UL Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

UL Thoughts

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
It looks like Strickland is going to miss the game with whatever injury he suffered last week. Tough break for him, he seemed to be getting better every week. We will miss him most running in short yardage situations and pass blocking. He was good picking up blitzers. And he called out the blocking assignments for the OL.

That means Moe Neal to going to play a lot on Saturday. It will be interesting to see how he does as a starter. It looks like he is a better receiver than Dontae, so we might throw it more to him.

This also opens up playing time at RB for someone else. I assume it is going to be Markenzy Pierce coming out of the doghouse he has occupied since a fumble early in the season put him there, where he has had visitation rights to the field only during garbage time. He could be an X-factor here, especially if the wind and rain are close to as bad as the weather people (and intrepid weatherman storange) are saying.

UL has been bad defending the run. Heck, you never know.

If there is bad weather, it will be a great challenge for Zack Mahoney. Pretty sure the word is out on Zack and teams are going to take away the short passes to the flat that he went to almost exclusively in the first half against Wake and force him to beat them throwing the ball down the field. Zack doesn't have the most accuracy I have seen, especially on long throws and I hope he has been practicing them because he is going to need to complete some in order to open up the shorter routes. Would not be surprised if Zack struggles here to see Rex get some play, trying his hand on long passes.

If we can complete some long passes, we can run our whole offense and it is possible to put up big numbers against this very troubled defense. If we can't, I see us losing big.

Don't have a lot of hope on defense. UL loves to break out Jackson with naked bootlegs away from the flow and force a defender to go after him or cover a receiver in a game of 2 against 1. Our defense, incredibly undisciplined last week, needs to stay at home and not let Lamar get outside the pocket. I think they need to focus on containing him. They have solid schemes on offense, Jackson is great and he has some good WRs to work with so they are going to score points. I think we need 40 to have a chance. It is possible but I think we need awful conditions that force both teams to run the ball every down to level the playing field. Maybe Pierce and Neal go crazy and each run for 150 yards. Crazier things have happened in this, the craziest year of college football I can remember.

Stating the obvious - if Dungey goes, we go. Otherwise, it's root hard and pray for our luck and fumbles by Louisville.

really if we get behind more than 14-20 by half, there is no reason not to just have Rex play and let him have at it. Its been so long since another team had a bad day against us with some gift turnovers maybe we finally get one of the those. Wolford was great last week but his 2-3 bad decisions ended up being bad throws as well and we could catch then.

Stating the obvious - if Dungey goes, we go. Otherwise, it's root hard and pray for our luck and fumbles by Louisville.

Dungey isn't playing. Dino is saying the same things this week as last about him, he is listed as questionable which on a Dino Babers injury report means he is out, and the way Ish was talking about him, his season is done. He has multiple injuries on that leg, pretty bad ones, the kid playing against FSU and playing as well as he did, is a testament to how incredibly tough he is.

Like I always say, I never root for an injury but our best hope may be Lamar slipping and pulling something early in the game tomorrow and having to sit out the rest of the day.

I'm not as convinced as some people in other threads that because UL's running defense is bad, that means we will run the ball well. I see us still struggling to run the ball for multiple reasons.

If we can contain Lamar to some degree and force him to make bad throws like the Clemson game, I think we can stay in the game. I'm not convinced we will score like we are accustomed to but with this coaching staff I never know what to expect. If we score 50+ I won't be any more surprised than if we score 17.

If we try kicking FG's at the 45 yard line in the rain/wet, I'm going to really start to question things.

"question things" is not the best choice of words. I have faith DB will make this program consistent winners whether I like certain calls or not. I'm not the coach, just a fan on a message board.

we may well see a game where we never kick a FG, go for it from the 40 on in or punt people deep over and over.. of course our d may not stop anyone again too so punting becomes a non issue.

I'll admit I've lost hope for this season. Although my initial prediction was 5-7, and that may well be the final record, it feels like a let down after the Clemson win. I will be very surprised if SU beats Louisville. BC will probably beat UCONN this weekend making them bowl eligible, so at least they won't have to beat SU to get there. I think SU can beat BC without Dungey. I don't see SU beating Louisville without him. I'm just in a funk as I spend so much time looking forward to football season that when it doesn't end in a bowl game, it's just depressing. Let's just say that I've been depressed more often than not since the turn of the century. Come spring time, I'll be back to my usual optimistic self as practice begins again. Ahh, the life of a Syracuse football fan.

Watch out for Markenzie. If he gets in he has a lot to prove, and I think he might exorcise himself of a great deal of pent up frustration.

I'll admit I've lost hope for this season. Although my initial prediction was 5-7, and that may well be the final record, it feels like a let down after the Clemson win. I will be very surprised if SU beats Louisville. BC will probably beat UCONN this weekend making them bowl eligible, so at least they won't have to beat SU to get there. I think SU can beat BC without Dungey. I don't see SU beating Louisville without him. I'm just in a funk as I spend so much time looking forward to football season that when it doesn't end in a bowl game, it's just depressing. Let's just say that I've been depressed more often than not since the turn of the century. Come spring time, I'll be back to my usual optimistic self as practice begins again. Ahh, the life of a Syracuse football fan.

We've had a lot of tough Novembers. The only win was a lame duck coach winning on a last 2nd field goal in a meaningless game where both teams combined for less than 100 yards passing in a Dome.

It's pretty easy to get discouraged. Just need more depth and a little bit more injury luck. Only 3 guys out for the year isn't so bad, but 2 of them playing the same position is.

Indeed. :(

We've had a lot of tough Novembers. The only win was a lame duck coach winning on a last 2nd field goal in a meaningless game where both teams combined for less than 100 yards passing in a Dome.

It's pretty easy to get discouraged. Just need more depth and a little bit more injury luck. Only 3 guys out for the year isn't so bad, but 2 of them playing the same position is.

All joking aside I wish we burned the shirt, a bowl game would mean a lot and Dungey cannot stay healthy with his style of play.

Touchdown Tommy is going to play a lot next year.

All joking aside I wish we burned the shirt, a bowl game would mean a lot and Dungey cannot stay healthy with his style of play.

Touchdown Tommy is going to play a lot next year.

Agree. I'd at least get Rex out there if things start heading south early. Playing the officer for the whole game and losing by 3-4 TDs has no upside at all.

Rex will be 3rd string next year, and we may need him.

If first half Mahoney shows up vs a defense that is a) Not even close to Wake b) Really bad against the pass c) bad against tempo teams ... We got a shot.

in the first half we throw to a non -open ISH who gets held and we make a TD catch.. in the 2nd half we throw 3 in a row to more open guys and not one touches the ball. ball game.

If first half Mahoney shows up vs a defense that is a) Not even close to Wake b) Really bad against the pass c) bad against tempo teams ... We got a shot.
Have you checked the weather?

It looks like Strickland is going to miss the game with whatever injury he suffered last week. Tough break for him, he seemed to be getting better every week. We will miss him most running in short yardage situations and pass blocking. He was good picking up blitzers. And he called out the blocking assignments for the OL.

That means Moe Neal to going to play a lot on Saturday. It will be interesting to see how he does as a starter. It looks like he is a better receiver than Dontae, so we might throw it more to him.

This also opens up playing time at RB for someone else. I assume it is going to be Markenzy Pierce coming out of the doghouse he has occupied since a fumble early in the season put him there, where he has had visitation rights to the field only during garbage time. He could be an X-factor here, especially if the wind and rain are close to as bad as the weather people (and intrepid weatherman storange) are saying.

UL has been bad defending the run. Heck, you never know.

If there is bad weather, it will be a great challenge for Zack Mahoney. Pretty sure the word is out on Zack and teams are going to take away the short passes to the flat that he went to almost exclusively in the first half against Wake and force him to beat them throwing the ball down the field. Zack doesn't have the most accuracy I have seen, especially on long throws and I hope he has been practicing them because he is going to need to complete some in order to open up the shorter routes. Would not be surprised if Zack struggles here to see Rex get some play, trying his hand on long passes.

If we can complete some long passes, we can run our whole offense and it is possible to put up big numbers against this very troubled defense. If we can't, I see us losing big.

Don't have a lot of hope on defense. UL loves to break out Jackson with naked bootlegs away from the flow and force a defender to go after him or cover a receiver in a game of 2 against 1. Our defense, incredibly undisciplined last week, needs to stay at home and not let Lamar get outside the pocket. I think they need to focus on containing him. They have solid schemes on offense, Jackson is great and he has some good WRs to work with so they are going to score points. I think we need 40 to have a chance. It is possible but I think we need awful conditions that force both teams to run the ball every down to level the playing field. Maybe Pierce and Neal go crazy and each run for 150 yards. Crazier things have happened in this, the craziest year of college football I can remember.

I would like to see what Rex can do.

As sure as I was that Dungey would start against Wake Forest, I'm more sure that Zach starts against Louisville.

Dungey managed to play with the injury against FSU. But his season was over after that game. Dino has been playing mind games.

Just hate how Clemson was handled. I was so pumped after that win but I didn't think the celebrations would go on for two weeks... this season may turn out to what could of been after that win...

Reminds of last year a bit. Beat Va Tech then squeak past BC. Only to lose final four games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom