USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

This is just movement for the sake of movement and it honestly doesn't even matter. If you aren't in the SEC or BIG 10 you are minor league. It's going to 2 conferences. BIG 10 and SEC want nothing to do with the ACC, BIG 12 or PAC 12. The split is happening.
Big 12 making a final play to stay relevant. Has zero % chance of working. Even if you steal 6 PAC 12 schools, once the Big 10 or SEC comes calling for any of them (or any current Big 12 school) they will still jump.

All this does is kill the ACC quicker and make the Big 12 the solid #3 conference after the SEC and Big 10 split away.

Arizona and Utah are much different culturally from NoCal, Oregon and washington. They would fit with the Big12 middle America ethos. Colorado has long regretted leaving the Big12 and would feel back at home there. With USC and UCLA gone, there is nothing holding those groups together.

I don’t understand the whole metrics of which teams the SEC or Big 10 would like to have. To me, ND seems the only team that brings “value”. Having said that, I think the BIG 10 would love to get Clemson and or Fla St and or Miami. Just to give the SEC the finger and a foothold into that area for recruiting.

That's the thing about ether. Once you start sniffing it, things get interesting.
I only made this post in the first place because I thought AL knew I liked his strident voice and would take it as an old guy giving him good natured flack. But, different generations.

So, 5 is OK, but 6 is a bridge too far?

Not sure what you are saying here. Those 5 schools add some value to the B12. After that they should look East. The B12 should be looking to add Memphis and USF before the 6th-10th P12 school.

Not sure what you are saying here. Those 5 schools add some value to the B12. After that they should look East. The B12 should be looking to add Memphis and USF before the 6th-10th P12 school.

Ah, now that is clearer.

Agreed - once you get to a certain point, the remainder of the P(formerly)12 are kinda meh.

But it puts them in a solid #3 spot with this move. Hurts the ACC. That's what it is. They are trying to be the solid #3 conference overall (#1 conference in the NCAA after the BIG10/SEC leave the NCAA.)

Plus all of these schools moving is nice, but it literally means nothing. Arizona moves to the Big 12, great, IF the Big 10 eventually calls they will just jump to the Big 10. Money is too great and need to be in one of the 2 conferences that matter.
I don't think it does. Just more mouths to feed. There are a lot of meh schools the ACC could add that really wouldn't add much as well.

Couldn't this still wind up 4 X16? The Big 10+, the SEC+, the ACC holding together and maybe adding a couple of pieces and the remnants of the Big 12 and Pac 12 getting together. Sure, the first two would be the most powerful but does that really mean that the others fly apart and the NCAA goes out of business"

Four power conferences always made more sense than 5. Just put the champs in the playoff. :rolleyes:

I don't think it does. Just more mouths to feed. There are a lot of meh schools the ACC could add that really wouldn't add much as well.

If anything IMO the ACC and B12 are already too big. The only reason to expand is if there is a split with FBS where the B1G is 20+ teams, the SEC is 20+ teams, and a 3rd conference of 20+ teams is needed. So say B1G at 24, SEC at 24, and #3 at 24 for a new 72 team division. Otherwise there is no need to expand.

Man, I couldn't read past the second paragraph:

"...When diagnosing the travails of modern college sports, the fact that university decision-makers have virtually no expertise in the billion-dollar enterprise they run on the side often gets overlooked."

Guess we can't expect the ESPN employee to call it greed. Instead he's gotta sell that bit of bullshit, pretending that the athletic tail wagging the administrative dog hasn't been happening for a generation and hasn't been thrown into overdrive in the last decade.

This is a clear longshot but worth a try - invite Stanford and Cal along with Oregon and Washington and use those additions to lure ND.

With the new scheduling model ND’s permanent opponents would be Pitt, BC, Stanford, who they have always played anyway, plus 5 more ACC games (like they are already contractually obligated to play). They can sign OOC contracts with USC and Navy and the schedule would not meaningfully change.

I doubt this would work, but it’s time to be proactive and exhaust every option. Maybe ND is annoyed by the B10’s aggressive power moves and sees this as an opportunity to put that league in their place and reset the landscape

kinda like Ill-Ind-NW-Neb-Rut are in the B10 already.

This is a clear longshot but worth a try - invite Stanford and Cal along with Oregon and Washington and use those additions to lure ND.

With the new scheduling model ND’s permanent opponents would be Pitt, BC, Stanford, who they have always played anyway, plus 5 more ACC games (like they are already contractually obligated to play). They can sign OOC contracts with USC and Navy and the schedule would not meaningfully change.

I doubt this would work, but it’s time to be proactive and exhaust every option. Maybe ND is annoyed by the B10’s aggressive power moves and sees this as an opportunity to put that league in their place and reset the landscape
Unequal revenue sharing would probably be a must in this scenario. SU gets a smaller piece than the big football schools, but a lot more than they would in a diminished ACC/successor league.

I read pretty much this entire thread and here are 2 simple things I believe work in our favor.

- The NY Market. Whether ACC stays together or we need to jump, any super conference should want the NY Market included for value of the TV deal. Maybe Rutgers satisfies that for the B1G … maybe not. Regardless being NY’s College Team works in our favor.

- The ACC Network: having a successful network should put the ACC in a stronger position to expand / poach teams than the PAC & Big 12

I think / hope we will be OK when the dust settles

ND must be irate because they've been checkmated into probably joining the Big 10 with their kissing cousin USC at home there now.

Buckle up, we're going to see some real turbulence for the BC/Syracuse/Pitt type schools now
ND got passed to the B1G like a prison biatch

Last edited:
I can't keep up with this.

Just stay competitive in basketball.

Just be fun and at least entertaining in football wherever we end up.

College sports has fully taken a backseat for me, regardless, outside of Cuse.

I'm going back to following NBA free agency now.
Taking SU and the Raiders out of the equation, I've prioritized the NFL over college football my whole life. Glad I made that decision.

Cowherd interviewed Joel Klatt and they both agreed the B1G would only expand for ND. 10:05 mark.

There are not a lot of assets that increase the per school payout. That is true. But there are plenty of schools who add value in other ways and the networks would be willing to pay them at the going rate.

Adding P12 teams will add a bridge and cut travel for USC/UCLA. Is FOX really going to balk at adding Seattle, San Fran, Phoenix, Denver, and Salt Lake City?

Adding ACC Southern teams gets the B1G into those markets and that fertile recruiting ground. Why concede the South to the SEC? The B1G won't have as good of a product without those recruits. Plus, wouldn't FOX want to have games in those markets? It makes sense for the B1G to get into VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL.

Big12 on a major offensive looking to take 6 teams and end the PAC and throw a wrench in the works of the B1G's plan of a western wing.

Moment of silence for the PAC.

The big 12 isnt sitting by

Arizona, ASU, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Rado

Couscuse is a better source

Riker clap.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online