Utica Pioneers #22 at Cortland Red Dragons #17 10/7/23 | Syracusefan.com

Utica Pioneers #22 at Cortland Red Dragons #17 10/7/23

CousCuse

Comin in Hot
D3 football has gotten pretty darn good in the 315. That dome has propelled Utica's program into a power. Go Pioneers!!!

A power?? They’ve had a nice start to the season but nobody is confusing them with Mt Union, let alone Ithaca or cortland.

I wish we still had D3 powers in CNY but those midwestern teams seem to have carried D3 to another level.

They're ready for the Red Dragons this time around. Utica Greens gives them super strength like spinach did for Popeye.
It depends where they get the greens from.

They're ready for the Red Dragons this time around. Utica Greens gives them super strength like spinach did for Popeye.
I’ll bet you a beer…

I know this matchup fairly well.

What would you think the point spread would be if there was one? UU+5ish?
I honestly think it’s closer to +14. At Cortland. D3 isn’t as easy to handicap. But I’m not at all sold that this game will be tight. In my heart I feel like Cortland wins big.

I honestly think it’s closer to +14. At Cortland. D3 isn’t as easy to handicap. But I’m not at all sold that this game will be tight. In my heart I feel like Cortland wins big.
Cortland is a seasoned team with long term success and used to big games. Utica did however go on the road in the playoffs last year and win a game in Pa. which surprised me. They then got stomped by Mt Union, but it was probably a good learning experience. I think it's a classic game of the upstarts taking on the old guard for top position. I think it will be a great game.

What would you think the point spread would be if there was one? UU+5ish?
They have one common opponent this year. Lycoming. Utica beat Lycoming 38-35. Cortland beat them 62-7.

They have one common opponent this year. Lycoming. Utica beat Lycoming 38-35. Cortland beat them 62-7.
That's a data point. Transitive properties are not always that predictive. Cortland has put it on Utica for a while, This game amounts to a seeding game for the playoffs should both teams win out and make it. Brockport is the third team in the Empire 8 that is very strong and both have to play them.

That's a data point. Transitive properties are not always that predictive. Cortland has put it on Utica for a while, This game amounts to a seeding game for the playoffs should both teams win out and make it. Brockport is the third team in the Empire 8 that is very strong and both have to play them.
I played a little ball at Utica back in the day and I’m pulling for them. However, I think Cortland wins this one by 14 plus unfortunately.

I played a little ball at Utica back in the day and I’m pulling for them. However, I think Cortland wins this one by 14 plus unfortunately.
Utica moose.jpg

I got my BS from Utica but it was online, only went on campus to get my books and to walk for graduation. So I have zero connection to the school. Wish I cared because I would like to follow a school I am an alumni of but simply can't get myself to care. Remote school is like remote work, there is zero attachment to the place because you aren't living the cultural experience or developing close relationships.

I got my BS from Utica but it was online, only went on campus to get my books and to walk for graduation. So I have zero connection to the school. Wish I cared because I would like to follow a school I am an alumni of but simply can't get myself to care. Remote school is like remote work, there is zero attachment to the place because you aren't living the cultural experience or developing close relationships.
You have a real connection with the school and you posted so you must have some level of care. People follow teams that they have no connection to and Utica is good, real good, ranked #22 in D3 which has 243 programs. Just some side action.

Last edited:
I wish we still had D3 powers in CNY but those midwestern teams seem to have carried D3 to another level.

There are few FCS teams in the midwest. If you’re good, not FBS, and want to stay closer to home, you go D3. The midwestern d3 conferences are absurdly competitive.

There are few FCS teams in the midwest. If you’re good, not FBS, and want to stay closer to home, you go D3. The midwestern d3 conferences are absurdly competitive.

What about D2 or the NAIA?