uconn 2014 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

uconn 2014

uconn never, and I mean never should have been placed as a 7 seed in the East, with a home game at MSG. awful, luckiest team to win titles. pure luck. they are the least dominant teams to win. Pure luck with draws, played no one. Beat Butler as a 8 seed in 2011, and Kentucky as a 7 seed in 2014, and some lame duck georgia tech team in 2004. only one the earned was duke in 99

Beat Butler as a 8 seed in 2011, and Kentucky as a 7 seed in 2014, and some lame duck georgia tech team in 2004. only one the earned was duke in 99

That 2004 UConn team with Okafor and Gordon is probably a Top 20 college basketball team ever.

That 2004 UConn team with Okafor and Gordon is probably a Top 20 college basketball team ever.

that team was loaded but they still played a weak team in the championship game. and a weak team in elite 8 (team that beat us), although to be fair they beat 1 seed duke in f4 with a huge late comeback.

the 2014 team had no business winning the championship. they got lucky to win their 1st round game, very favorable matchups and location in the regionals, and had to beat a 7 seed in championship game.

that team was loaded but they still played a weak team in the championship game. and a weak team in elite 8 (team that beat us), although to be fair they beat 1 seed duke in f4 with a huge late comeback.

the 2014 team had no business winning the championship. they got lucky to win their 1st round game, very favorable matchups and location in the regionals, and had to beat a 7 seed in championship game.

Agreed about 2014, but to poo-poo their excellent 2004 team is just absurd.

Agreed about 2014, but to poo-poo their excellent 2004 team is just absurd.

im not poo-poo'ing 2004, i said that team was loaded, just stating the facts. they got an easy road other than duke. beat a 6 seed in sweet 16 (3 seed lost), beat a 8 seed in elite 8 (1, 4 and 5 seed all lost), and beat 3 seed in championship game.

im not poo-poo'ing 2004, i said that team was loaded, just stating the facts. they got an easy road other than duke. beat a 6 seed in sweet 16 (3 seed lost), beat a 8 seed in elite 8 (1, 4 and 5 seed all lost), and beat 3 seed in championship game.

I was referring more to gilardino's post that I replied to which said the only one they "earned" was 1999.

I was referring more to gilardino's post that I replied to which said the only one they "earned" was 1999.

gotcha, agree with you, they definitely "earned" 2004.

got very lucky in 2004, duke blew the game in final 4, up 8 with the ball with a 1;52 left

In this thread Syracuse fans complain about a team getting favorable matchups and locations en route to a title without a hint of irony.

Seriously... we were a 3 seed, and got to play a virtual home game against the 1 seed in our region. Absolute dream scenario.

we were a 3 seed, UConn was a 7, no team seeded from 5-16 should have a favorbale home court

In this thread Syracuse fans complain about a team getting favorable matchups and locations en route to a title without a hint of irony.

in 2003 we beat a 1 seed, 1 seed, 2 seed to win title

in 2011 uconn beat a 5 seed, 4 seed, 8 seed to win title

in 2014 uconn beat a 4 seed, 1 seed, 8 seed to win title

think about that, uconn won their last 2 titles against EIGHT seeds! in 1987 and 1996 we played 1 seeds in our championship games. i can pretty much guarantee if we were playing 8 seeds we'd have 2 more titles.

in 2003 we beat a 1 seed, 1 seed, 2 seed to win title

in 2011 uconn beat a 5 seed, 4 seed, 8 seed to win title

in 2014 uconn beat a 4 seed, 1 seed, 8 seed to win title

think about that, uconn won their last 2 titles against EIGHT seeds! in 1987 and 1996 we played 1 seeds in our championship games. i can pretty much guarantee if we were playing 8 seeds we'd have 2 more titles.

Not really what I was referring to, but whatever.

They caught some breaks. Good for them. Guess what? Had that been us, neither you, I, or anyone else here would be delegitamizing those titles.

All you can do is play whoever's in front of you.

BTW In 1996 we played a 12 and 8 seed in the second round and sweet 16 respectively, and a five seed in the final four.

In 1987, we got to play a six seed in the final four.

uconn never, and I mean never should have been placed as a 7 seed in the East, with a home game at MSG. awful, luckiest team to win titles. pure luck. they are the least dominant teams to win. Pure luck with draws, played no one. Beat Butler as a 8 seed in 2011, and Kentucky as a 7 seed in 2014, and some lame duck georgia tech team in 2004. only one the earned was duke in 99

I keep hearing this here, and it just makes no sense.

1) UConn beat the overall 1 seed in 2 of 4 title runs, who they beat otherwise is helped by that. Also took out a 1 seed in 2004 in the final 4.
2) Cuse needed a virtual home game gift against the basketball powerhouse that is Auburn in their only title run. Who is lucky again?

docsu said:
BTW In 1996 we played a 12 and 8 seed in the second round and sweet 16 respectively, and a five seed in the final four.

In 1987, we got to play a six seed in the final four.

Every team that makes a deep run catches some breaks, but both 2011 and 2014 uconn caught more breaks than usual. How often does an 8 seed make a championship game? Uconn caught that break twice in 4 years, thats a little ridiculous.

Every team that makes a deep run catches some breaks, but both 2011 and 2014 uconn caught more breaks than usual. How often does an 8 seed make a championship game? Uconn caught that break twice in 4 years, thats a little ridiculous.

Yeah, um, how dare they?

1) UConn beat the overall 1 seed in 2 of 4 title runs, who they beat otherwise is helped by that. Also took out a 1 seed in 2004 in the final 4.
2) Cuse needed a virtual home game gift against the basketball powerhouse that is Auburn in their only title run. Who is lucky again?

1. Nobody cares about 1999 or 2004, because those teams were actually good. Stay on topic.

2. Cuse was comfortably in control against Auburn the entire game. They cut the lead down towards the end, but it never got scary. They hit a meaningless 3 at the buzzer to make it end as a 1 point game. It helps if you actually watch the games you're commenting on, Boxscore Bobby.

What about Syracuse 2011-2012? Syracuse 2009-2010? Both better than 2002-2003.

I agree with what you say, in that great teams don't last multiple years OFTEN due to turnover, but there have still been some pretty incredible teams the last decade that have both the seniors and the one and doners.

I don't think either of those teams was better than 2002-03. 2012 was deeper. 2010 was similar in it's offensive balance and chemistry.

Having the best player on the floor every game is just so important though. Plus Warrick, who was at least as good as anyone on the 2010 or 2012 teams. And the most clutch shooter we've ever had. The big 3(and honestly Edelin pretty much made it a big 4 by the end) was better on that team, and the role players played their roles just as effectively.

one part about the 2014 Yukon team that I thought was a factor, was that they had the entire roster (of guys that played) back from the year before. they had the whole roster back, and they didn't lose one game in 2013-2014 from any rotation player due to injury. we were good that year, but towards the end of the year grant was hurt and moussa-keita was a shell of himself. they had their whole roster for two years in a row, and for an entire season without an injury. when does that happen in college these days.

Seriously... we were a 3 seed, and got to play a virtual home game against the 1 seed in our region. Absolute dream scenario.

We shouldn't have been a 3 seed though IMO. 23-4 regular season. 24-5 going into the tourney. Won the Big East. The way I see it, we were underseeded so giving us Albany balanced it out.

your post starts off good, #1 is a legit point. but #2, what were we supposed to play auburn in Alabama as the higher seed? what are you talking about dude

We shouldn't have been a 3 seed though IMO. 23-4 regular season. 24-5 going into the tourney. Won the Big East. The way I see it, we were underseeded so giving us Albany balanced it out.

In 2000 we also won the big east at 13-3, and also finished 23-4...and got a four seed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom