Utica Pioneers #22 at Cortland Red Dragons #17 10/7/23 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Utica Pioneers #22 at Cortland Red Dragons #17 10/7/23

What about D2 or the NAIA?
There are many D3 schools considered considerably stronger than D2. As a whole, D3 is thought higher of in coaching circles.

But basketball was pretty good back in the 90's with my boy Scott Clarke!!!
I remember that name.

I went there for a year and they had a kid named DeWaun Cheatham(sp?) who could really play. He was in one of my classes and I played in pickup games with him a few times, and I remember going to a couple games and he was their star.

Felt like he was one of those D-3 guys who couldn’t have been too far away from getting some D-1 looks, talent wise.

I remember that name.

I went there for a year and they had a kid named DeWaun Cheatham(sp?) who could really play. He was in one of my classes and I played in pickup games with him a few times, and I remember going to a couple games and he was their star.

Felt like he was one of those D-3 guys who couldn’t have been too far away from getting some D-1 looks, talent wise.
Scott is the only one I knew from those teams. I knew Joe Sullivan a little. But, Scott was ahead of his time. The coach had a hard time getting used to Scott's style.

Scott is the only one I knew from those teams. I knew Joe Sullivan a little. But, Scott was ahead of his time. The coach had a hard time getting used to Scott's style.

Cheatham would’ve been early 00s.

I think Clarke was like early-mid 90s?

I remember that name.

I BELIEVE THEY MADE THE d3 BBALL TOURNEY LAST AS WELL.

Cheatham would’ve been early 00s.

I think Clarke was like early-mid 90s?
Yes, that's right. Scott went in to the Navy and when he got out he went to UC. He played like Steph or Dame. He would just pull up from 25-30 and make it. He was the PG. The coach wasn't a fan of that. Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread about football with basketball stuff.

Yes, that's right. Scott went in to the Navy and when he got out he went to UC. He played like Steph or Dame. He would just pull up from 25-30 and make it. He was the PG. The coach wasn't a fan of that. Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread about football with basketball stuff.
Bringing it back to football but sticking with the “back in the day”, their QB in their inaugural season was a kid from Proctor and it’s really bothering me that I can’t think of his name.

A few years later their QB was a kid from Rome named Nick Martin, who I knew pretty well.

Bringing it back to football but sticking with the “back in the day”, their QB in their inaugural season was a kid from Proctor and it’s really bothering me that I can’t think of his name.

A few years later their QB was a kid from Rome named Nick Martin, who I knew pretty well.
To me that's what makes it a fun team to follow a little as they have mostly kids from upstate with a good number from the CNY region. Last year they had a RB/WR from VVS who was all-American and came just short of winning the D3 Heisman, Ever since they put up that dome, the program has taken off.

I played a few seasons at Utica. Coach Faggiano has done a great job with the program. The facilities were really starting to improve my last year there. Our team played Ali Marpet, guy was unbelievable.

I played a few seasons at Utica. Coach Faggiano has done a great job with the program. The facilities were really starting to improve my last year there. Our team played Ali Marpet, guy was unbelievable.
Lol. When you said Coach Faggiano, i immediately thought of Blaise Faggianio, IC player and buddy of mine in college…holy s&&t it’s him!!!! Go UU and beat cortland!

Lol. When you said Coach Faggiano, i immediately thought of Blaise Faggianio, IC player and buddy of mine in college…holy s&&t it’s him!!!! Go UU and beat cortland!
He’s a really nice guy. I knew he played at Ithaca back in the day. Small world.

To me that's what makes it a fun team to follow a little as they have mostly kids from upstate with a good number from the CNY region. Last year they had a RB/WR from VVS who was all-American and came just short of winning the D3 Heisman, Ever since they put up that dome, the program has taken off.
Nate did some work for me. Great kid. Wants to be a NYS trooper

35-0 Cortland, 5 minutes to go until half.
Cortland, Ithaca, Brockport have long established success and traditions.

Utica is getting there.

Just not their time yet.

IMG_6411.jpeg

Is Cortland a deep playoff team?
Maybe final 16 but D3 has some powerhouses in the Midwest. The only game they lost they blew a 17 point 3rd quarter lead against Susquehanna who was also ranked I believe.

Is Cortland a deep playoff team?
Nope. IC or c-state can probably get to the quarters at best (as IC did last year). Top teams are too stacked.

35-0 Cortland, 5 minutes to go until half.
Fin, what do you expect on the Utica/Brockport matchup? Can Utica compete better with them than they did against Cortland?

Fin, what do you expect on the Utica/Brockport matchup? Can Utica compete better with them than they did against Cortland?
I don’t think Brockport’s as strong as Cortland, but they are strong. Particularly on defense.

I think it’s a closer game for sure, tough to handicap, but I’ve got Brockport here.

Rain comes in, who knows what happens.

And looking at that screenshot of the halftime stats from the Utica/Cortland matchup made me feel very sad about last night lol. Eerily similar.

I don’t think Brockport’s as strong as Cortland, but they are strong. Particularly on defense.

I think it’s a closer game for sure, tough to handicap, but I’ve got Brockport here.

Rain comes in, who knows what happens.

And looking at that screenshot of the halftime stats from the Utica/Cortland matchup made me feel very sad about last night lol. Eerily similar.
It does suck being a fan of both reams. I do think it is possible that the winner of UU/Brockport could still make the playoffs.