Va Tech Trainwreck Discussion | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Va Tech Trainwreck Discussion

I think the original deal was 4 or 5 years, 2016-2019 or 2020, and they gave him an extension to 2024. Everybody on this board was demanding and clamoring for it, there were rumors USC was courting him. It was a good move at the time. But unless he pulls a miracle and can get to 7-8 regular season wins, his time here is over. I feel we don’t win another game this season. The program has completely cratered.

It would be a bad move to give Saban that many years. There was no need for it. They could have given him 2 extra years and a lot more money. There was zero reason to have him under contract 6 years which is a lifetime in coaching.

I’m a newbie when it comes to analyzing this aspect of it. Can someone explain why people argue that we can’t compete financially.

I was looking at the undergrade enrollment and the last I looked it was approximately 15,000 with tuition being around 57K a year. Just looking at NC state, they have an undergraduate enrollment of around 34k with tuition being 9k in state. These are not definitive numbers. Just looking on the fly.

So Cuse is seemingly making more of tuition. Does sports not get income from tuition? Does it boil down more to donors?

This is random and not really relevant to anything, but for Dino's first 5-6 years I feel like Sean Edinger would always be like 3 feet away from Dino shadowing him on the sideline like Smee next to Captain Hook. But I noticed last night that now Edinger is nowhere near Dino. I'm not insinuating anything, I just wonder why that is.

This is random and not really relevant to anything, but for Dino's first 5-6 years I feel like Sean Edinger would always be like 3 feet away from Dino shadowing him on the sideline like Smee next to Captain Hook. But I noticed last night that now Edinger is nowhere near Dino. I'm not insinuating anything, I just wonder why that is.
He was threatened with the Boo box

Maybe it coincided with him not wearing the kilt anymore. Or am I thinking of another sideline guy?

I’m a newbie when it comes to analyzing this aspect of it. Can someone explain why people argue that we can’t compete financially.

I was looking at the undergrade enrollment and the last I looked it was approximately 15,000 with tuition being around 57K a year. Just looking at NC state, they have an undergraduate enrollment of around 34k with tuition being 9k in state. These are not definitive numbers. Just looking on the fly.

So Cuse is seemingly making more of tuition. Does sports not get income from tuition? Does it boil down more to donors?
State schools typically get money from their state.

It would be a bad move to give Saban that many years. There was no need for it. They could have given him 2 extra years and a lot more money. There was zero reason to have him under contract 6 years which is a lifetime in coaching.
This is 20/20 hindsight and kind of silly. Coaches get longer deals frequently.

This is 20/20 hindsight and kind of silly. Coaches get longer deals frequently.

Not hindsight. I don't think any HC is worth committing too that long. NINE years? I have stated the same when other programs have done similar. The Michigan State extension was idiotic at the time and even worse now. There is nothing to gain from it for a school. You can extend every 2-3 years. That is what every program should do. I rather see a HC walk than have no way out.

Just saw my Hokie neighbor unpacking from his trip to Blacksburg. He’s a good guy. But even still, I put my head down, kept driving and hoped I didn’t run anyone over.

I can’t believe I attended that game. Off the plane almost home gonna take down a bottle of whiskey and nitrous tank tonight to regroup.

• Haha
Reactions: FAL
they say football is a game of inches...we're getting beat by the parsecs.

OIP.gkK3DL8kwvDURe0vT-OieQHaEV.jpeg

Played in 2016.

4-8

Lost to Louisville 62-28
Lost to USF 45-20
Lost to Notre Dame 50-33
Lost to Wake 28-9
Lost to Clemson 54-0 (AFTER A BYE WEEK)
Lost to NC State 35-20
Lost to FSU 45-14
And he was part of the 137 point extravaganza at Pitt.

He's an expert on "unacceptable".

It isn't so much the defense, but yet they have their faults, especially tackling. But it IS the Offense, mainly Schrader. He is a one trick pony. He is a runner, but the defenses has that figured out on him so he tries his luck at passing, and he sucks at that. He throws the worst passes we have had here in the past 10 years. And then he locks in on only one reciever. And add gas to the fire, the O-line couldn't hold back the CBA HS D-line. Yes it is time to replace Mr. Babers

Still not sure how we became completely inept the last 5 years on O. Dino's 1st two years the D was the main issue. Now look at us.

vs ACC teams total O
2016 9th
2017 3rd
2018 2nd
2019 9th
2020 15th (last)
2021 13th
2022 8th
2023 14th (last) going into today!!!!
Look no further than the recruiting. Just not good enough. Dino has recruited Jack sh.t on offense. Our best offenses featured Shafer recruits.

Who knew recruiting 280 lb tackles from Germany wouldn’t be a recipe for success?
I no longer want to be chastised for pointing out my concern over a recruits lack of P5 offers.
We do not diamonds in the rough. We get dirt in the rough.

NO. defense is still a major issue ! we ain't stopping nobody. 500 + yards a game ?
The point probably was the defense can’t hold up with so many 3 and outs by the offense and if you can’t score more than 10 points it will be very hard to win.

The point probably was the defense can’t hold up with so many 3 and outs by the offense.
point problem is the defense can't get off the field on 3rd and anything.
tech punted once in the 1st half. (34 secs left)

Last edited:
OK, but even if you say that, we have had 10 win seasons with guys like Todd Philcox, R.J. Anderson, Marvin Graves and Don McPhearson, none of whom had a sniff in the pros.

Team performance shouldn't depend so heavily on just one guy.
Pretty sure Philcox and McPherson were drafted. If Philcox wasn't, he was in the NFL as a free agent. That's considered QB legend by our standards
RJ Anderson was a very good game manager his senior year. Something Shrader is not. Graves is in the college football hall of Fame.
Those were all QBs we'd be killing for the last 20 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom