Unbiased Duke take on end of game | Syracusefan.com

Unbiased Duke take on end of game

Is that a Duke writer or an ACC writer?

Very well analyzed. as mentioned in another thread, as thorough as he was, he as well overlooked the fact that we had a foul to give on the last play of the game.

Very good analysis and his concluding point is a winner.

The verdict:

It’s a tough way to lose, but, as Coach K said in his press conference, the game can be cruel. It’s likely that the ending would have been far more controversial had fouls been called on either of those plays.

Great article, thanks for posting . Takes away a lot of the whining.

Especially glad for clearing up the hand Mark injury accusation... That was low to accuse a player of intentionally biting him.

Nice article. Loved the part about how fast Jones would have been traveling to cover 15 feet in 0.1 seconds. I was laughing hysterically at that. You have to love how incredible our games have been against Duke (minus last year's trip to Cameron). We're really cooking up a great rivalry!

Good read - seemed fair. If I'm Duke I can see being upset, but you get over this stuff. It was close - and they got away with Plumlee being allowed to come in and out of bounds all game...so there is that too.
I'd be surprised if he was in bounds leading up to those two back-jams. It looked to me like he was standing on the line before taking the passes. Hard to tell from the camera angle, though.

Syracuse has played three nail biters with Duke since joining this league, and in all three cases we've seen the same pattern in the endings of those games...SU tried to make plays with the game on the line, and Duke looked to the refs to bail them out.

Rak's block in the dome on the attempted dunk that wasn't called a foul.

Fair drives to the hoop in Cameron for what would be the go ahead bucket, and a Duke secondary defender slides in to draw a charge instead of trying to contest the shot, a bad call btw.

Mal and Jones collide over a loose ball, one continues to fight for the ball while the other flops and cries looking for a foul. And then, on a desperation heave, SU has the audacity to actually try to contest the shot, and once again we're left with Duke looking for a foul.

For such a great program they've come across as spoiled brats and/or weaklings In these instances.

The verdict:

It’s a tough way to lose, but, as Coach K said in his press conference, the game can be cruel. It’s likely that the ending would have been far more controversial had fouls been called on either of those plays.

Like the BS charge on CJ two years ago? That kind of controversial? ;)

The verdict:

Yeah. Not only was only one real call in question, the end of game heave, the refs rewarded aggressive play.

I said in another thread, that Malachi collision could have easily ended with the ball careening to a Duke player, right near the hoop. The bounce went our way. It happens.

Regarding that final heave, if you start calling those types of fouls, it's going to open up a can of worms. TC should have backed off, but heat of the moment and what not.

That's a very good detailed analysis. I would also like to say that JBs take on the Coach K blow by makes sense when you watch the video. K is clearly distracted as he's walking down the line shaking hands.

It’s 15 feet from the charge circle to the free throw line. To cover that distance in 0.1 seconds means that Jones was traveling at 102.3 miles per hour, which would be … amazing.

:D
I picked out the same sentence -- amusing and pretty accurate. 102 mpg is 149.6 feet per second, so in 1/10 of a second if traveling at that speed, he would have moved 14.96 feet (in a straight line). Since he's probably not that fast, there was likely some "clock management" going on ... after all, it's an amazing place to play.

Last edited:
That's a very good detailed analysis. I would also like to say that JBs take on the Coach K blow by makes sense when you watch the video. K is clearly distracted as he's walking down the line shaking hands.
I agree .. why would K shake some hands and not others? If he was being a poor sport, he would have avoided the hand-shake line altogether. Obviously, he got distracted by something mid-way, and it wasn't the officials because they were already gone. So JB's explanation that it was some student behavior is more plausible than a lack of class (by one of the classiest coaches in the NCAA).

It was amazing that Duke was able to go almost the entire length of the court in 2 seconds just before halftime and nearly get off a shot before the buzzer.

Ha, they didn't do that in 2 seconds. The helpful timekeeper at Cameron added a second to the clock the instant before they inbounded it, so they actually had 3 seconds. It was almost enough too. Would have won Duke the game. Amazing.

Syracuse has played three nail biters with Duke since joining this league, and in all three cases we've seen the same pattern in the endings of those games...SU tried to make plays with the game on the line, and Duke looked to the refs to bail them out.

Rak's block in the dome on the attempted dunk that wasn't called a foul.

Fair drives to the hoop in Cameron for what would be the go ahead bucket, and a Duke secondary defender slides in to draw a charge instead of trying to contest the shot, a bad call btw.

Mal and Jones collide over a loose ball, one continues to fight for the ball while the other flops and cries looking for a foul. And then, on a desperation heave, SU has the audacity to actually try to contest the shot, and once again we're left with Duke looking for a foul.

For such a great program they've come across as spoiled brats and/or weaklings In these instances.
I've argued this exact same thing with a friend that went to Duke.

I agree .. why would K shake some hands and not others? If he was being a poor sport, he would have avoided the hand-shake line altogether. Obviously, he got distracted by something mid-way, and it wasn't the officials because they were already gone. So JB's explanation that it was some student behavior is more plausible than a lack of class (by one of the classiest coaches in the NCAA).

Especially since K is usually slow going through the line. He makes it a point to talk to opposing players. If he wasn't preoccupied I'm sure he would have stopped to congratulate Roberson on an outstanding rebounding game.

Especially since K is usually slow going through the line. He makes it a point to talk to opposing players. If he wasn't preoccupied I'm sure he would have stopped to congratulate Roberson on an outstanding rebounding game.
Of course. This is post-game drama. You may like or dislike K. But either way, I've never seen him act in a petulant or unsportsmanlike manner towards another team after a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom