Tyler MF Roberson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler MF Roberson

Tyler has continued to improve hid offensive game along with his rebounding numbers. The issue right now is having our guards get him the ball when he is in position to score at a greater frequency.

Agree---in 29 min, 16 pts, 13 rebs and 3 steals. Have a hunch he is going to have a monster senior year. We all saw what a great senior year that Rak had, but Roberson is even more advanced than Rak already in terms of the numbers he's putting up during his junior year season.

I loved the Rick Jackson followed AO's footsteps. Maybe Roberson will following what Christmas did his senior year.

Tyler has continued to improve hid offensive game along with his rebounding numbers. The issue right now is having our guards get him the ball when he is in position to score at a greater frequency.

I like the way TR puts the ball on the floor. He winds up and has a really strong first and second step to the basket.

I like the way TR puts the ball on the floor. He winds up and has a really strong first and second step to the basket.

Just as Cooney has benefited immensely from being surrounded by capable shooters, so has Roberson.

When Roberson receives the ball 15-17 feet from the basket, he basically has a free run at whoever is guarding him - especially if Lydon is in the game. There is no help. And the guy that is guarding him is usually going to be bigger and slower.

If he can continue to hit that mid-range jumper, forcing whoever is guarding him to come and guard him away from the basket, he is a very tough match up. He can put the ball on the floor and go by the guy. If the guy doesn't guard him, take the jumper...

Much to like...animal on the glass..improving offensive game...just has to stay away from the over-the-backs...

One of my favorite aspects of college hoops is watching how teams, and players, evolve from November to March...

I disagree with the posters who say this team is not talented. I think the 7, now 8, guys we put on the floor are all talented. Unfortunately, this team just doesn't have enough size and strength...And still want to see us get more in the paint...

One of my favorite aspects of college hoops is watching how teams, and players, evolve from November to March...

I disagree with the posters who say this team is not talented. I think the 7, now 8, guys we put on the floor are all talented. Unfortunately, this team just doesn't have enough size and strength...And still want to see us get more in the paint...

I haven't felt like we've seen a lot of this in recent years. In fact, its felt more like guys have regressed as the year has progressed - maybe due to fatigue and other circumstances...but this year I feel like we are truly seeing some significant improvement with TR, DCII and MR. I'm hoping that we'll also see it with Lydon and increased playing time for FH have a similar effect for him.

We don't have a team that was really top 25 caliber at the beginning of the season. In the absence of that it is fun to see them make strides and see how much progress they can make by the end of the year. I would be satisfied, whether we have put together a tournament resume or not, if this team went into the ACC tourney with a feeling that it could make noise there and was a matchup others were hoping to avoid.

I haven't felt like we've seen a lot of this in recent years. In fact, its felt more like guys have regressed as the year has progressed - maybe due to fatigue and other circumstances..

I would define recent as the last couple...the 12-13 team made the final four...hard to be disappointed with that...13-14 was clearly not as good as 25-0 indicated and that was compounded by the fact that it flamed out early in the tourney...anytime team flames out early, especially as a protected seed, it is going to feel like the season was a failure...and when you got from 25-0 and #1 to a #3 seed to losing to Dayton in the manner that we lost..well, that feels like repeated good swift kicks to the nuts...

Last year's team, other than Rak, simply could not score...

I've seen smaller teams beat larger teams. The players have to be quick on defense so they can help each other double up on larger players. And then they have to be quick to get back on pass outs. Our guys just have to be very agressive on defense.

If by some miracle we make it to the NCAA tournament, all you need is 5 hot shooting games (or maybe 6 in our case if we are one of the last 2 teams to get in). Regardless, a win at Duke will make this season a success in my opinion.

Roberson seems to be a super quiet dude. Watched the post game video from yesterday and he reminds me of Rak in his demeanor before his senior year. He spoke quietly, seemed like he didn't want to talk to reporters, and just did not seem comfortable. I think with TR his biggest asset is his physical gifts and his biggest weakness has been himself. When he plays confident it is a thing of beauty, when he plays timid it is bad to watch. Hopefully he can keep it going!

The below is from a game log I found online, with over 7 minutes left ND already had 44 points in the paint. ND !!! and 44 points in the paint ! That is astounding, they could have ended with over 50. If SU doesn't score at least 40 in the paint tomorrow, then the guys just are not getting how to attack the rim, and we've taken a step back. I think we see DC and TRob each scoring double figures, maybe each with double/doubles. Shoot a good enough %, and they will secure the road scalp!

7:44 2nd: Notre Dame 78, Duke 75: Luke Kennard is now up to 28 points and Brandon Ingram has returned to the court to score 5 quick points, but Notre Dame remains red-hot from the floor and leads by three.

Notre Dame has 44 points in the paint to Duke's 20 and is plus-7 on the glass.

Read more at http://www.wralsportsfan.com/no-9-d...bounce-back-win/15240955/#tTlSVA8ehd7HyyAJ.99

I haven't felt like we've seen a lot of this in recent years. In fact, its felt more like guys have regressed as the year has progressed - maybe due to fatigue and other circumstances...but this year I feel like we are truly seeing some significant improvement with TR, DCII and MR. I'm hoping that we'll also see it with Lydon and increased playing time for FH have a similar effect for him.

We don't have a team that was really top 25 caliber at the beginning of the season. In the absence of that it is fun to see them make strides and see how much progress they can make by the end of the year. I would be satisfied, whether we have put together a tournament resume or not, if this team went into the ACC tourney with a feeling that it could make noise there and was a matchup others were hoping to avoid.

Last year Christmas and Gbinije made about as big of a jump as any college players you'll ever see. This year Roberson is starting to make "the leap" and Coleman is showing signs of doing the same. This stuff happens regularly with Syracuse, pretty much ever year. Its why we win so much.

Last year Christmas and Gbinije made about as big of a jump as any college players you'll ever see. This year Roberson is starting to make "the leap" and Coleman is showing signs of doing the same. This stuff happens regularly with Syracuse, pretty much ever year. Its why we win so much.
We have seen the ceiling of our two fifth-year guards--although Silent G's recent determined forays to the rim are a nice bonus.

The encouraging thing right now is that our other 5 rotation players--the 3 frosh plus Coleman and Roberson--are trending up. A very positive development.

Roberson seems to be a super quiet dude. Watched the post game video from yesterday and he reminds me of Rak in his demeanor before his senior year. He spoke quietly, seemed like he didn't want to talk to reporters, and just did not seem comfortable. I think with TR his biggest asset is his physical gifts and his biggest weakness has been himself. When he plays confident it is a thing of beauty, when he plays timid it is bad to watch. Hopefully he can keep it going!

Yes. That interview. He was so uncomfortable he looked like Ricky Bobby's first interview after taking the Laughing Clown Malt Liquor car from last to third after the driver bailed mid-race.

I tend to agree, As for next year I don't know if I am seeing it.
I would much much rather see roberson and lydon as the 3rd and 4th options then 2nd and third next year. Malachi will be so so so so essential to next years offense. As essential as AO was in 09-10. Its not only he can score, he would also change the whole chemistry. Not saying this is a definite but I really lean that direction.

This team is playing inspiring offense with gbinije and malachi as the first option, cooney as the third (as he scores in spurts) and roberson lydon and dajuan being a solid 4th to get the ball to in their spots. With all that being said we were working alot of kinks out. And eventually once Gbinije gets really, really comforable driving, he will get 5-6 of those 10 points from three back he had early season.

Its a shame it took so long for gbinije to drive and roberson to click when Lydon went through a cold streak. Could have a couple more wins had that not happened. A shame our center defense and rebounding couldn't hold up alittle more earlier on as dajuan and lydon were in a growing curve.

We belong in the tournament all record aside, imo.

Last edited:
I tend to agree, As for next year I don't know if I am seeing it.
I worry about roberson and lydon stepping up as second and third options next year with battle being a first. I think Lydon is comfortably 2 years away from being a solid 3rd option. Roberson will need to hit 4-5 midrange shots as opposed to 1-2 if he wants to be the first or second option.

Malachi will be so so so so essential to next years offense. By example as essential as AO was in 09-10. He will change the whole chemistry, imo.

This team is playing inspiring offense with gbinije and malachi as the first option, cooney as the third (as he scores in spurts) and roberson lydon and dajuan being a solid 4th. With all that being said we were working alot of kinks out.

Its a shame it took so long for gbinije to drive and roberson to click when Lydon went through a cold streak. Could have a couple more wins had that not happened. A shame our center defense and rebounding couldn't hold up alittle more earlier on as dajuan and lydon were in a growing curve.

We belong in the tournament all record aside, imo.

Why would you think a freshman (Battle) will be our first option? He may be good but he's not Carmelo. Battle may get his points, but his first job will be distributing to the others. Oh, and learning how to play the zone!

I also believe that Lydon could be our first option before next season is over.

Why would you think a freshman (Battle) will be our first option? He may be good but he's not Carmelo. Battle may get his points, but his first job will be distributing to the others. Oh, and learning how to play the zone!

I also believe that Lydon could be our first option before next season is over.

Totally agree, I honestly don't know what to expect out of battle outside almost definetly the best dribble drive on the team outside malachi/Howard. You got to question a freshmens physicality to finish in the lane, speed, and ability to protect the ball under tight pressure.

imo. Lydon will put weight on and score in the paint but he isn't shooting a jumper with a man on him. If he gets 10 of his points in the paint and from the freethrow line maybe. But we will still really lack dribble drive. No perimeter driving forwards with battle at guard.

Neither Lydon or Roberson even attempt to shoot a jumper with a man guarding them tight yet. I don't think they should at this point as the offense finally has flow, but they didn't the first 2 months either.

I think malachi is so key to the team will change the chemistry and make everyone better. I don't think its a secret in any way shape or form. I think battle knows it as well. Its not so much lydon and roberson couldn't be a solid 3rd/2nd optoin, its it would be better for them to not try to be. imo, if it does come for them, naturally instead of forced would be all the better for their type of game and personality.

Last edited:

I agree that Christmas and Gbinije made great jumps from one season to the next. I believe I was responding to comments about players making great improvement over the course of a season. My comment was intended to be about in season jumps not player development season over season. I think Rak and Gbinije are examples of what we see most often. A player closes out one season with one skill set and then comes back the following season looking like he's developed additional skill sets. Roberson and DCII look like guys who are developing during the course of the season...and I think that is much rarer in our program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom