two plays that I am sure were discussed | Syracusefan.com

two plays that I am sure were discussed

upperdeck

Living Legend
watched the replay a few times, just what did Lydon do to get the foul at the end of the game in regulation? 2 refs closest and with the best view had no call, the ref way out top with 3-4 players in the way?

why was the last 3 counted by clemson ? 1 the player was out of bounds and came back in, 2 the player was out of bounds and never re-established. both ways its a violation.

one interesting thing about the OB call like the one on SU week. the violation should be called when it happens it has nothing to with receiving the ball first like the announcers said.. if they want to call it call, not 10 secs later when a pass is made to that player.

What about Cooney's 3 point made shot that was not only taken away but only given 2 shots because the refs said there was a push before the shot? Would have ended up making the difference.

why was the last 3 counted by clemson ? 1 the player was out of bounds and came back in, 2 the player was out of bounds and never re-established. both ways its a violation.

Are you sure it is a violation in basketball? Isn't "re-establishing" a football concept. I could well be wrong.

I see players all the time cut below the basket line when running from side to side.

Last edited:
Are you sure it is a violation in basketball? Isn't "re-establishing" a football concept. I could well be wrong.

I see players all the time cut below the basket line when running from side to side.
You're basically right, jn.

In football, if you went out of bounds on purpose and are the first to touch the ball, it's a violation.

In basketball, if you went out of bounds, you just need to fully establish yourself back in bounds before you touch the ball. This doesn't matter if you're first or last.

In Cooney's case, he ends up being out of bounds, and just barely gets himself re-established back in bounds before he catches it. Sometimes he doesn't get himself fully back in bounds.

As Cherie said, the Cooney non-shooting foul was pretty silly. There were a few calls on Lydon that I thought weren't the best calls either. Lydon couldn't believe a few of the calls that they made.

I didn't get to see many replays of it, but what about Cooney's missed three at the end of OT. Who was that rebound off of?

What about Cooney's 3 point made shot that was not only taken away but only given 2 shots because the refs said there was a push before the shot? Would have ended up making the difference.
Yeah, that call was huge, should have been a four point play for TC

Lydon had a clean block and beautiful (and clean) strip that resulted in free throws and 4 points for Nnoko. The officiating wasn't one-sided, and I'm sure there were bad calls both ways as there always are, but those hurt. When Lydon's clearly struggling to defend the guy, as a ref, don't give the guy he's guarding the benefit of the doubt when Lydon does actually make a good play. It was like watching Lebron's treatment in the NBA. If he misses a contested layup, it's assumed more often than not that he got fouled regardless of contact. No; sometimes Lebron just misses layups, everybody does.

Last edited by a moderator:
The four point play call was ridiculous. That was clearly continuation. I was more annoyed that Hop just let the call be. Hopefully with JAB back we get someone who works the officials more.

Basketball has 2 rules about going off the court..

1) if you go off the court as the result of making a play you have to re-establish before touching the ball. The clemson guy who made the last 3 did not before catching the pass and making the 3.. clear violation

2) if you step off the court own your own like to avoid a screen or to get around players its an instant violation. you see it all the time players running the baseline and running around screens out of bounds.. its even an example in the rule book. for some reason its hardly ever called. in this case the clemson kid was trapped threw the ball back up top, then steps out of bounds and jumps back in to catch the pass, he needs one foot down before the contact if you dont rule he stepped out as the result of some other play. it was a violation, but again seldom do they call it. if there are players in the way and you run off the court to get around them thats a violation.

the cooney play was bad.. there was no time on the shot clock, everyone knew he was going to throw it up except the ref i guess. but the last Lydon foul was really a bad call and obvious to all except the ref with no position to make the call.

Lydon had a clean block and beautiful (and clean) strip that resulted in free throws and 4 points for Nnoko. The officiating wasn't one-sided, and I'm sure there were bad calls both ways as there always are, but those hurt. When Lydon's clearly struggling to defend the guy, as a ref, don't give the guy he's guarding the benefit of the doubt when Lydon does actually make a good play. It was like watching Lebron's treatment in the NBA. If he misses a contested layup, it's assumed more often than not that he got fouled regardless of contact. No; sometimes Lebron just misses layups, everybody does.

Yeah, Lydon showed more emotion on that one absolutely horrendous call than at any other point this year. Nnoko was also allowed to dislodge the defender more than a few times, but the one time DC tried to body him up, foul on DC. Weird.

Anyone see the play near end of regulation when Lydon was on the baseline and called for TO before stepping down? I swear it looked like he called it out straight at the ref then his foot landed out of bounds.

What's the rule on TO, do you have to gesture for it with hands or can you just say it?

Anyone see the play near end of regulation when Lydon was on the baseline and called for TO before stepping down? I swear it looked like he called it out straight at the ref then his foot landed out of bounds.

What's the rule on TO, do you have to gesture for it with hands or can you just say it?

You can't call to while falling out of bounds anymore.

i never saw a replay to tell if he was really off the floor. was he? all you need to do is say it but the gesture helps when its loud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom