USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Vincent Price always sat in a bottom, floor level square in Hollywood Squares because he was afraid of being up high in a middle or upper square during an earthquake.

He wasn't afraid of it collapsing on him? :rolleyes:

I am very familiar with UCF and USF. I agree about UCF, that school is a giant in the making. USF is a dumpster fire and IMO will never get there. UCF pulls students from all over the state. USF is 80% Tampa kids, very limited appeal around the state and not much even in Tampa.

However, UCF is not passing UF in the next 50 years. UF alums are all the old money in the state. Tons of political power and business titans are alums. I could see UCF passing FSU in 50 years though.

FSU was UCF in the 50's and 60's.

While I’m at it, I’m going to end this now too…

UNC is not stupid, they most certainly ARE NOT wedded to a small private school 5 miles or whatever away.

They will drop them in a heartbeat in football and end up playing them anyway in hoop just like they do now.

See Syracuse and the old BE.
Basketball is their priority. Playing Iowa and Minnesota on the regular will not fly

God. This all just blows. My favorite sport - becoming Triple A baseball. Morons. I thought these were colleges. Not Google. All of the fun were regional rivalries. That and hating the NDs, TOSU, Bama’s of the world.

Guess there’s always soccer.

Seems to me like you're talking past each other. What I'm hearing is the landscape around a long term contract has changed to the point where it is highly likely one party or more will be willing to break it as the opportunity is greater than the consequences.

Given this likelihood, it might be good business for the parties to the contract to identify, up front, the liquidated damages that would occur on breach. It was thought, at the time of signing, that the math would never work out so that it made sense for a party to leave. Surprise!!

I think what these gents have been (in)eloquently saying is - why not define that now? - knowing full well that certain parties are already doing the math. The point is an acknowledgement - that the GOR will not hold the conference together and cannot do so once the equation produces a different result for certain parties. No one is saying to ignore the damages - only to accept the fact that parties break contracts all the time. Didn't SU break a contract with Wyoming to do an away game there? - - paid a liquidated damages fee IIRC. Breaking contracts is business too. Attempting to hold a party to specific performance in this case will be futile. It's in our interest to make new agreements with new partners based on current facts - that work for us going forward. I don't think anyone is saying not to collect the cash that results from damages for breach of the old contract.
What you just posted is correct because your stated position is to uphold the GOR.

While I’m at it, I’m going to end this now too…

UNC is not stupid, they most certainly ARE NOT wedded to a small private school 5 miles or whatever away.

They will drop them in a heartbeat in football and end up playing them anyway in hoop just like they do now.

See Syracuse and the old BE.
We’ve seen politics alter these negotiations in the past with UVA/VPI and I think you’ll see the same thing with Oregon/Oregon St and Washington/Wash St if Oregon or UW attempt to strike out on their own. I think NC St could be the potential bigger issue for UNC. Wake/Duke will be left behind in the snap of a finger.

This is for the “just let Notre Dame go” faction and their brethren, “the SEC is just going to gobble up the ACC anyhow” gang.

On the contrary, the SEC wants the ACC to survive. It is true. Here is why:

If the ACC were compromised or breaking up, Notre Dame would (at least for a few minutes) become a free agent.

ND would never join the SEC. Many reasons. Too many to list, but nothing more obvious than the academic disconnect. Plus, the Irish rarely beat SEC teams.

The SEC believes that in the end, they are better than the B10 on the field and they also want to own the broadcast rights bucket. It seems that the B10 might get more than the SEC in the coming years. Time will tell, but that race is relatively close.

If ND found its way to the B10, the broadcast rights would flip and the B10 (aka FOX) would become the Big Daddy. They’d be not only winning, but in a dominating fashion.

So, with that in mind, the SEC/ESPN will do whatever it has to do (which in this case is do nothing) to keep ND in the ACC. This also means that ND will play all its ACC road games on ABC/ESPN/Disney (and not on Fox). This is important.

If ND were a free agent for a few minutes, they’d realize that they cannot be a independent program like they were for most of their history. Who would they play? They’d have serious issues lining up 12 games.

So if the ACC were hypothetical broken up, ND very likely not find any sympathetic ACC teams to play, as the Irish always had the ability to save the ACC. I mean you have to assume most or all of the (now former) ACC schools would hold a grudge or be too busy with their new B10 lovers to find time to schedule ND (most especially in the middle of the season).

Beyond that, the Irish to the SEC notion is a non starter (as stated above), the ND to the PAC 10/12 is a “no go,” if only due to geography (this USC/UCLA thing is bat-ship crazy and ND is not that dumb). And the Big 12 … well, they are sort of a sad bunch right now.

That leaves the B10 as the lone viable option for the Irish.

And ND, they’d bite the bullet and take it, justifying it to themselves that they’re now getting $100M per year. One unlikely caveat is that the Irish would spurn the B10 if somehow the new CFB paradigm does not include football players attending class. That seems to be possible, but more likely down the road.

So, not only are Clemson, FSU and Miami redundant markets for the SEC (and that is a no-no), the SEC won’t touch those schools out of fear of forcing ND into the bed of the ultra-rich and super-horny B10, which just got a LA-infused boob job and has (for the last ~40 years) had its eyes on ND.

If the B10 consummated its relationship with the Irish, the SEC would lose their market leverage as the undesputed “biggest and baddest” mantle in the college football land. (How can “it just mean more?” when the B10 earns so much more revenue?)

The longer term worry for SU, and Alsacs alluded to this, is the B10 (remember, this is actually FOX) poaching these ACC schools, all of which have traits beyond football that fit the B10 in concept (listed in no particular order): FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, UVa and maybe (but doubtful) Georgia Tech.

Morals of the story:

1) Notre Dame is going to remain an independent that plays five ACC football games annually while docking their hoops and Olympic sports in the safe harbor that is the ACC.

2) SU and the ACC will be fine and Phillips is doing well to partner up in some form or fashion with the PAC 10/12. He cannot sit idle and it does not appear that he is. This “loose partnership” won’t solve the ACC’s revenue disparity conundrum, but it will whittle away at it, and most importantly, assert the ACC as the definitive No. 3 conference.

3) This’ll make ESPN happy, as they’ll continue to own a super majority in the FBS college football space.

Last edited:
This is for the “just let Notre Dame go” faction and their brethren, “the SEC is just going to gobble up the ACC anyhow” gang.

On the contrary, the SEC wants the ACC to survive. It is true. Here is why:

If the ACC were compromised or breaking up, Notre Dame would (at least for a few minutes) become a free agent.

ND would never join the SEC. Many reasons. Too many to list, but nothing more obvious than the academic disconnect. Plus, the Irish rarely beat SEC teams.

The SEC believes that in the end, they are better than the B10 on the field and they also want to own the broadcast rights bucket. It seems that the B10 might get more than the SEC in the coming years. Time will tell, but that race is relatively close.

If ND found its way to the B10, the broadcast rights would flip and the B10 (aka FOX) would become the Big Daddy. They’d be not only winning, but in a dominating fashion.

So, with that in mind, the SEC/ESPN will do whatever it has to do (which in this case is do nothing) to keep ND in the ACC. This also means that ND will play all its ACC road games on ABC/ESPN/Disney (and not on Fox). This is important.

If ND were a free agent for a few minutes, they’d realize that they cannot be a independent program like they were for most of their history. Who would they play? They’d have serious issues lining up 12 games.

So if the ACC were hypothetical broken up, ND very likely not find any sympathetic ACC teams to play, as the Irish always had the ability to save the ACC. I mean you have to assume most or all of the (now former) ACC schools would hold a grudge or be too busy with their new B10 lovers to find time to schedule ND (most especially in the middle of the season).

Beyond that, the Irish to the SEC notion is a non starter (as stated above), the ND to the PAC 10/12 is a “no go,” if only due to geography (this USC/UCLA thing is bat-ship crazy and ND is not that dumb). And the Big 12 … well, they are sort of a sad bunch right now.

That leaves the B10 as the lone viable option for the Irish.

And ND, they’d bite the bullet take it, justifying it to themselves that they’re now getting $100M per year. One unlikely caveat is that the Irish would spurn the B10 if somehow the new CFB paradigm does not include football players attending class. That seems to be possible, but more likely down the road.

So, not only are Clemson, FSU and Miami redundant markets for the SEC (and that is a no-no), the SEC won’t touch those schools out of fear of forcing ND into the bed of the ultra-rich and super-horny B10, which has (for the last ~40 years) had its eyes on ND.

If the B10 consummated its relationship with the Irish, the SEC would lose their market leverage as the undesputed “biggest and baddest” mantle in the college football land.

The longer term worry for SU, and Alsacs alluded to this, is the B10 (remember, this is actually FOX) poaching these ACC schools, all of which have traits beyond football that fit the B10 in concept (listed in no particular order): FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, UVa and maybe (but doubtful) Georgia Tech.

Morals of the story

Notre Dame is going to remain an independent that plays five ACC football games annually while docking their hoops and Olympic sports in the safe harbor that is the ACC.

SU and the ACC will be fine and Phillips is doing well to partner up in some form or fashion with the PAC 10/12. He cannot sit idle and it does not appear that he is. This “loose partnership” won’t solve the ACC’s revenue disparity conundrum, but it will whittle away at it, and most importantly, assert the ACC as the No. 3 conference. This’ll make ESPN happy, as they’ll continue to own a super majority in the FBS college football space.
And we have a winner.

Married to Duke? Hell, I'd end my marriage for $100M.

If I could only come up with that much cash . . .

Rodney Dangerfield could not have delivered that line any better.

Speaking of Rodney, he was once at Bandit Bob's Bookstore on Marshall Street doing a meet and greet thing. I walked in with a friend and there was Rodney. He was smiling but he looked a little uncomfortable. As we left, a news crew (from channel 5?) came in to interview him. The reporter was Al Roker (it was his first job out of college), wearing an orange leisure suit. Sad that I can remember what Al was wearing but I can't recall what I just had for breakfast.

Mt favorite Rodney line: "I was walking down the street in Las Vegas and a hooker came up to me and said "I'll do anything you want for twenty dollars." I said "OK, paint my house."

what really has changed is UNC wasn't going to join a lesser academic conference like the SEC 10-20-30 years ago. It was academic suicide. What has sneakily changed is the perception of the SEC schools academically now. They are moving up the rankings and making it palatable for a UNC to brazenly admit this now.

Syracuse deciding to become easier to get into and lesser ranked academically has made the university less palatable for academic schools to saddle up to us vs 25 years ago. If I knew that SU would be ranked behind Northeastern and most likely UMass shortly, I would have gone to BC in a heartbeat. This stuff matters when you enter the work force.

what really has changed is UNC wasn't going to join a lesser academic conference like the SEC 10-20-30 years ago. It was academic suicide. What has sneakily changed is the perception of the SEC schools academically now. They are moving up the rankings and making it palatable for a UNC to brazenly admit this now.

Syracuse deciding to become easier to get into and lesser ranked academically has made the university less palatable for academic schools to saddle up to us vs 25 years ago. If I knew that SU would be ranked behind Northeastern and most likely UMass shortly, I would have gone to BC in a heartbeat. This stuff matters when you enter the work force.
When did SU decide to become easier to get into? My impression is I would never get in today like I did in the 80’s

When did SU decide to become easier to get into? My impression is I would never get in today like I did in the 80’s
Syracuse University/Acceptance rate
68.7%

That's pretty much a pulse situation for an above average student. I wish the school had been more selective but ultimately all schools should let in more students. Just working against them now

That’s what’s wrong with big business and the supposed ‘smart world’ etc - contracts, promises, laws, regulations don’t mean a thing - it’s all about greed. Like little kids who cross their fingers behind their backs - just liars.
ef8da9e6708a7bcd2cf6b1ce84b5b707.jpg

Does it really though? Unless your looking to go to Wall Street or Big Law none of this really matters. I'd call myself fairly successful so far in my career and attended a State school.

Syracuse's ranking with US News and reports has made a comeback since Syverud took over. Your obsession with BC is weird.

Syracuse's ranking with US News and reports has made a comeback since Syverud took over. Your obsession with BC is weird.
VERY weird. Family goes there, is 10 miles from my house, was a fan and still am. Should I revoke membership because I decided to go to SU? I have this strange brain where I can be friendly and a fan of multiple colleges and don't look at this as US VS THEM.

Basketball is their priority. Playing Iowa and Minnesota on the regular will not fly
if they dont value $$$$, then they are:

1. foolish
2. set up for disaster
3. foolish

they will drop them and move on in a heartbeat, not even worth discussing.

they are more wedded to NCST.

both schools are likely better off not being in the same conference for hoop, they could market that game or games by itself outside of conference affilation and keep all the $$$ for themselves.

oh yeah, you basically said they dont value $$ and value that little rivalry more...so give me the $$ generated.

VERY weird. Family goes there, is 10 miles from my house, was a fan and still am. Should I revoke membership because I decided to go to SU? I have this strange brain where I can be friendly and a fan of multiple colleges and don't look at this as US VS THEM.
Cool. You're going to run into a lot of people on a Syracuse board and CNY locals who definitely don't feel the same way. You feel the need to prop them up a lot. That's all. It's noticeable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom