U.S. News college rankings are out | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

U.S. News college rankings are out

You are underestimating some. VPA is highly regarded, and Architecture is a perennial top 10 program. We lack the sciences and engineering. Syverud is looking to fix this.

Yes, there are some really excellent schools. But the overall admissions standards are not as high as in those particular schools, and not just because of Cantor's outreach to inner city kids. That's what's behind the rankings.

Exxon was on Clarkson's campus doing interviews this week. The Exxon rep looked at one of my classmate's 3.0 GPA and said right to his face, "based on your GPA, you do not have a career at Exxon." So I guess for some companies it matters.
It absolutely matters for many companies hiring inexperienced, new, college grads with very little else on which to judge competency. I don't remember a whole lot about my early career interviews, but I do remember that in every one of them GPA was discussed.

ego.

and people who are looking at schools for their kids go...millhouse went to the 61st ranked school?? hes not as smart as i thought and certainly he thinks he is?? no way im sending Jr there.

fwiw: in '87, pretty sure it was top 40 or just out like 41.

In '87 I chose between Syracuse and USC (California). Virtual heat then academically - and frankly athletically. I went east because of my dad. If I had the choice today, which school would I choose? (hint, nobody would like my answer.) Things have declined, looks like considerably - if you look at objective facts. Here's to Syverud turning the worm!

In '87 I chose between Syracuse and USC (California). Virtual heat then academically - and frankly athletically. I went east because of my dad. If I had the choice today, which school would I choose? (hint, nobody would like my answer.) Things have declined, looks like considerably - if you look at objective facts. Here's to Syverud turning the worm!
sorta ditto, just change school B.

my final 2 were Syracuse and BC. ended up choosing Syracuse for all the 'right' reasons ie: fraternities, sororities, the Dome and better athletic teams.

when i tell people now i got in to BC and chose Syracuse, they look at me like i have 2 heads and clearly must be lying.

Guys, in all honesty, does it really friggin matter? You make of your career what YOU make of it. Your degree means very little at the end of the day outside of maybe a top Ivy League school.
Respectfully, when you charge the tuition that Syracuse charges, it does matter how they are ranked nationally. That is their pact with the students. They charge the tuition associated with one of the most prestigious universities in the land, and they uphold that ranking/ national perception to make that degree "worth" the price paid. Companies do care about pedigrees to some degree...

my final 2 were Syracuse and BC. ended up choosing Syracuse for all the 'right' reasons ie: fraternities, sororities, the Dome and better athletic teams.

when i tell people now i got in to BC and chose Syracuse, they look at me like i have 2 heads and clearly must be lying.
Exactly. Nail on the head. People out here (including my wife) do the same. I remember BC being right there with Syracuse - now? Not so much. In any event, onwards and upwards - looks like a good trend with Syverud.

SU at 61, Princeton at #1. I can't find the whole list I'm on mobile. Anyone care to search

Fitting.

We are the #1 party school which is like the basketball team.

#61 in academics and haven fallen is like the football and lacrosse teams.

All fair.

I think the lower ranking has a direct effect on recruiting. US News, regardless of flawed rankings methodology, is the most commonly known and referred to metric for comparing the academic prowess of schools. It's tough to taut the value of the private school, syracuse education to recruits, when they could just as easily go to Maryland, PSU, Clemson, etc. Hell, the vast majority of the real bright kids we recruit end up at Northwestern, Stanford, BC, even Duke now assuming they have an offer.

Its a topic of conversation if for instance the applicant went to a well-known school, ie; "oh, you went to Duke- we're gonna get you at the Dome next year".
In over 30 years it's never mattered more than experience or personality.
The only time it came up was when some idiot in Citicorp's HR Dept opined that my "non-IvyLeague" SU degree would hold me back from advancing in the company. 7 years later he & his Columbia University degree were working under me. Just sayin...

Last edited:
Its a topic of conversation if for instance the applicant went to a well-known school, ie; "oh, you went to Duke- we're gonna get you at the Dome next year".
In over 30 years it's never mattered more than experience or personality.
The only time it came up was when some idiot in Citicorp's HR Dept opined that my "non-IvyLeague" SU degree would hold me back from advancing in the company. 7 years later he & his Columbia University degree were working under me. Just sayin...
Social skill is sooooo important and so lacking these days. Funny, I always thought you a dr. Citi?

If you had gone to BC for 4 years you probably would have come out of it as a Red Sox and Patriots fan. A totally different man.

CUSU said:
Gonna have to agree there...

Figured you and Hardheaded would.

But he had the job. You worked with him. If he was the moron you say he is, how'd he get the job?
Half the people with his job didn't even have a degree. I said I "worked with" him, I didn't say we had the same job or were at the same level, we weren't. With my average gpa from the # 1 party school in the country (that year and others since...mid size midwestern public school) I was senior to him. He also never advanced while people without a degree did. A degree was a prerequisite for my position... my boss had a Home Ec degree from some liberal arts school in Nebraska that I'd never heard of. She was very good at her job though (insurance industry).

CUSU said:
Gonna have to agree there...

BTW, what the hells going on up there? Murder?

I just feel like I should point out that when it comes to this ranking, there's like a 600 question questionnaire that schools need to fill out if they really want to be considered, so if a school chooses not to participate, they are seriously downgraded. I'm guessing SU participated, so that probably seems moot, but just to make it clear that this is far from an accurate measurement tool.

BTW, what the hells going on up there? Murder?

Campus wide email didn't say too much about it, other than there was no threat to campus. Haven't looked into it too much yet. All I know is that it was off campus in an apartment complex, and it didn't sound too good.

"Campus Community,

We have been made aware that police are on the scene at Swan Landing apartments near campus following an alleged domestic dispute that resulted in the death of both persons involved in the dispute.

We have been in contact with the local law enforcement and the incident does not pose a threat to the campus.

We will provide you with more information as it becomes available."

"We know a number of Clarkson community members live in the Swan Landing complex, where two people are reported as deceased following an alleged domestic dispute earlier this afternoon."

Edit: Sounds like both students were foreign exchange from China. The police had to shoot the man who was stabbing the woman and wouldn't stop. Apparently the man was also stabbing himself?

Last edited:
Social skill is sooooo important and so lacking these days. Funny, I always thought you a dr. Citi?
Naw, AZ- not smart or disciplined enough to be a doctor. More like counseling, coaching and advising small businesses. My practice has a tagline for our clients: " We're like therapy for your business". ;)

CUSU said:
Campus wide email didn't say too much about it, other than there was no threat to campus. Haven't looked into it too much yet. All I know is that it was off campus in an apartment complex, and it didn't sound too good. "Campus Community, We have been made aware that police are on the scene at Swan Landing apartments near campus following an alleged domestic dispute that resulted in the death of both persons involved in the dispute. We have been in contact with the local law enforcement and the incident does not pose a threat to the campus. We will provide you with more information as it becomes available." "We know a number of Clarkson community members live in the Swan Landing complex, where two people are reported as deceased following an alleged domestic dispute earlier this afternoon."

Male Clarkson student stabbed a female student. When cops showed, he kept stabbing her and wouldn't out knife down when told several times. Cops shot and killed him. Female passed away at hospital.

Half the people with his job didn't even have a degree. I said I "worked with" him, I didn't say we had the same job or were at the same level, we weren't. With my average gpa from the # 1 party school in the country (that year and others since...mid size midwestern public school) I was senior to him. He also never advanced while people without a degree did. A degree was a prerequisite for my position... my boss had a Home Ec degree from some liberal arts school in Nebraska that I'd never heard of. She was very good at her job though (insurance industry).
It wasn't meant as a slight to you or anyone else for that matter. My only point was that this person you mentioned had a job and by your take, it wasn't based on ability, so that only leaves the perceived value of his degree to make that hire. This is why this stuff matters. I agree with you that once hired, it's entirely on your hard work and ability, but apart from actual learning, that $60 k a year had better get me in the door. If it doesn't, then it's wasted money, and nobody will go to SU.

If you had gone to BC for 4 years you probably would have come out of it as a Red Sox and Patriots fan. A totally different man.
a 'perceptually' better educated man, but socially inept and athletically rooting challenged??

i highly doubt it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom