USA East Coast Basketball trip with Benny Williams | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

USA East Coast Basketball trip with Benny Williams

Honestly, I see more Ryan Blackwell than Billy Owens in his game.
Is that worthy of 5star expectations- probably not. But I can see JB carving out a productive role for him.
I think Benny gets better and becomes a good/very good player…this year.
I think the Benny we saw at Duke is who we’re gonna get most nights. We shall see.
Fwiw, I would be thrilled if Ben grades out to Ryan Blackwell. We didn't really get to see Ryan as a true frosh, since he came by way of Illinois. But, i remember Blackwell being an efficient player; one that maximized his talents.

Fwiw, I would be thrilled if Ben grades out to Ryan Blackwell. We didn't really get to see Ryan as a true frosh, since he came by way of Illinois. But, i remember Blackwell being an efficient player; one that maximized his talents.
Blackwell Ave. 12 and 8 his sophomore yr. If Benny does that . Cuse has a good shot at Ncaa

Blackwell Ave. 12 and 8 his sophomore yr. If Benny does that . Cuse has a good shot at Ncaa
Blackwell got drafted by the NBA. My best comp for Benny is the anti-Moten. High expectations, low production, ugly shot, head down dribble charge.

Blackwell got drafted by the NBA. My best comp for Benny is the anti-Moten. High expectations, low production, ugly shot, head down dribble charge.
Ryan Blackwell was picked in the NBA Draft?

I thought he looked good today. Much more purposeful, had a better plan. Crashed the boards and as was said already, made a lot more plays for his teammates than the stats show - even though it wasn't taken advantage of. Defensively, he was assertive and didn't let his man do much in the way of creating looks. Looked more of the bully than the bullied today.

Blackwell got drafted by the NBA.
The Office Lie GIF

I can appreciate the Bullish takes on Benny as well. I need to see another couple games before feeling that way.

Given what he can do on the court I do think expectations of his contributions make more sense to look at what Andre Jackson did at UConn. AJ is a great athlete and good passer and a tough defender. Benny can be all those things. No matter what, that puts more on younger shoulders offensively but it's still an useful piece. We badly need defense.

According to coach he was not a good shooter in HS. He will be a token starter.

Coach says stuff.

Orangezoo nails it below.

What is so weird is if you watch him at IMG, his approach and process when shooting was different. As was his decision making. On the ball he still had that lower the shoulder with head down tendency that is such a bad habit for a player like him but his footwork and release off a catch was smooth at IMG with no mechanical pauses like he has now. Also when he did go up to finish at the rim he was direct and went strong. Since getting here its often been too much finesse. I will say if you go back and watch more highlights a lot of non dunk drives its not clean very often but still better tendencies and approach.

Not sure who is working with him, especially with his shot- but it's had a very poor outcome on his game even if he was maybe a tad overrated.

Agreed -- his mechanics and release seem completely different.

Ok- I don't know what you guys were watching but after reading some of the PBP, I half expected Benny to faceplant every time down the court.
IMHO, he looked much more assertive and moved better than anyone else on the USA side- the kid stood out. Would I have liked him to be more assertive and demand the ball a bit more? Sure. But it wasn't like he was totally clueless out there, and his defense looked pretty good.
Best word to describe what I watched was...bouncy. He looked like the puppy who starts to figure out how his various parts work together. I saw improvement, not bright hot, but improvement nonetheless. Let's see how he looks when he gets plays actually run for him, instead of just around him.

A couple of years ago, I was extremely hopeful that Jalen Carey was going to make the sophomore leap that many of our players seem to have. He participated on this same tournament, and I made a bunch of posts about how useful it would be for him to hone his lead guard skills, get some extra games under his belt after a wasted freshman season, etc. Many of the same things that are being said about Benny in the present tense.

Then, the games started and Carey wasn't especially good. Don't worry -- I posted, he's trying to run the offense more than score, he's trying to get his teammates involved, etc. Might have had one nice game or two out of the entire tour, but otherwise -- poor performance.

And because of that, the buzz started about the likelihood that Carey WOULDN'T take that next step and be the player we need him to be. Don't worry -- I posted, this was a good developmental experience, and everything will be all right when he gets back on campus into a familiar system...

Now, Benny's story is still being written, far too early to write him off, but I'm seeing parallels. Sophomore that the team is counting on to make substantial improvement, but very little evidence that he has.

Here's hoping his trajectory is different than Carey's. But sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

A couple of years ago, I was extremely hopeful that Jalen Carey was going to make the sophomore leap that many of our players seem to have. He participated on this same tournament, and I made a bunch of posts about how useful it would be for him to hone his lead guard skills, get some extra games under his belt after a wasted freshman season, etc. Many of the same things that are being said about Benny in the present tense.

Then, the games started and Carey wasn't especially good. Don't worry -- I posted, he's trying to run the offense more than score, he's trying to get his teammates involved, etc. Might have had one nice game or two out of the entire tour, but otherwise -- poor performance.

And because of that, the buzz started about the likelihood that Carey WOULDN'T take that next step and be the player we need him to be. Don't worry -- I posted, this was a good developmental experience, and everything will be all right when he gets back on campus into a familiar system...

Now, Benny's story is still being written, far too early to write him off, but I'm seeing parallels. Sophomore that the team is counting on to make substantial improvement, but very little evidence that he has.

Here's hoping his trajectory is different than Carey's. But sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Yep. Carey is the story Benny eerily resembles. I really hope that changes.

I just hope if his offense isn't there he can excel on defense, rebounding, etc - not let it affect him adversely so that he gets all in his head and pouty - hope he can stay fully engaged throughout those games where his offense isn't there.

I was in Hawaii to watch the Orange play Illinois. Blackwell looked very good to me as a frosh.

The kids an athlete. If we push the ball this year he will do fine. He needs to run. Not a half court player

Having Jesse as a big will make the halfcourt game still an option using a 3 man system with Judah Joe and Jesse. That said yeah we need to push it and we should have the horses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom