USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 82 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

The thing I keep thinking of is if some schools go the route of not having to go to class, possibly get paid with school budget and is basically a minor league……how many school chancellors/presidents, board of trustees, and other school officials are going to support that model? Might be even tougher for state schools. The charter of institutes of higher EDUCATION does not mean being a pay for play minor league.
You would think, but there are enough administrators, legislators, et al., who normally would shoot something like that down, who are so enthralled by the notoriety they are more than willing to have it happen. AMOF, there are a surprising number of people involved in actual instruction who would be more than happy to have revenue-sport athletes out of their classes. Let's face facts, they are the athletes least likely to have the academic credentials of non-athlete students and a lot of academicians are tired of the accommodations they have to make.

The thing I keep thinking of is if some schools go the route of not having to go to class, possibly get paid with school budget and is basically a minor league……how many school chancellors/presidents, board of trustees, and other school officials are going to support that model? Might be even tougher for state schools. The charter of institutes of higher EDUCATION does not mean being a pay for play minor league.
There's another aspect to schools with a no class approach. If "no class" football factories become identified as such in the public perception, that identification could in some ways hurt their recruiting. Sure some elite athletes who just want a shot at the NFL will find it attractive. But it's not like the NBA where an 18 year old kid would have at least a better sense of their ability to make the pros than would a FB player.

A college degree from no class universities would essentially be meaningless to employers and leave employers with a "dumb jock" applying for a job. Decent students and their parents with any sense of rational thinking would understand this and would therefore be more inclined to go somewhere where their degree is actually worth something in the (likely) event the athlete does not make the pros.

Then of course as you point out, do school Chancellors and BOTs want to be known as operating dumb jock schools? Some may not care, but most would.

If I remember I think if SU wanted to go to the B10 it would have been between Rutgers and SU, not both. The B10 wanted to add schools near multiple major markets not just NYC.

For a spot in the ACC it was a better fit and less competition for a seat at the table
At the time, neither SU or Rutgers on their own was seen as having enough juice to capture NYC, but the idea is that the two together, plus the rest of the B1G, could help break into the biggest TV market and get the Big10 Network onto the primary cable package.

Last edited:
Are people forgetting that there was a moment in time when the ACC came close to convincing Penn State to leave the B1G and join? It was not a foregone conclusion 12 years ago that the B1G would forever top the ACC in terms of value.
100 percent. The Big10 was always concerned about losing PSU to the ACC. Penn State was on an island alone in the East with none of its historic, natural rivalries in the same conference with them anymore. If the ACC had gotten their network started earlier, it could have been a whole different ballgame. FSU, Miami, Penn State and Clemson in the same conference, plus the possibility of ND. Jim Delaney’s enduring legacy/greatest move was starting the Big10 Network. It was mocked a bit as a money-loser at the time, but the revenue that was eventually produced there put the Big 10 far ahead of other conferences in TV revenue.

100 percent. The Big10 was always worried about this. Penn State was on an island alone in the East with none of its historic, natural rivalries in the same conference with them anymore. If the ACC had gotten their network started earlier, it could have been a whole different ballgame. Jim Delaney’s enduring legacy/greatest move was starting the Big10 Network. It was mocked a bit at the time, but the revenue that was eventually produced there put the Big 10 far ahead of other conferences in TV revenue.

I still think the final boss of all this crappy movement of schools is the biggest brands just forming their own league. The BIG at a point will realize how awful the brands of Rutgers and Nebraska really are compared to others and will ask them to take haircuts.

I think this is all going to continue going round and round until congress decides on an amateur sport bill that will create some model for sports at the collegiate level. With the disproportional interest/impact of sports on our culture it's not a stupid thing for congress to focus on. I feel like it's something both sides COULD agree to because it benefits everyone ultimately: constituents, tax payers everywhere, students and the colleges

Are people forgetting that there was a moment in time when the ACC came close to convincing Penn State to leave the B1G and join? It was not a foregone conclusion 12 years ago that the B1G would forever top the ACC in terms of value.
Penn St would crush it in the ACC. When the playoff moves to 12 teams they will probably make it once, maybe twice a decade in the Big10. In the ACC I bet they would make it around 5 times a decade. I also think they would benefit with a mix of regional games like Pitt, BC, SU and southern teams from Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida every year. I bet they would kill it in recruiting in the ACC.

Ya they would make less tv money so it will probably never happen bun Penn St playing for a championship every other year is a juggernaut in the making. It would really be a home run if they brought Maryland back with them.

Going to ask a dumb question, can they do that? Meaning, if that were to happen, wouldn't Ohio St basically have to spin off the football team as a separate entity and becoming a for-profit business? I am not even remotely close to understanding the legal issues, but wouldn't that throw things into a total mess?

Why didn't the ACC commissioner have any sense of urgency before the B1G picked off the PAC's LA market. If the ACC and the PAC had formed an defacto league then, the ACC could have added 4 more team and there would have been 5, 6 team divisions with a lot of marquee teams. Things that make you wonder.

Going to ask a dumb question, can they do that? Meaning, if that were to happen, wouldn't Ohio St basically have to spin off the football team as a separate entity and becoming a for-profit business? I am not even remotely close to understanding the legal issues, but wouldn't that throw things into a total mess?

I have no clue either but it’s what’s occasionally talked about for sometime in the future.

Why didn't the ACC commissioner have any sense of urgency before the B1G picked off the PAC's LA market. If the ACC and the PAC had formed an defacto league then, the ACC could have added 4 more team and there would have been 5, 6 team divisions with a lot of marquee teams. Things that make you wonder.

People make this stuff seem so easy. “Why didn’t so and so just do…”. You must think that if the ACC had just invited ucla and usc they would have picked the ACC over the Big.

People make this stuff seem so easy. “Why didn’t so and so just do…”. You must think that if the ACC had just invited ucla and usc they would have picked the ACC over the Big.
Well, if your the commissioner of a major conference and you know all the other leagues GOR's are ending, I don't know what else would be more important to spend your time and resources on. I wasn't saying for the ACC to try to get the LA teams, I was saying make the merger with the entire PAC then. But it worked out for the B1G's benefit, go figure.

At the time, neither SU or Rutgers on their own was seen as having enough juice to capture NYC, but the idea is that the two together, plus the rest of the B1G, could help break into the biggest TV market and get the Big10 Network onto the primary cable package.

Yeah maybe I'm not remembering correctly. I def remember getting into the NYC market a priority for the Big Ten, but I had thought they wanted other markets too.

It's wild to think how much cable subscriptions mattered 10-12 years ago

Well, if your the commissioner of a major conference and you know all the other leagues GOR's are ending, I don't know what else would be more important to spend your time and resources on. I wasn't saying for the ACC to try to get the LA teams, I was saying make the merger with the entire PAC then. But it worked out for the B1G's benefit, go figure.

We’ll if you had listened to Phillips interview yesterday you would have heard him say they realize there is a big money gap and there are things they are currently doing to close the gap and other things they are still talking about. But because he didn’t come out and tell you what those things are, you assume they are doing nothing. Did you know usc and ucla were going to the big? No. Ask yourself why.

We’ll if you had listened to Phillips interview yesterday you would have heard him say they realize there is a big money gap and there are things they are currently doing to close the gap and other things they are still talking about. But because he didn’t come out and tell you what those things are, you assume they are doing nothing. Did you know usc and ucla were going to the big? No. Ask yourself why.
He doesn't have any connections? Ok. He's being reactive, he needed to be proactive. Maybe SU has a ghost of a chance to get into the B1G when the ACC goes the way of the Dodo bird, there is that hope.

USC/UCLA have been planning the B1G move for a while. Before they surprised the rest of the PAC with their announcement, they likely had the most clout in the league. Do you think they would have gone along with some sort of PAC/ACC deal?

USC/UCLA have been planning the B1G move for a while. Before they surprised the rest of the PAC with their announcement, they likely had the most clout in the league. Do you think they would have gone along with some sort of PAC/ACC deal?

Don’t bother.

UCLA has to answer to the politicians in California, even at this point it seems dicey. A PAC/ACC deal with USC/UCLA in it and power adjusted payouts would have been very strong. USC playing Clemson, FSU and Miami would have generated big viewing.

Don’t bother.
It really shocks me that you're an SU alumni and you always want to stifle opposing viewpoints. If you want to post here, don't criticize Phillips, Wildhack or Dino.

Last edited:
It really shocks me that you're an SU alumni and you always want to stifle opposing viewpoints. If you want to post her don't criticize Phillips, Wildhack or Dino.

Criticizing is one thing. Just saying crap because you don’t know is another. Yea we should have had ucla and usc.

So easy to play Monday morning QB. Bottom line is we have no idea what’s going behind the scenes. Just because something hasn’t happened doesn’t mean they haven’t tried. Maybe the ACC offered the PAC 12 a merger and they said no, maybe they offered USC. Bottom line is we have no idea, nor should we have any idea what’s going on behind the scenes.
So easy to play Monday morning QB. Bottom line is we have no idea what’s going behind the scenes. Just because something hasn’t happened doesn’t mean they haven’t tried. Maybe the ACC offered the PAC 12 a merger and they said no, maybe they offered USC. Bottom line is we have no idea, nor should we have any idea what’s going on behind the scenes.

UCLA has to answer to the politicians in California, even at this point it seems dicey. A PAC/ACC deal with USC/UCLA in it and power adjusted payouts would have been very strong. USC playing Clemson, FSU and Miami would have generated big viewing.
very strong isn't the $100 mil they are going to get in the Big 10, not even remotely close, especially splitting the pie so many more ways. and Gavin Newsom isn't going to be able to stop UCLA from leaving. You do continue to entertain me with the hot to the point of being burnt beyond recognition takes, however, so don't change who you are, Cous!

Why aren’t you dating a super model? Are you not trying hard enough?

When you put on the CEO hat, your goods are on the line. I guess they give out participation trophies to CEO's nowadays as well. Good grief.

very strong isn't the $100 mil they are going to get in the Big 10, not even remotely close, especially splitting the pie so many more ways. and Gavin Newsom isn't going to be able to stop UCLA from leaving. You do continue to entertain me with the hot to the point of being burnt beyond recognition takes, however, so don't change who you are, Cous!
Don't underestimate how unscrupulous Gavin Newsom can be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom