Uh, Louisville... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Uh, Louisville...

So much for the thrill of playing the game as a student athlete. "Want to play against some tough competition? Naw." While it's not THE Tournament it is still tough competition. Who wouldn't want that?

And thanks for bringing up 1997, that season epitomized the year I had.

The "kids" should definitely let the adults in the Louisville AD decide - they have been making some marvelous decisions on the kids behalf recently.

You mean the AD who is no longer there or the new leaders?

You mean the AD who is no longer there or the new leaders?
I guess both or neither - my point is if I am a young adult who has watched this school basically screw up my entire athletic career, I may not be giving the new leadership the benefit of the doubt. I don't think the team is acting entitled I think they are p--ed and basically saying "Blank this sh--, I'm done with this year". Not saying its rright or wrong but I understand the players frustrations.

I guess both or neither - my point is if I am a young adult who has watched this school basically screw up my entire athletic career, I may not be giving the new leadership the benefit of the doubt. I don't think the team is acting entitled I think they are p--ed and basically saying "Blank this sh--, I'm done with this year". Not saying its rright or wrong but I understand the players frustrations.

Just play the game, its the classy thing to do. The decision has nothing to do with the athletic department. College sports is a privelege not a right. Theyre acting entitled. When bad things happen, dont just quit!!

Also, were these players unaware that stripper parties were illegal?

Lastly, if they got an ncaa bid, would they not have played? If not then not making the ncaa tournament is the dispositive factor not the actions of the ad. If you want a ncaa bid, then win more games.

Just play the game, its the classy thing to do. The decision has nothing to do with the athletic department. College sports is a privelege not a right. Theyre acting entitled. When bad things happen, dont just quit!!

Also, were these players unaware that stripper parties were illegal?

Lastly, if they got an ncaa bid, would they not have played? If not then not making the ncaa tournament is the dispositive factor not the actions of the ad. If you want a ncaa bid, then win more games.
U Albany voted against going to the tourneys below the NIT (dont' know the acronym), Louisville players aren't alone on this. I"m not getting into a debate on what is or isn't classy and what is or isn't a privilege or a right, or who is entitled. I would like to meet the college player who would have stood up at the stripper parties and said "guys this is wrong".

U Albany voted against going to the tourneys below the NIT (dont' know the acronym), Louisville players aren't alone on this. I"m not getting into a debate on what is or isn't classy and what is or isn't a privilege or a right, or who is entitled. I would like to meet the college player who would have stood up at the stripper parties and said "guys this is wrong".

Ok so i think albany players are entitled too.

So your point is the players can make some decisions, such as whether or not to play a basketball game even though thats not part of the deal, but when it comes to discretionary things such as accepting illegal benefits, then cant hold them accountable for those decisions. Sorry to say that your line of thinking seems a$& backwards

Last edited:
Ok so i think albany players are entitled too.

So your point is the players can make some decisions, such as whether or not to play a basketball game even though thats not part of the deal, but when it comes to discretionary things such as accepting illegal benefits, then cant hold them accountable for those decisions. Sorry to say that your line of thinking seems a$& backwards
Ha it probably is - my point is I'm not judging players, or I'm sorry student athletes, who don't want to play in these post-season events. Just like I don't judge the player who skips the bowl game. With all the players at Louisville have gone thru I can see where they have tapped out.

I am indifferent about whether college kids decide to play in the NIT or other lesser tournaments. It is different than football where the extra practices that come with bowl games could be important to a young team. When SU gets knocked out of the tourney (IF, I mean IF), I am usually a little disappointed even if the team played above its talent. I had to look up who and in what round SU lost last year in the NIT as my level of disappointment was about the same as an SU loss in a pre-season tournament.

College kids just ended a five month season. The kids at Louisville just ended one of, I expect, emotionally draining seasons of their careers. Its probably not entitlement that had them voting against playing in the NIT, it was likely exhaustion. If I were a Louisville fan, I would probably just want this season over as well.

Ha it probably is - my point is I'm not judging players, or I'm sorry student athletes, who don't want to play in these post-season events. Just like I don't judge the player who skips the bowl game. With all the players at Louisville have gone thru I can see where they have tapped out.

Now your equating one player protecting his draft status and career with an entire team whining about not making the ncaat. Super analogy.

Now your equating one player protecting his draft status and career with an entire team whining about not making the ncaat. Super analogy.
Keep up the fight my man - I'm moving on.

Teams turned down bowl invitations back in old days when there weren't so many of them.

Is there a payout to playing in (and potentially winning) the NIT?

B-ball players who don’t want to play b-ball...smh. Disgusting.

They just went through a season where their head coach was fired at the start and the program disgraced (and lost a key player), played well enough to be a bubble team for the NCAA, missed that and don’t want to play in the Not Invited Tournament that absolutely nobody cares about. I don’t blame the players or find their attitude disgusting at all.

Al Maguire turned down the NCAA when they moved his team out of the region.
This was in the 32 team era and the NIT was a better tournament.

They just went through a season where their head coach was fired at the start and the program disgraced (and lost a key player), played well enough to be a bubble team for the NCAA, missed that and don’t want to play in the Not Invited Tournament that absolutely nobody cares about. I don’t blame the players or find their attitude disgusting at all.

When things get hard, quit!

Also, louisville played and won last night, so this is all a moot point.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom