UNC Ruling | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Ruling

Boeheim lost 41 wins because of Fab Melo.

Then he lost 60 wins because of Terrance Roberts and Billy Edelin who took money from the YMCA between 2004 and 2007.
Syracuse basketball media guide reveals why Orange vacated games, players involved

Anyone who thinks the NCAA did Syracuse any favors is living in La-La land. If they could have proven violations from 2003 we would have lose the title.
Let’s give Syracuse an atta boy for that though.

I really don't understand how the Ncaa hasn't been investigated yet, they are the biggest bunch of crooks out there, its a sham that they are allowed to conduct themselves they way they have, the Fbi needs to step in and take a good look at these corrupt tools.

Anyone remotely surprised by this has no clue how the world works and its a great glimpse how easy things will be for CUSE going forward in ACC. But im very happy SU sold its soul for football, good stuff!!

Un-flipping believable!!! What a joke! Screw the NCAA'!! I don't even know what to say, it's so preposterous.

On a positive note: SU 7 Clemson 0. ;)

Meh.

We got screwed (more aptly, Rak did) - but the NCAA happened to only ding us back to "2004". We had a tough few years with the recruiting stuff, but that has righted itself already. UNC is UNC and kids would come regardless, scholarship limitations wouldn't mean anything. And how bad would 1 year of a tournament ban hurt UNC?

at this point the NCAA is a mess anyway, I'd personally rather not have Louisville and UNC both down the toilet. As fun as it would be to point and laugh - I enjoy the ACC being the elite college basketball conference. Not a good look to have 2 of your top 5 programs on the brink of the death penalty. We rarely go after the same recruits UNC does anyway

What is your Twitter handle? Message me if you don't want to put it here (or just tweet it to me). I wonder if I follow you.
No it's fine, I believe I'm following you already... @JaredWellman

This "loop hole" in the NCAA rules (If a benefit is available to all students the NCAA can't do anything) is big enough to drive a truck through it.

That no one in the UNC Athletic Department knew what was going on is beyond UNBELIEVABLE.

How do they lose money if they're not in the tourney? The CBS contract pays a fixed amount each year for the life of the contract. It doesn't have clauses that say they'll pay the NCAA less if any off a list of teams are not in it. It may affect things at renegotiation time, but that's hard to picture. And when you consider that the NCAA gets a combined $0.00 for the entirety of the D-1A football season and regular season bball, it's very hard to say there's any economic advantage in not whacking someone.
If all you say is true, then why is there a distinct favoritism towards P5 schools for ALL things bball and football? Everybody says its because P5 schools are the money makers for the NCAA. Yes current contracts don't state certain schools have to get tv exposure but what happens to the next contract if all the P5 schools are held accountable the sam as mid-majorsand there is a derth of "death penalties" handed out to major major programs? Are the various networks going to ponyup billons for games without strong SEC, ACC, PAC10 etc conferences? Would the FF be the same without the usual power teams playing, or the football final 3 games. Networks worry about a few percentage point drops when less than favorite tems play, what would they do if numerous such teams weren't even eligible?

If all you say is true, then why is there a distinct favoritism towards P5 schools for ALL things bball and football? Everybody says its because P5 schools are the money makers for the NCAA. Yes current contracts don't state certain schools have to get tv exposure but what happens to the next contract if all the P5 schools are held accountable the sam as mid-majorsand there is a derth of "death penalties" handed out to major major programs? Are the various networks going to ponyup billons for games without strong SEC, ACC, PAC10 etc conferences? Would the FF be the same without the usual power teams playing, or the football final 3 games. Networks worry about a few percentage point drops when less than favorite tems play, what would they do if numerous such teams weren't even eligible?
After what happened to SMU, it's doubtful the Death Penalty will be ever used again. They'd probably go with schollie restrictions for 4 or 5 years rather than completely zap a team. Since there's no guarantee that the usual suspects will make it to the a championship game in football or bball by winning when they're in, they've got to work on average audience rather than a particular year. The CBS contract ends in 2032. It would be really stupid for either side to bet the farm just on the ratings of 2031 or a particular year. Maybe things need to be completely blown up and have everything start over again from scratch.

Last edited:
I think those calling for Wildhack and SU to call out the NCAA or file a lawsuit are missing the big picture and failing to see what the ramifications would truly be. In the short-term, sure it would feel nice to go for vengeance and try to “clear the name,” of the SU Athletics Department, but in reality that’s not in the school’s best interest.. and would likely lead to being on the wrong side of some horrendous officiating, reminding sports fans and potential recruits of our scandals they may already be forgetting, and would keep us in the spot light in a controversial and negative way. It would be a kamikaze attack on the NCAA.

The better play, and for all we know something along these lines is being done, would be to quietly talk to the NCAA. I’d say something like, “Listen, we know we got royally screwed, and you know it too. Look at what we did, what UNC did and what Louisville did, and look at what happened to each program… and don’t forget, we self-reported, self-punished and basically let you do your thing without putting up much of a fight. The penalties were insanely disproportionate, and cost us millions of dollars, cost our student-athletes opportunities, dinged our reputation, and put us at a competitive disadvantage with some of our conference opponents who got off easier. Now, we could file a lawsuit, or come out guns blazing in the media over this, but we’d rather play nice. We don’t want to rock the boat, we just want to feel a little more appreciated… So, what do you say?”

What’s more appreciated? It’s getting in on the bubble consistently and never getting screwed on the bubble. It’s drawing favorable geographical locations early in the tourney like Duke and UNC do every freaking year. It’s getting our wins back ASAP, maybe even with a little statement about how we handled it well, did the right thing, etc.

Trying to get a little favorable treatment seems to me like the best thing that Wildhack could do. Also, keep in mind that there are major partnerships that our AD has to worry about and a lot of money depends on them. Keeping our programs out of a controversial, negative light is pretty key.

By the way, everyone, the way to really get some bad publicity for UNC is to have tons of people write to the body that gives them accreditation (SACS), and all the academic research organizations, demanding a review of their status... UNC is ranked pretty high as a public university, and in a bunch of tdifferent fields. If they dropped a bunch next year, that would be a headline story and hurt their rep, and deservedly so. I take a lot of pride in the academic reputation of Syracuse and would be FURIOUS and humiliated if something like this happened to us - even more so if it went to that extreme.

I'd be furious enough to be calling/writing the AD and the Chancellor, demanding action.

UNC did end up on probation with SACS, and an article I read basically said there were only two options - probation, which seems like a slap on the wrist, or yanking their accreditation, which could actually be an academic death penalty that makes UNC cease to exist. I think we can agree THAT would be too extreme, even if the slap on the wrist is too little.

But, to some degree, what the NCAA's ruling really means, is that the NCAA is saying UNC was enforcing its own academic policies, which just so happened to be a joke during the time these courses were available... So, while I think we can all agree they deserved the harshest of penalties, there is some truth to this being an academic matter. An NCAA with any teeth would have slapped them with lack of institutional control just on principle, but in reality, this is an issue that should severely harm UNC's academic reputation beyond all else.

Of course, it won't, because everyone just assumes only athletes took those courses and "LOL student-athletes, riiiight, suuuure!"

This "loop hole" in the NCAA rules (If a benefit is available to all students the NCAA can't do anything) is big enough to drive a truck through it.

Yeah, I think the possibilities here are so blatantly obvious that we're basically in uncharted territories for college sports now that the NCAA has all but accepted this practice. As I pointed out, as an alum, I'm proud of the academic standing of my school, and I don't want to see it deteriorate over sports... So I'm thinking of a way to leave the reputation in tact, and do this the "right," way... But I think this framework would accomplish the goals of any P-5 athletic department and be hands-off for the NCAA:

All enrolled students, before selecting courses, are given an opportunity to talk to an academic and career counselor about their goals for the semester and for the future (as far as I know, it would be okay for a coach to say, "Hey, guys, go talk to an advisor before selecting courses to make sure you can manage your workload, get good grades and stay eligible. They'll help you out, just be honest with them about your situation and what you want."). If someone's goal is to stay eligible, they will be counseled as such, regardless of whether or not they're an athlete. There will be courses offered during each semester, including the summer, in which all students have extra access to TAs, etc, to help them further their education (so, a basketball player might do the summer ones, a football player could do the spring ones, etc). There will also be some easier courses available that may be suggested to those who are worried about their academic standing. This can benefit anyone, my roommate freshman year failed out and could have avoided it from this type of option in the second semester. However, all of these courses will be focused in the first two years. By the time junior year rolls around, it's time to really get serious and if you're behind, you may need to make up some core requirements in the summer.

Of course, if some spectacular employment opportunities happened to open up after one or two years, then you might not need to worry about catching up... and therein lies the trick. These options would be available to all students, but most wouldn't take them. The requirements at the end of four years would be the same, so the value of a degree wouldn't change... but it would DRAMATICALLY change the way things work for guys who go in expecting to be one and done or two and done.

Of course, a lot of guys who overestimate their potential would end up as the big losers here if they fell behind on academic work, but at the end of the day, this is kind of what everyone expects of college sports right now, right? Show up, play, go to class (wink wink), and go play professionally ASAP.

I think, all in all, it'd be a black eye on college sports, but who are we kidding? The NCAA has two shiners, a broken nose, a bloody lip, and money out the wazzoo. This would just be a little more up front about the fact that, to many, college football and basketball are just a minor league system for the NFL and NBA.

I also imagine that, to some degree, some of this is already available but 99% of regular students wouldn't even think to do it. Like, if I had a bad GPA freshman year and walked into an academic counselor's office and said, "I'm worried about failing out, what are the easiest possible courses I could take next semester without falling hopelessly behind?"

I'd probably get an answer, right? So perhaps there is some fine line where you can be doing the right thing academically as a university while also giving some leeway for athletes to remain eligible... and if I really wanted to, I could make a convincing argument that doing so would be in the best long-term academic/career interest of past, current and future students in general.

He gets a lot of respect around here simply for the fact that he's relatively pro SU , not because his musings are of high caliber
False. And double false. Bilas is the greatest mind in college hoops and it isn't close. Could care less if he is pro Cuse . He is brilliant as a lawyer and equally brilliant as a commentator. What a wildly off base post this was.

False. And double false. Bilas is the greatest mind in college hoops and it isn't close. Could care less if he is pro Cuse . He is brilliant as a lawyer and equally brilliant as a commentator. What a wildly off base post this was.

Good for you. Calling out wildly incorrect opinions/posts is a good idea.

Of course in the world of commentators, its not too hard like a smart guy to stand out from the crowd.

I wonder what they would prefer, the insights of Dick Vitale?

Here's an idea.

Wanna be morally-superior? Wanna stand up for principle?

SU should refuse to play them. Just forfeit the games.

If more than a couple of ACC schools did this, UNC and the NCAA would be forced to do something more than nothing.

Our rap sheet isn't clean, I know. But we did self-report and we accepted the punishment.

Here's an idea.

Wanna be morally-superior? Wanna stand up for principle?

SU should refuse to play them. Just forfeit the games.

If more than a couple of ACC schools did this, UNC and the NCAA would be forced to do something more than nothing.

Our rap sheet isn't clean, I know. But we did self-report and we accepted the punishment.

I think every team on there schedule should do that. They would be undefeated but with no evidence they should be in the tourney. The ACC would never let it happen though. Imagine the advertisers, TV station reactions, lol. No one would play there if no one should play them either.

I think every team on there schedule should do that. They would be undefeated but with no evidence they should be in the tourney. The ACC would never let it happen though. Imagine the advertisers, TV station reactions, lol. No one would play there if no one should play them either.
Good idea, but neither SU nor any other school that UNC is visiting is giving up that home game revenue. It'll likely be our largest crowd of the season.

Good idea, but neither SU nor any other school that UNC is visiting is giving up that home game revenue. It'll likely be our largest crowd of the season.

We should give Jimmy Fallon courtside seats if he records a short sketch for the video board about UNC "classes." I know it'll never happen, but imagine if they ran that before tipoff how nuts the crowd would go... Then after it ended, they could cut to him holding up a UNC diploma printed on toilet paper.

Seriously,it's my guess there are signed contracts in place specifying remedies for aberrations like that. The penalty would be millions, in fines or forfeiture of a performance bond, or both.

That's fine. That's a legitimate position to take.

But those who take it I think forfeit the right to complain about UNC and the NCAA and the woeful state of college athletics.

Let me re-direct your attention to what Jay Bilas was talking about when he compared the current situation in college athletics to what happened in the US during Prohibition.

There is SOOO much money in college athletics that the schools, even though they wish they didn't have to, they can't help themselves.

Oceans of money create corruption.

Do you think Qatar would be a future World Cup location without it?

If CuseLifer really looks like this, regardless what's she posts please automatically provide my pos t reply as SHES RIGHT! And provide a like. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom