USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

There is one school that can add value. That’s it that’s the list.

Other schools have been rebuffed.
One team adds a lot , that's why if there going to add from PAC 10 and or BIG 12 they will need to come in with numbers to make it worth while

The SEC and Big payouts are maxed.
Only 1 school brings enough value to be accretive. ND.

Because the ACC and PAC are not maxed out there may be room to add schools that would be accretive.

The inherent problem with all conferences are the the existing schools that each conference has to carry that dont carry their own weight.
Think the Mississippi schools, Wake Forest. Nebraska ...
Those schools get an equal share but dont carry their weight.
The ACC has room to add strategic markets like Washington, Arizona, and others that will more than pay for themselves and be accretive for ESPN also.
Those elements are what is required to make a deal.
Im 50 -50 but believe that the PAC ACC and ESPN will put something together.

Resignation in the sense that we can’t be proactive or pull any levers. Lally complex won’t be completed or be in a position to enhance the brand for several years. If football starts going to bowl games, again, that doesn’t award us a spot in this musical chairs. We need some big hitters politically or financially to shake things up. We have influence with ESPN, Weitsman? Biden?

Maybe as another poster speculated he’s trying to scare donors into action. Idk.
I get what you’re saying but it made me laugh.

I am just picturing Wildhack seeing the conference realignment news and muttering to his secretary to get the President on the phone haha.

I mean, I’d take it!

The recent moves have me concerned like most, but really does it change anything????? I feel that college fb is such a geographic tied following. So what the redneck mid south and the rust belt/midwest want to play each other and keep what they think is all the money... will the rest of the country care? I just dont think so.

We will be fine.

the issue will be if the big schools decide to take their ball and run with it and get out of the ncaa and do their own thing. what if they decide to make it 100 scholies a team. that removes a ton of kids from all the other schools playing ball now and those schools will be fcs pretty fast..
No matter how the exodus from the NCAA is sliced and diced, there are more schools that would vote against having 100 scholarships than there are schools that would vote in favor.

As others have mentioned. Sec and Big only have one team to add that would make a difference. That’s not the same for the ACC and Big 12. They could both add teams that would add value to their viewership and deals. It’s not like the Big 10 and SEC that are practically at 100 million a team already.

That's the killer. The writing is on the wall, and everyone sees it. No matter the composition of this proposed 3rd tier conference, there will always be the "prisoner's dilemma" where every member would be stupid not to be quietly vying for admission into the SEC or B1G. Makes for a very uneasy partnership within the conference.

In my opinion, this is has been the case for the last decade or more. Nobody has ever left the B1G or the SEC. They are apex predators. As soon as a team leaves your conference for those greener pastures, you have established yourself as a feeder conference, which the ACC, Big 12, Pac12, AAC / Big East have shown that they are. Anyone in a feeder conference is just waiting to be the "next man up".
Georgia Tech left the SEC in 1964.

Georgia Tech left the SEC in 1964.

And the University of Chicago left the Big 10.

And the University of the South left the SEC.

Both in the 1940's.

I was speaking more of the modern era, when teams understood what was at stake. I consider formation of the Big 12 to be the beginning of realignment, followed closely by the raiding of the Big East.

JWs comments were thought out and for effect . He is a very intelligent individual. He doesn’t throw out statements without reason.
Belief without evidence? The free pass that Wildhack gets on this board is unbelievable

8c1cbc2cf46378d3ce0d7d586ccd4cdc.png

Belief without evidence? The free pass that Wildhack gets on this board is unbelievable
It’s just fact , from people that actually know him. Not Monday morning QBs on a fan board like myself.

It’s just fact , from people that actually know him. Not Monday morning QBs on a fan board like myself.
Hope the football program gets on track with the new coaches.

You're so right. You would easily have had us in the SEC by now.

yep, he would have made a few more phone calls couple more e-mails and it gets done!! If only Wildhack wasn't asleep at the wheel!!! The whole thing that Wildhack isn't on top of the situation considering his background is ABSURD, IMO.

Two sides for each deal.

yep, he would have made a few more phone calls couple more e-mails and it gets done!! If only Wildhack wasn't asleep at the wheel!!! The whole thing that Wildhack isn't on top of the situation considering his background is ABSURD, IMO.

Two sides for each deal.
An AD for a P5 school gets graded on the success or failure of its football program, Period.

Last edited:
The SEC and Big payouts are maxed.
Only 1 school brings enough value to be accretive. ND.

Because the ACC and PAC are not maxed out there may be room to add schools that would be accretive.

The inherent problem with all conferences are the the existing schools that each conference has to carry that dont carry their own weight.
Think the Mississippi schools, Wake Forest. Nebraska ...
Those schools get an equal share but dont carry their weight.
The ACC has room to add strategic markets like Washington, Arizona, and others that will more than pay for themselves and be accretive for ESPN also.
Those elements are what is required to make a deal.
Im 50 -50 but believe that the PAC ACC and ESPN will put something together.

People keep saying only schools that can be accretive at this point and I agree but doesn't that lend itself to ND thinking if we can add 100mm plus to the BIG or SEC why wouldn't our next tv deal approach said number if we are such a dynamic value to a conference?

I don't get why ND wouldn't push for more home games than any other team to further maximize their valuation. If they are an independent can't they essentially play 8-9 home games, one shamrock and then figure out the USC back and forth game.

My guess is their negotiations with the ACC may be something to that effect for football.

I would rather see John project some confidence or reassurance that SU will be able to weather this turmoil. I’m not liking that air of resignation. That’s not what leaders are paid to do. Yes there may only be so much within the university’s control, and behind the scenes admit as much, but publicly tell the fans something more optimistic so we can perhaps sleep a little better at night.
If you read the article and the full transcript of the interview, the headline really doesn’t reflect what Wildhack said. His full quote when asked if it was inevitable that Syracuse would be left out of imminent additional expansion of the B10 and SEC:

“I don’t know if that’s inevitable or not,” Wildhack said last week. “It clearly could go that way.”

He strongly believes the GOR will keep the ACC together for the foreseeable future and if you listen to the latest Nunes podcast there is an interesting discussion about NBC is actively looking for more live sports for Peacock, how that may affect the Notre Dame deal which expires in 2024 and how that may affect the ACC.

Let's start with Notre Dame. Fact 1: ND has a contract with the ACC that says it must join the ACC in football if it joins a league. Fact 2: Virtually no one expects ND to join the ACC. How can that be?
Thanks for saving me 20 minutes of typing. Every point in this post is spot on.

An AD for a P5 school gets graded on the success or failure of its football program, Period.
Yeah, no

It’s a huge part of it - but there are numerous reasons why Syracuse is different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom