Va Tech Game Courtside | Syracusefan.com

Va Tech Game Courtside

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
Last night my husband and myself had the honor to sit court side courtesy of CTO. Thank you, thank you! What a night! It was an unusually late game and I worried that no one was going to show up with the back court and stands virtually empty till tipoff. I assume there's a game being played to see how close people can time their arrival with tipoff. Hats off to those who did come, they got their money's worth watching this bizarre game.

Va Tech is a quick team. Seth Allen is a talented, quick guard who I first noticed in our game on a road trip to Maryland 2 years ago. He's also emotional and broods which plays into opponent's hands. That Blackshear kid who I wonder is injured or perhaps just possesses a very weird habit, plays on his tip toes acting as if it's painful for his heels to even hit the court. He had a good game in the paint in the 2nd half. VT is chippy and plays physical m2m defense using every part of their body to wear down opponents. Hip checks, riding opponents, active knee thrusts, and darting hands makes them really foul prone though. Buzz has to use lots of his bench to play this "they can't call them all" , we're small, quick and irritating full court pressure defense to wear down teams.

Watching close it's amazing how physical the game is. These kids must ache after games, VT's hard and high hedges would be considered clipping in football. That said, we couldn't hit the broadside of a barn till late in the game and again struggled from the free throw line making this game much closer than it should have been. Cooney was definitely horrific shooting the ball, Mal and MG had issues penetrating and making the pick n roll effective. Was hoping that Frank's ball handling would loosen up the offense to give us a few easy baskets but we continually came up short seeming to always fall 3 to 6 points behind. The most impressive factor was that SU never let their frustration effect their psyche so they kept battling and our "stars" all made key plays down the stretch.

We have no true point guard nor any post up threat and these grind it out games really highlight what we're missing. I miss the days of alley oops on back screens to our big men for dunks. These shorter aggressive over playing defensive teams should be fodder but we seem to be missing key elements to pull it off.

Court side at the exciting end of regulation, 6 men sitting to the right of us - all left! Unbelievable! It was so strange, they never were into the game. Sad. Their loss.
That said, what a comeback and ending!! Extremely loud crowd the last 8 minutes or so. I've seen more talented, balanced SU teams give up - this team doesn't - they compete and battle. Fun despite their frustrating short comings watching these kids battle though - no head hanging for this SU crew. They really reflect JB's relentless competitiveness and endure somehow.

Funny thing that happened. 2 brothers and a sister sat next to me on the left. One of the guys became so excited at the end of regulation that he dropped his cellphone and it went under the court totally out of reach. I told a security guy who brought over dome officials after the game. The brothers were very thankful because they were so excited over the win, they were going to leave it, saying the win was worth a new cellphone ( those are true fans or maybe a little crazy - lol). I left as the dome guy was calling maintenance to remove the section and get the cellphone. Kudos to the heroic cell phone Dome crew. It ended up a very good night. Thank you again Joyce for all these memories and making our upcoming 44th anniversary (love that number) special!!! Sorry this is so lengthy. :blah:

Last night my husband and myself had the honor to sit court side courtesy of CTO. Thank you, thank you! What a night! It was an unusually late game and I worried that no one was going to show up with the back court and stands virtually empty till tipoff. I assume there's a game being played to see how close people can time their arrival with tipoff. Hats off to those who did come, they got their money's worth watching this bizarre game.

Va Tech is a quick team. Seth Allen is a talented, quick guard who I first noticed in our game on a road trip to Maryland 2 years ago. He's also emotional and broods which plays into opponent's hands. That Blackshear kid who I wonder is injured or perhaps just possesses a very weird habit, plays on his tip toes acting as if it's painful for his heels to even hit the court. He had a good game in the paint in the 2nd half. VT is chippy and plays physical m2m defense using every part of their body to wear down opponents. Hip checks, riding opponents, active knee thrusts, and darting hands makes them really foul prone though. Buzz has to use lots of his bench to play this "they can't call them all" , we're small, quick and irritating full court pressure defense to wear down teams.

Watching close it's amazing how physical the game is. These kids must ache after games, VT's hard and high hedges would be considered clipping in football. That said, we couldn't hit the broadside of a barn till late in the game and again struggled from the free throw line making this game much closer than it should have been. Cooney was definitely horrific shooting the ball, Mal and MG had issues penetrating and making the pick n roll effective. Was hoping that Frank's ball handling would loosen up the offense to give us a few easy baskets but we continually came up short seeming to always fall 3 to 6 points behind. The most impressive factor was that SU never let their frustration effect their psyche so they kept battling and our "stars" all made key plays down the stretch.

We have no true point guard nor any post up threat and these grind it out games really highlight what we're missing. I miss the days of alley oops on back screens to our big men for dunks. These shorter aggressive over playing defensive teams should be fodder but we seem to be missing key elements to pull it off.

Court side at the exciting end of regulation, 6 men sitting to the right of us - all left! Unbelievable! It was so strange, they never were into the game. Sad. Their loss.
That said, what a comeback and ending!! Extremely loud crowd the last 8 minutes or so. I've seen more talented, balanced SU teams give up - this team doesn't - they compete and battle. Fun despite their frustrating short comings watching these kids battle though - no head hanging for this SU crew. They really reflect JB's relentless competitiveness and endure somehow.

Funny thing that happened. 2 brothers and a sister sat next to me on the left. One of the guys became so excited at the end of regulation that he dropped his cellphone and it went under the court totally out of reach. I told a security guy who brought over dome officials after the game. The brothers were very thankful because they were so excited over the win, they were going to leave it, saying the win was worth a new cellphone ( those are true fans or maybe a little crazy - lol). I left as the dome guy was calling maintenance to remove the section and get the cellphone. Kudos to the heroic cell phone Dome crew. It ended up a very good night. Thank you again Joyce for all these memories and making our upcoming 44th anniversary (love that number) special!!! Sorry this is so lengthy. :blah:

Awesome post! Not too long at all. Very good.

Nice report Cherie.

Agree that V Tech plays a really physical and ugly style of play.

It is good the Syracuse players will have some time to heal from the beating they took from the Hokies.

RE: "Va Tech is a quick team."

I thought VT played really well on defense against us. I think out guys just willed themselves to win. It would have been so much fun to be in the Dome for this game...uh...the end of the game!

RE: "Va Tech is a quick team."

I thought VT played really well on defense against us. I think out guys just willed themselves to win. It would have been so much fun to be in the Dome for this game...uh...the end of the game!

Our chances were greatly aided by VT missing two point blank shots at the rim in the final two minutes, enabling us to climb all the way back. Those misses were HUGE.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! As soon as I saw the title of the thread and that it was by Cheriehoop, I settled in for sheer enjoyment. You did not let me down! The five people leaving at the END of regulation?? And they have courtside seats? Who are these people? Aliens who are trying to understand the earth experience, but FAIL utterly? I'm a therapist, I should be able to concoct some kind of coherent explanation of the psyche that could explain this, but it's like trying to understand why a spider would spin and spin its web, wait eagerly for its victim, and then fail to eat it.

Feh! That's a terrible metaphor. I invite others to do better.

I can only imagine the damage that these games do to our players, and seeing it close up and personal must really drive that home. You see them with ice bags on various body parts after the game, and you know they're not doing that to look cool. As it were.

I loved the story of the guy with the cell phone! It's a good thing you were there. So funny! Thanks for the entertainment and inside scoop.

Happy 44th anniversary, Cherie and Jim. I actually thought your anniversary was last night...as I told everyone in the chat room.

It's actually Friday (who gets married in the dead of winter during a blizzard in 1972 but crazy SU fans?) but last night we could celebrate in style thanks to you! By the way I was a child bride promised at birth in case anyone was wondering.

I loved the story of the guy with the cell phone! It's a good thing you were there. So funny! Thanks for the entertainment and inside scoop.

The guy dropped his cellphone and accidentally kicked it under the court as he went to pick it up. Funny as long as it wasn't me. Didn't think he should have to get a new cellphone (how rich was he?) for being a good fan and was happy that the dome crew was so helpful. These guys were from Rochester sitting in the Wilmorite seats They promised me that they would be coming on their own to games, they had such a good time. The guys to my right - heads in their phones, no orange on any of them. It was funny when the little girl (around 10 years old) sitting on the other side of those 6 guys next to the announcer, yelled to me "why are they leaving, tell them the game isn't over, just tied".

Wilson, #11 on Va Tech who was guarding Mike G kept complaining to the refs that he was pushing off. Wicked thought I had - I wished I had brought a soccer ball to hold with a face painted showing it crying.

Great report. I can't believe that VaTech team has given up over 90 pts 3 times this season. It felt like we were playing against Louisville's defense for stretches last night. I hate the clutch and grab style but it's on the refs to call it.

Buzz also had a great plan for attacking the zone and his kids executed. Got the ball into the middle for dump downs and kick outs for open threes. They missed shots that good teams make. I think our fatigue played a role, but Buzz is going to continue to be a problem as he gets better players in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom