U.S. Open | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

U.S. Open

Day is a tremendous talent. I believe he will break through soon in a major and ultimately win more than a few before he is through.

His performance while playing with the effects Benign Positional Verigo was incredible. I've experienced BPV about a dozen times in my life, and trust me, it is frightening and can be debilitating. Frankly, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. About the last thing someone experiencing BPV symptoms would want to do would be play golf and walk for miles over rolling and uneven terrain.

I know Jim Furyk and David Duval (and certainly other professional golfers) have experienced BPV. Too bad Fox didn't speak to one of them during the Open coverage or bring in a medical professional to address the issue, as clearly no one on their broadcast team had first-hand experience with BPV.

Very interesting perspective. I wasn't listening to every word of the coverage, but I had no idea about Furyk and Duval if they even mentioned it. I hope Day can get that issue treated and resolved. Seems like a good guy and very talented golfer - would be too bad if that impacted his career too much.

That had to be one of the worst courses for him to experience that on as well. My understanding is that its an inner ear issue and man all that walking, elevation changes, uneven stances and of course the views must have made it hard. It seemed to me he moved very deliberately to avoid moving the fluid in his inner ear as much as possible for the last two rounds.
You move very deliberately by necessity, as you quickly figure out what movements of your head trigger the symptoms. Watching him Sunday, I thought he was moving more normally as the round progressed. His ball-striking was actually quite good until very late in the round. It was really his putting that knocked him out in the end. How much of that was due to the Vertigo is hard to say because a lot of guys start missing short putts on the last day of the U.S. Open.

You move very deliberately by necessity, as you quickly figure out what movements of your head trigger the symptoms. Watching him Sunday, I thought he was moving more normally as the round progressed. His ball-striking was actually quite good until very late in the round. It was really his putting that knocked him out in the end. How much of that was due to the Vertigo is hard to say because a lot of guys start missing short putts on the last day of the U.S. Open.

Agreed, the putting may have had nothing to do with it although it could have possibly been mental fatigue from dealing with the vertigo for 3 days.

Very interesting perspective. I wasn't listening to every word of the coverage, but I had no idea about Furyk and Duval if they even mentioned it. I hope Day can get that issue treated and resolved. Seems like a good guy and very talented golfer - would be too bad if that impacted his career too much.
I can't speak for his situation, of course, but for me, the symptoms eventually disappear completely over time (usually 10 days or so) and then may not recur for years. But the thought that they may return suddenly down the road is always there.

US Open rotates every year but certain courses are always in the rotation like Pinhurst No.2, Pebble Beach, Bethpage Black.
Yeah but it's not like the British Open where there is a 10 course rotation. There certainly have been regulars like Pebble, Winged Foot, and especially Oakmont. Pinehurst has been within the last 15 years and will continue. It doesn't look like Bethpage is in the foreseeable future, although they do have a PGA and a Ryder Cup coming up

I found this to be typical Fox sports coverage.. they aim for the 18 yr old demo.. Holly is a joke, awful questions, but I am not a big golf channel guy so i dont know what to expect from her. I like Norman but he doesnt have the chops for live TV analyst. faxon is just too dry.. Buck is a football guy trying to do golf, he might get better.. they used the tracker but really needed it every shot since they had such poor site lines for other shots.

I was ok with the course since I played courses like that as a kid that were all baked out and you had 75 yd putts or 100 yd bump shots to greens all the time. they are pro's they know where to land the ball, if its next to the pin or 20 yds away its the same size landing area, so hit it. there were some awful roll outs but also they were mis-hitting shots by 20-30 yds. Maybe it was too much for every hole to be like that but then some guys hit it next to the pin and stuck it.. The issue was when you missed a drive the recover shots become hard and they dont like that.. they also dont like normal us open where they cant attack from the rough, or the masters when the greens are too fast or the Open when the wind blows.

they are playing for a million dollars, best player wins, suck it up..

Holly the talking Barbie doll was a monument to irrelevant prattle. She might as well have asked them their favorite color. Geez, she was an embarrassment. Typical Fox move. Jordoo's right, Norman slobbering all over the Aussies was annoying. Still, I don't dislike the guy, but I thought his commentary was approaching "master of the obvious" way too often. As for the course itself, of course it was gimmicky, which doesn't make for good TV watching. Good comment about the tracker, otherwise it was really difficult to follow. I got up and walked away several times because it's not fun to watch so many shots continually going awry, particularly those dreadful run-outs. I mean, , I can hit skanky shots if I want to see those. I don't take any enjoyment from watching good players miss, and miss again. And for what it's worth, I expect pretty much the same dismal fare in August when the PGA is played at Whistling Straits, yet another lunar landscape masquerading as a golf course. Good grief, they could have practiced the Apollo landings there. No wonder I drink.

If a guy makes a good shot, it should stay a good shot.

Fair enough, but it's also important to remember it's golf and not chess. Which means it should be played on an actual golf course, not somewhere outside Kandahar.

Day is a tremendous talent. I believe he will break through soon in a major and ultimately win more than a few before he is through.

His performance while playing with the effects Benign Positional Verigo was incredible. I've experienced BPV about a dozen times in my life, and trust me, it is frightening and can be debilitating. Frankly, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. About the last thing someone experiencing BPV symptoms would want to do would be play golf and walk for miles over rolling and uneven terrain.

I know Jim Furyk and David Duval (and certainly other professional golfers) have experienced BPV. Too bad Fox didn't speak to one of them during the Open coverage or bring in a medical professional to address the issue, as clearly no one on their broadcast team had first-hand experience with BPV.

Veracity has rarely been a priority around Fox.

Holly the talking Barbie doll was a monument to irrelevant prattle. She might as well have asked them their favorite color. Geez, she was an embarrassment. Typical Fox move. Jordoo's right, Norman slobbering all over the Aussies was annoying. Still, I don't dislike the guy, but I thought his commentary was approaching "master of the obvious" way too often. As for the course itself, of course it was gimmicky, which doesn't make for good TV watching. Good comment about the tracker, otherwise it was really difficult to follow. I got up and walked away several times because it's not fun to watch so many shots continually going awry, particularly those dreadful run-outs. I mean, , I can hit skanky shots if I want to see those. I don't take any enjoyment from watching good players miss, and miss again. And for what it's worth, I expect pretty much the same dismal fare in August when the PGA is played at Whistling Straits, yet another lunar landscape masquerading as a golf course. Good grief, they could have practiced the Apollo landings there. No wonder I drink.

I have Whistling Straights on my X-box. Awful. A series of cliffs with bits of grass in certain spots you're supposed to aim at. More bad memories for Dustin Johnson, ho got screwed there.

Fair enough, but it's also important to remember it's golf and not chess. Which means it should be played on an actual golf course, not somewhere outside Kandahar.

I'm not sure we're disagreeing here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom