Va Tech Trainwreck Discussion | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Va Tech Trainwreck Discussion

right? what happened? lost the fire? those first few years we lost a bunch, but had an exciting product at least.
I get that, I know the 90s aren't coming back anymore.

But I was more responding to it taking 4 years to implement a new system. It doesn't. With instant transfers you can compete.

I accept that we're not going to be in ACC Championship games. But I don't accept that we're a program that's relegated to 500 yard to 150 yard mismatches in all our ACC games.
Yea , this was as bad a performance as I have watched, Somewhere this staff has lost it completely. I have seen some 4-8 teams a lot better then this one. I’m left with a empty , sad and hopeless feeling. Maybe I’ll regain my enthusiasm in a few weeks or months, probably around July . With our new head coach ——- who led Alfred to a 37-36 record the last 6 years.

Last edited:
Yea , this was as bad a performance as I have watched, Somewhere this staff has lost it completely. I have seen some 4-8 teams a lot better then this one.

It's rock bottom right now. Tonight was as bad as it gets. This program is capable of better results than that, and I'm certain Wildhack thinks the same.

We just can't let a night like tonight make us believe that it's the new normal.

I’m sure this was talked about in the game thread, but why on Earth did Dino hand the ball off at the end of the first half instead of heaving it to the end zone? What was the point of calling the timeouts. Nothing we do makes sense.

I’m sure this was talked about in the game thread, but why on Earth did Dino hand the ball off at the end of the first half instead of heaving it to the end zone? What was the point of calling the timeouts. Nothing we do makes sense.
Because our QB can’t throw it that far?

I get that, I know the 90s aren't coming back anymore.

But I was more responding to it taking 4 years to implement a new system. It doesn't. With instant transfers you can compete.

I accept that we're not going to be in ACC Championship games. But I don't accept that we're a program that's relegated to 500 yard to 150 yard mismatches in all our ACC games.
Ok yep, misread that. Agree We can shoot for realistically, being competitive with the other middling teams like us, that’s the ceiling

The thing that gets me is that I was really impressed with the additions this off season and also the coaching hires. Yet again, he seriously miss calculated the talent at o line. I don’t understand how we did not raid the portal for more guys on the front.

Last edited:
The thing that gets me is that I was really impressed with the additions this off season and also the coaching hires. Yet again tho he seriously Mia calculated the talent at o line. I don’t understand how we did not raid the portal for more guys on the front.
It's possible the Wohlabaugh injury was way more critical than we realized at the time.

I think it’s related, when you have 0 confidence in your O line you start moving out of the pocket too soon , that makes things worse .
Yup. Start getting happy feet, seeing ghosts, moving out too early or when you don’t have to. GS has been bad so not making any excuses, but when the OL play is THAT bad, it’s hard to play quarterback at even a functional level.

I think it’s related, when you have 0 confidence in your O line you start moving out of the pocket too soon , that makes things worse .
I’m not saying he’s Peyton manning, but we’ve seen what he can do when he has decent peices around him. The entire game it’s either penalties or running for his life. You can’t judge a qb with those factors.

It's rock bottom right now. Tonight was as bad as it gets. This program is capable of better results than that, and I'm certain Wildhack thinks the same.

We just can't let a night like tonight make us believe that it's the new normal.
There are 1-AA programs that produce more NFL talent than us. I do not believe we would be a favorite against South Dakota State.

As a coach at a school without as many resources as some competition, a head coach needs to be able to find hidden talent, develop it, and then build a culture of winning.

I believe one of the key deficiencies of the Babers era is the lack of development of players. Look at the offensive and defensive lines. Look at the WR position. Look at the QB position. They're all meh. And we can keep saying we are getting transfers, recruits, etc., but it doesn't seem to matter much.

Outside of Eric Dungey willing this team to win one season, the program has been below average. It is sad.

So what are the benefits of having Dino still be HC come Monday? I cannot think of a single one at this point. I can think of plenty of benefits to firing him tomorrow. If he is not the long term answer, the sooner you move on the better it is for the program.

That’s par for the course for Dino in game decision making.

If he actually did heave it I would have scratched my head. Because it would have actually made sense. :confused:

So what are the benefits of having Dino still be HC come Monday? I cannot think of a single one at this point. I can think of plenty of benefits to firing him tomorrow. If he is not the long term answer, the sooner you move on the better it is for the program.
“He’s a great spokesman for our program the media love him” - Some Dino defender somewhere. I said it 2 weeks ago and I’ll say it again, I just want to win football games. Give me the football version of a prime Jim Boeheim who blasts the media and everyone else as often as he wants, as long as he wins I couldn’t care less. I’m tired of losing.

I’ve obviously been on the fire Dino train for a while. Nice guy sure, little weird in person for sure. Full of himself, absolutely. But he might be one of the worst coaches I have ever seen. Somehow he does something every game that is mind boggling. Why did he call the timeouts at end of the half and not do full punt block? And then you put your star RB back there to take the punt ?! There is no more defending one thing this guy does well. Not one. You can like the guy all you want but there’s a lot of other nice losers out there too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom