Up 17-0... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Up 17-0...

Hopefully you don't bet for a living. ;-)

I don't, but I really believe Dino regrets that decision, its not that big of a deal, I don't think we would have won the game anyway.

Briancuse said:
I don't, but I really believe Dino regrets that decision, its not that big of a deal, I don't think we would have won the game anyway.
I can guarantee you he doesn't regret it one bit. He might be second guessing the play call, but certainly not the decision.

Well they didn't get it so obviously it was the wrong decision

Hopefully you weren't cheering for the resulting 10 pts that we scored on the first and third drives of the game when we went for it from our 45 and their 47 on fourth downs during those drives because that would be very hypocritical of you. Yes it sucked when we got stuffed up 17-7 but the reason we were up 17-0 is because we went for it on 4th at midfield twice before and were successful resulting in 10 pts that we wouldn't have gotten had we punted.

Unless we have a seasoned stud punter to drop it inside the 10 we are only gaining about 30 yds by punting and our defense has shown that means nothing. Momentum meant nothing at that point anyways because the drive before they had already went 75 yds on 4 or 5 plays so I'd actually argue that by finishing that drive with a td it would have meant more for our momentum actually than them stopping us on downs.

if we are ever in this position again I wonder if we could slow it down given how deplete and just bad the d is... I recognize Babers want to go fast but he needs to win some games and right now going fast at 17-0 isn't goibg to work. Do we have a 5 minute offenses or if south Florida has time will the offense stop working?
Up 17-0 I bet every Cuse fan in America was saying "we're back!"

It takes time...

Did you listen to the post-game presser? He doesn't regret it (nor should he). We don't have the horses defensively at the moment. These are good risks.

By the way, the next possession we punted it back to them inside the 10 and they went back 92 yards in a minute 30 seconds. Field position with this defense means absolutely nada, zip, zero. Good offensive teams are going to score on us more times than not whether it be from from 47 yards out or 90 yards out. We simply need to sustain drives and outscore teams at the moment. If that means 4th and 3 from your own 47, so be it.

Did you listen to the post-game presser? He doesn't regret it (nor should he). We don't have the horses defensively at the moment. These are good risks. .
This is the biggest point I find that detractors of going for it on 4th down miss. The WORSE your defense is, the more risks you need to take in order to avoid giving the other team the ball back. (every 4th down conversion is 1 less possession for the other team)

the question isnt about going for it.. its about being consistent in your conviction for going for it. Dino is and that makes it less of an issue. the team has confidence. the oline just needs to be a bit better, we still cant run when the other team knows its coming. but the oline yesterday was the best all year and had 2 guys getting banged up. USF has a decent dline and we moved the ball well all game, never really got a short field.

now if we struggle to score against uconn its time to start worrying,

DINO SAYS YOU'RE WRONG
Dino and data analytics should tell him he is wrong. Every play is a probability and even the highest probability plays go wrong. Over the long run, picking the highest probability plays will give us the best chance of turning this thing around. In many ways, Dino is the most conservative coach we've had because he makes the highest probability decisions for the team.

We just don't have the talent yet to win and things look worse because that inferior talent is being exposed to 90+ plays on D, which turns into blowouts. Not really that worried and, despite the losses, i am still looking forward to the rest of the season. I'd rather run the team this way and suffer now, because i do anticipate future payoffs. I find this team fun to watch even though it is overmatched on D.

This is the biggest point I find that detractors of going for it on 4th down miss. The WORSE your defense is, the more risks you need to take in order to avoid giving the other team the ball back. (every 4th down conversion is 1 less possession for the other team)

It was probably one of the more honest takes I've heard from a coach in a post game presser. Look my D is undermanned, USF guys are running open, their QB just isn't hitting them yet. I know I'm going to need points on all possessions to keep up.

His mindset is the exact opposite of anything we've seen.

We give 110 yards per play and people worry about short fields? Our best defense is a defense that doesn't play.
Which I far prefer to the days when our best offense was an offense that doesn't play.

I want to see if a florida state guy can do the bo jackson tecmo zig zag back and forth down the field for a 500 yard touchdown

4th and 5 or less around midfield or better and we should be going for it almost every time. As others said, if we didn't go for it on 4th down on two previous drives, then we aren't up 17-0 to begin with. Mind-boggling how something works 2 out of 3 times and people's immediate reaction is to call it a failure. Hypocritical.

Did you listen to the post-game presser? He doesn't regret it (nor should he). We don't have the horses defensively at the moment. These are good risks.

Just because he doesn't regret it doesn't make him right..lol

Just means he is too proud to admit it was a mistake. Or can't see it was a mistake.

Just because he doesn't regret it doesn't make him right..lol

Just means he is too proud to admit it was a mistake. Or can't see it was a mistake.

He doesn't regret it because it wasn't a mistake. So the alternative is we punt it and instead of a 47 yrd TD drive, its a 90 yd TD drive (which happened a possession after). We simply need to outscore teams at this point. He knew that and he went for it.

He doesn't regret it because it wasn't a mistake. So the alternative is we punt it and instead of a 47 yrd TD drive, its a 90 yd TD drive (which happened a possession after). We simply need to outscore teams at this point. He knew that and he went for it.

Considering they lost the game. Considering they scored on a short field it clearly was a mistake. This is a results oriented business. Decisions have results. His decision had a bad and negative result. No way to spin that into something else. So to say it wasn't a mistake is clearly false.

You say they would have scored on a 90 yard drive...that isn't a fact. What is a fact is what happened.

Considering they lost the game. Considering they scored on a short field it clearly was a mistake. This is a results oriented business. Decisions have results. His decision had a bad and negative result. No way to spin that into something else. So to say it wasn't a mistake is clearly false.

You say they would have scored on a 90 yard drive...that isn't a fact. What is a fact is what happened.

Well he played the odds, USF scored on a 92 yard drive the following drive. He doesnt' trust his defense. This isn't brain surgery. I didnt even think twice about that 4th and 3. Would have been shocked if he didnt go for it. I think you better get yourself mentally prepared for a much more aggressive, progressive style from our head guy.

Well he played the odds, USF scored on a 92 yard drive the following drive. He doesnt' trust his defense. This isn't brain surgery. I didnt even think twice about that 4th and 3. Would have been shocked if he didnt go for it. I think you better get yourself mentally prepared for a much more aggressive, progressive style from our head guy.
Man I'm all in on this. I honestly don't get the handwringing for the 3-yards and a cloud of dust crowd.

i don't know why i'm bothering but i'm sure you don't apply this logic consistently.

if a team scores after a punt on 4th and 99 from your own one yard line, it's a mistake to punt it?

if the offense and the defense both improve by 20% with new schemes we will be fine this year with a team built all wrong for the style.

we could have slowed it down and lost 28-20 would that make us fell better?

can we add 3-4 players on both sides next year that make a difference? on offense we probably need 1 play maker, are we even recruiting one that can be that guy?

on d we need more but can we get a FR that can be that player? we are probably looking at 2-3 yrs so the offense needs to get there quicker and more plays is the way to get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom