in-state recruits [all around the top 50] home. The season fell apart to a large degree, and locals are wringing their hands over all three opting to go elsewhere. Regardless, it is going to be tough to convince any of them to stay at the U if schools like Kentucky, MSU, etc. come calling. Maybe someone like Shaka Smart would be the splash hire that would compel them to pick the hometown school--hard to say.
Yeah, nothing worse for a coach's career than having mediocre success on the court coupled with talented local recruits that don't stay home.

If they can't land Smart, there's always that Howland guy

Also residing in Minneapolis, the fans around here are absolutely delusional when it comes to college hoops and MN's prominence.
Minnesota simply WILL NOT land a top-tier coach. There is an outside shot at Flip Saunders, but that is a pipe dream, too, because all indications are he has no interest in coaching again - especially at the college level.

With the way Minny's offense looked in the tourney, they should have called them the "Golden O'fers!"

;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom