USF opens -12.5 over SU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

USF opens -12.5 over SU

why play the game. We can't handle them. Give us the L. The sky is falling

I don't think anyone is saying that. It's just a shock to the system to go from mentally penciling this in as a probable win in the preseason to the experts having us as a big underdog at home.

donniesyracuse said:
"pace," in terms of scoring points.

Right. Do you think this team is as good on either side of the ball that we just played? I don't. They are good and deserved to be favorites, but we can keep pace scoring.

Once again, they have speed over us all over the field. I didn't see anything on Friday evening that thinks we can keep this game close. The crowd will be low 30's on Homecoming, with barely any students in the house. We couldn't stop them last year and I don't think we'll do much better this year. We better hope we can score at least 45 to win. I don't see that happening.

Right. Do you think this team is as good on either side of the ball that we just played? I don't. They are good and deserved to be favorites, but we can keep pace scoring.
I guess I want to see the team score more than 33 points before I predict that they can score 45 points.

what dino does DEFENSIVELY against usf will speak volumes to me how i view him.
he did not have any complaints re the d after the game, which is worrisome . he kept talking about the ville qb!!! our weakness went well beyond him---that's what bothers me most--- and quite frankly is bs. all the wide open ville receivers, no qb pressure etc etc? i love the guys demeanor, i'm the boss, etc etc. i do not like denial.

donniesyracuse said:
I guess I want to see the team score more than 33 points before I predict that they can score 45 points.

Fair enough.

I'll disagree. This is the week the O really clicks.

tipphill said:
what dino does DEFENSIVELY against usf will speak volumes to me how i view him. he did not have any complaints re the d after the game, which is worrisome . he kept talking about the ville qb!!! our weakness went well beyond him---that's what bothers me most--- and quite frankly is bs. all the wide open ville receivers, no qb pressure etc etc? i love the guys demeanor, i'm the boss, etc etc. i do not like denial.

It's not denial. He knows the weaknesses of the team. He also was right in pointing out that there were many many times our defenders were in the right spots and Jackson still had his way.

It's a fair line! By far! Who are we to complain? They ran over us last year and are more than capable again. They are big and fast and athletic. Gonna be an uphill battle. Usf is legit!
not to mention a twin of the qb that utterly ripped us last week essentially.

CanadianSU said:
not to mention a twin of the qb that utterly ripped us last week essentially.

Not even close. He's got some of the same skills, sure. But I'm not sure there is a peer to Jackson running and passing this year. (Watson is a better passer, but not as crazy athletic running).

surprised it now higher coming off the last game.. we playd UL again it would be more like 25-30.

[QUOTE ="upperdeck, post: 1874893, member: 474"]surprised it now higher coming off the last game.. we playd UL again it would be more like 25-30.[/QUOTE]
You are probably right. The L-ville lined jumped from like -14.5 to -17 or -17.5 an hour or so before game time Friday. Someone knew something.

When you consider Ishmael, Cordy and Dowels being out maybe 12 1/2 is about right, I thought it might be a little less. I'll be curious to see how the line moves this week.

USF has won 9 of their last 11 games going back to last season with the same QB, RB and key WR. However, the best team they played during that stretch was Temple. If SU had their schedule last season SS might still have a job. Ironically, that run started with their home win over SU.

I agree it's a blessing to play USF right after UL. Similarly constructed offenses. I haven't a clue if their D knows how to handle Baber's offensive tempo. I'm curious to see if the USF D looks gassed in the 4th.

I'd be cautiously optimistic that we can hang with them, but I would make that bet.

Surprisingly, we have never beaten USF in the Dome (0-4), and the average margin of defeat is 23 points.

The line seems right based on last week. I'm hoping we can be better on Offense and make a game of it but we have another excellent fast running QB. It doesn't look good.

Respect is earned and SU has not earned it yet. My hope is that the players play with a huge chip on their shoulders on Sat and start the slow climb back to respectability.

The advantage is that HCDB has film of us vs USF from last year. USF is not playing against the same SU they faced last year but we are and we were out of shape compared to them last year - not so this year! This was the game I was most looking for to see where we are under HCDB's new system. Advantage SU in a wild shootout looking to see more records broken. LGO!

690West said:
lord have mercy
Given the losses on defense, that line seems fair to me.

If you asked me at the beginning of the season, what positions could we least afford to lose players, the answer would have been CB, DE and safety (both).

Ishmael is a big loss too but at least there are some bodies behind him.

Hudson is probably our best CB playing the run but he has really struggled in pass coverage. Hudson will probably get the start Saturday but I think Jones, the true frosh from Ohio, is going to end up winning the CB slot opposite Corey.

Williams and Scissum are next up at FS I think. Williams is a really good athlete. Can he stay healthy enough to play?

I said before the season started and continue to think the biggest key towards this team becoming bowl eligible is whether the defense can consistently stop the run. They did a great job against Colgate and an awful job against UL. Despite the big passing numbers they put up against UNI, the Bulls are a run first offense. Their top RB suffered a concussion against Towson and missed the UNI game. Not sure but I would guess he will sit out or at least be less than 100% Saturday. They have some other les experienced RBs who can run though. Their QB Flowers is a good, not great runner. He doesn't have nearly the speed or agility we saw Friday.

They will see the film and try to run outside repeatedly until SU proves they can stop this. They have enough speed that they might be able to do this. It is surely a big key to the game. I think Flowers can hurt us some passing but if we can take the run away and force him to pass in passing situation, we might be okay on defense.

Their defense looks fast and talented but is not as good as UL's, particularly against the run. I think we are going to have to find a way to run the ball against them when they play 5 and 6 DBs. Those are the two keys to the game (and the season for that matter).

I think USF is good. Somewhere in the top 25-35 range. This game is going to be a big challenge for Syracuse. I hope they are up to the task.

How is that even possible? Usf had a nice year last year, but a 12.5 fav on the road, just wow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom