UVa down 9 to Wake - 2:30 left | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UVa down 9 to Wake - 2:30 left

Wake actually stole the ball and had possession and a 7 point lead with 20 seconds to go. Please try to find me a worse collapse EVER.

That just might be the worst.

In 1974 (no 3 point baskets) UNC scored 8 points in 17 seconds versus Duke to tie it and won in overtime.

In 1999 USC, inbounding the ball with 2.8 seconds left and trailing by 5, scored 6 points to beat Oregon by one.

In 1994 Kentucky trailed LSU at LSU by 31 points with 15 and a half minutes to go and won by 4 in regulation. LSU scored 47 points in the second half ... and lost. Although this is over a much longer period of time and a different situation I think it's amazing and had to mention it.

Last edited:
CZshE1JWkAAhtcX.png

Wake actually stole the ball and had possession and a 7 point lead with 20 seconds to go. Please try to find me a worse collapse EVER.

1982 Big East Tournament...up by 8 or 9 on BC with something like 90 seconds left...turned the ball over a number of times in succession and lost...

Guaranteed us no NCAA for the second year in a row (can you imagine what this board would have been like after that game...LOL...)

It wasn't worse but THAT was painful.

I think it's the worst I've ever seen. Considering they got a steal up 7 with 1 minute left, but then threw it away. Then you look at that last shot, thrown up there with one hand, and from that angle, and still gets the glass?

Unbelievable.

I think it's the worst I've ever seen. Considering they got a steal up 7 with 1 minute left, but then threw it away. Then you look at that last shot, thrown up there with one hand, and from that angle, and still gets the glass?

Unbelievable.
So is it great coaching by Tony Bennett or inept coaching by Danny Manning. Imagine if Mike Hopkins was coaching last night.

So is it great coaching by Tony Bennett or inept coaching by Danny Manning. Imagine if Mike Hopkins was coaching last night.

Neither. Just UVA's good fortune, Wake's misfortune of missing so many free throws.

I think it's just one of those things. Kid that made the steal should have held it for the foul. And if they hit their free throws it's overtime at worst.

Good teams never give up, they think they'll find a way to win on a bad night, so credit that part to Bennett.

Bad teams tend to panic and wonder when and how they'll lose.

At the end of games, I always think of the game 3 years ago Notre Dame beat Louisville in 5 overtimes. In regulation, Notre Dame was down 8 pts at 51 seconds left. By the time 16 seconds were left, Jerian Grant had scored 12 points against Louisville's 4 to tie it up. There was no more scoring in the last 16 seconds.

I can't believe how soon some announcers call a game won. I also can't believe the times Gbinije has gone for a 2 at the end of a game when we needed a 3.

For sure! Hop would be taking a beating on here. How could Manning allow that collapse to happen:)

Wow. Even the great Bill James doesn't get the concept of 3 Standard deviations? Last night was an exceptional outlier, but saying 100% in his model...hmmm

actually, if you set it up with UVA having the ball, it drops it to 61% safe (which seems outrageously low)

Not even close. In '74, Duke led UNC by eight with seventeen seconds remaining and lost, and there was no three point arc in those days. As long as I can remember, that has been the standard by which all conference chokes are measured.

Not even close. In '74, Duke led UNC by eight with seventeen seconds remaining and lost, and there was no three point arc in those days. As long as I can remember, that has been the standard by which all conference chokes are measured.
I'd bring up SU's collapse to Pitt a few years back (2008) but I already have a problem with stomach acid.

reedny said:
I'd bring up SU's collapse to Pitt a few years back (2008) but I already have a problem with stomach acid.

That was the first thing that came to my mind. Ugh. That was a busted remote control ending at my place

reedny said:

That game still p***** me off. That and the 2007 Louisville collapse...kicked a table across my living room and left it there for a few months after that debacle.

Neither. Just UVA's good fortune, Wake's misfortune of missing so many free throws.

Missed free throws aren't misfortune...they are missed opportunity or poor basketball.

Last edited:

Hopkins? Imagine if Boeheim were coaching...

Why do we always play zone?
Cooney sucks
Coaching staff cannot recruit
Cooney sucks
Our offense is terrible
Cooney sucks
JB needs to retire
Cooney sucks
We need Hop on the bench NOW (oops, that one probably has probably gone by the wayside)
Cooney sucks
This is the worst season EVER
Cooney sucks

That would pretty much sum the board up after a loss like that...

Wake actually stole the ball and had possession and a 7 point lead with 20 seconds to go. Please try to find me a worse collapse EVER.[/QUOTE

I believe Duke once beat a former ACC school just north of VA in a similar circumstance... early 2000's if I'm not mistaken... but, last night's UVa win was won for the memory... doesn't happen often, and thankfully the team I cheer for was on the winning end...

Not to nitpik, but UVA had the ball.

I guess i forgot about the TO there. But does that count as true possession?
actually, Wake had the ball... Brogdon had thrown the ball away to WF, then Wake turned it back over with 19.3 and Shayok hit a 3 with 15.8 seconds left, if I'm not mistaken...

Some nights it's just better to be lucky than good. We didn't deserve to win that game, but I'll gladly take it.

I actually stopped watching with about 2 minutes left. I had to watch the replay on ESPN3 to even believe it happened.

Missed free throws aren't misfortune...they are missed opportunity or poor basketball.

Well, according to Webster's Dictionary below, I would conclude that it meets the definition since those missed free throws (conjunction of events) certainly caused an unfortunate or distressing result for the Wake faithful. Indeed they missed an opportunity...to win the game! ;)

Full Definition of misfortune
  1. an event or conjunction of events that causes an unfortunate or distressing result : bad luck <by misfortune he fell into bad company> <had the misfortune to break his leg>b : an unhappy situation <always ready to help people in misfortune>

2. a distressing or unfortunate incident or event <misfortunes never come singly>

Well, according to Webster's Dictionary below, I would conclude that it meets the definition since those missed free throws (conjunction of events) certainly caused an unfortunate or distressing result for the Wake faithful. Indeed they missed an opportunity...to win the game! ;)

Full Definition of misfortune
  1. an event or conjunction of events that causes an unfortunate or distressing result : bad luck <by misfortune he fell into bad company> <had the misfortune to break his leg>b : an unhappy situation <always ready to help people in misfortune>

2. a distressing or unfortunate incident or event <misfortunes never come singly>
Yes, until the best of the free throw shooters can make every one, it is still a matter of luck and not completely free to anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom