USF opens -12.5 over SU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

USF opens -12.5 over SU

I can understand people have some trepidation, but I'm going out on a limb here - we're probably not digging ourselves out of a 21 point hole 5 minutes into anymore games this season.

CanadianSU said:
not to mention a twin of the qb that utterly ripped us last week essentially.

Flowers isn't in Jackson's class.

Jackson has a big game this week against FSU and he's in serious consideration for the Heisman.

storange said:
The line seems right based on last week. I'm hoping we can be better on Offense and make a game of it but we have another excellent fast running QB. It doesn't look good.

Just about everyone we play seems to have an athletic QB.

I see one positive when comparing our chances against USF and Louisville. No way are we going to be facing a QB the likes of Lamar Jackson. I might be suffering from an infatuation man crush, but Jackson imo is the best freshman college QB that I've seen in a long time. Great instinctive runner. His passing could be better and probably will be.

But..this early in the season, with a new coach, new D and O, it's too risky to absolutely believe that we will cover that spread.

I see one positive when comparing our chances against USF and Louisville. No way are we going to be facing a QB the likes of Lamar Jackson. I might be suffering from an infatuation man crush, but Jackson imo is the best freshman college QB that I've seen in a long time. Great instinctive runner. His passing could be better and probably will be.

But..this early in the season, with a new coach, new D and O, it's too risky to absolutely believe that we will cover that spread.
he's a sophomore ;)

Also - and it pains me to say this to a guy with bevo in his user nmae - that Manziel kid at A&M had a pretty good freshman year, no matter what kind of train wreck he's become since.

he's a sophomore ;)

Also - and it pains me to say this to a guy with bevo in his user nmae - that Manziel kid at A&M had a pretty good freshman year, no matter what kind of train wreck he's become since.

nevermind.jpg

The Bevo thing...that was the name of my late St. Bernard (Bevo Francis)...no connection to the great state of Texas, or the U. A team (football and basketball) that I have always disliked.

cuseguy said:
Just about everyone we play seems to have an athletic QB.

Probably no coincidence that the top 3 teams in the ACC all have one. Top 4 if you include ND. Luckily we get to play them too.

But I think even the drop backs will have success against us. Zone heavy, pass rush light. No hard to pick that apart.

Chip said:
Probably no coincidence that the top 3 teams in the ACC all have one. Top 4 if you include ND. Luckily we get to play them too. But I think even the drop backs will have success against us. Zone heavy, pass rush light. No hard to pick that apart.

It's definitely a concern going forward.

Not my favorite style of defense.

Without great pass rushers or lockdown corners, it's a porous defense.

sutomcat said:
Given the losses on defense, that line seems fair to me. If you asked me at the beginning of the season, what positions could we least afford to lose players, the answer would have been CB, DE and safety (both). Ishmael is a big loss too but at least there are some bodies behind him. Hudson is probably our best CB playing the run but he has really struggled in pass coverage. Hudson will probably get the start Saturday but I think Jones, the true frosh from Ohio, is going to end up winning the CB slot opposite Corey. Williams and Scissum are next up at FS I think. Williams is a really good athlete. Can he stay healthy enough to play? I said before the season started and continue to think the biggest key towards this team becoming bowl eligible is whether the defense can consistently stop the run. They did a great job against Colgate and an awful job against UL. Despite the big passing numbers they put up against UNI, the Bulls are a run first offense. Their top RB suffered a concussion against Towson and missed the UNI game. Not sure but I would guess he will sit out or at least be less than 100% Saturday. They have some other les experienced RBs who can run though. Their QB Flowers is a good, not great runner. He doesn't have nearly the speed or agility we saw Friday. They will see the film and try to run outside repeatedly until SU proves they can stop this. They have enough speed that they might be able to do this. It is surely a big key to the game. I think Flowers can hurt us some passing but if we can take the run away and force him to pass in passing situation, we might be okay on defense. Their defense looks fast and talented but is not as good as UL's, particularly against the run. I think we are going to have to find a way to run the ball against them when they play 5 and 6 DBs. Those are the two keys to the game (and the season for that matter). I think USF is good. Somewhere in the top 25-35 range. This game is going to be a big challenge for Syracuse. I hope they are up to the task.

Where's Winfield? I have him as our best corner.

It's not denial. He knows the weaknesses of the team. He also was right in pointing out that there were many many times our defenders were in the right spots and Jackson still had his way.
like i said, there was more to what happened than the qb

tipphill said:
like i said, there was more to what happened than the qb

Yep. That you think he unaware or ducking responsibility somehow is crazy talk. That's all.

I would expect USF to be a favorite, but I like the points here. I think Syracuse will be able to score enough to keep it close, and give ourselves a shot at the W. Now will our defense be anything more than tackling dummies will remain to be seen.

I'm thinking about hammering the Cuse money line on this one.

Kidding, not kidding.
Where does one do this? No, I'm not heading to Vegas just to lay a bet.

The defense was shockingly bad. This game sets up the same way where USF just steamrolls us with a power game. I don’t see many 75 yard 1 play drives but I see them reeling off huge chunk plays. 30 yards a clip. I’m guessing a 49-37 type game; USF.

Will USF cramp up every time our offense gets in a rhythm? Is there any rule that prevents that tactic? If not, we lose a lot of our strategy on offense and it could be a long day for us.

I look forward to see how we bounce back on defense for this game. An excellent opportunity for the defense to show some marked improvement against an good offensive team.

This team will forever be a handicapping nightmare.
Even though we might be outmatched we are never going to stop trying to win even late in the game. If we had slowed the game against 'ville in the fourth quarter the score would have been closer.
Many or most coaches will slow down the game to keep the other team from running up the score. Big point spreads are going to happen, good and bad.

spread up to 14. Alot of money coming on for USF. Very damning spread. Smells like a 45-21 game.

spread up to 14. Alot of money coming on for USF. Very damning spread. Smells like a 45-21 game.

Bettors are assuming we suck. We might suck but I'm not willing to say that yet.

I'm thinking about hammering the Cuse money line on this one.

Kidding, not kidding.

It pays +450. If you're serious, you can make a killing.

It pays +450. If you're serious, you can make a killing.

Yes, I'm serious. I will timestamp it if I do.

I know USF is loaded with talent, but this seems silly. Depends on how many I imbibe during the tailgate. That always leads to good decisions.

There are two schools of thought when a new coach arrives. Does the coach fit the players he inherits into his system, or does he utilize a system that best fit what he has until his recruits eventually arrive? Dino clearly fits into the first category. Interestingly, it seemed as if Marrone fell into the 2nd category. Neither is wrong IMO. Offensively, Dino's conversion to his system immediately has worked so far. However, defensively has not had the same results yet. I know it's early but I can't help but notice that when you have a LB Corp full of blitzers, you best find a way to get them going after the QB. If the strength of your DL is your interior, you have to overprotect the outside so that runners are forced to run through the center.

Time will tell but I think there is opportunity for immediate improvement defensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom