VCU out due to covid | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

VCU out due to covid

I think somebody had posted earlier this week that the odds that one game would be cancelled this tournament were -140 or +140. Whatever it was, -140 or +140, it was good value for a really crappy outcome that nobody wanted. To me this almost seemed inevitable.
hopefully as the tournament progresses and less teams in the bubble they get thru clean

You Hold out the positive individuals and play on. How many times does this have to be said. Just cost these kids a chance at a National Championship.

And then possibly infect the Oregon kids with kids from VCU who have yet to test positive but soon will... and the winner of that game infects the next team it plays... or that game has to get delayed.
The right thing to do was to eliminate the one team to avoid a spread. And this was not just for health reasons, but to keep the competition somewhat relevant overall. Only choice they had now that they started -- let's hope this stays isolated to only VCU.

Actually they had a much better choice but were too greedy to do it. They should have quarantined all the kids for at least 7 days in Indiana, and either cancelled conference tournaments or had them one week earlier. That is how you properly establish a bubble like the NHL and NBA did.

What’s amazing is the NCAA wrestling championships have had 0 positive cases since the start of their tournament! The only scare they had was refs. Six referees went out to dinner which was against the protocol. One tested positive so all 6 were disqualified!

What’s amazing is the NCAA wrestling championships have had 0 positive cases since the start of their tournament! The only scare they had was refs. Six referees went out to dinner which was against the protocol. One tested positive so all 6 were disqualified!

That was the basketball refs, unless the exact same scenario happened to both basketball and wrestling refs.

I thought if a school joins the bubble and someone tests positive the team was disqualified. Then a team from that conference would replace them except if it was from the power five!

That was the basketball refs, unless the exact same scenario happened to both basketball and wrestling refs.

Some would argue that basketball refs are essentially the same as professional wrestling refs.

Should have had a team or 2 on standby for the 1st round. After 1st round you are in the quasi bubble so you can cross your fingers after that.

I thought if a school joins the bubble and someone tests positive the team was disqualified. Then a team from that conference would replace them except if it was from the power five!

Had to happen before midnight Tuesday. Once Tuesday came the field was locked. Would have been smart to extend that period right up to when teams played their first game, but the NCAA didn't too much smart in setting this up.

Should have had a team or 2 on standby for the 1st round. After 1st round you are in the quasi bubble so you can cross your fingers after that.

They had them on Standby until Tuesday. Why Louisville wasn't on standby until noon today is really confusing. But as I said above, very NCAA.

Really they could have had the game cancelled today, and had Oregon ready to play Louisville tomorrow. Then that winner could have played their game on Tuesday evening. But nope - NCAA knows their stuff.

They had them on Standby until Tuesday. Why Louisville wasn't on standby until noon today is really confusing. But as I said above, very NCAA.

they made it 6pm Tuesday evening to be fair to the opponent on who to prepare for.

they made it 6pm Tuesday evening to be fair to the opponent on who to prepare for.

You have them play Louisville tomorrow instead of today - gives them a full day to prepare for a new opponent. No different than the time teams get between round 1 and round 2.

It's not like Louisville would have had much time to prepare either. So its even steven. Makes more sense then giving somebody a bye.

As I said NCAA screws it up again.

You have them play Louisville tomorrow instead of today - gives them a full day to prepare for a new opponent. No different than the time teams get between round 1 and round 2.

It's not like Louisville would have had much time to prepare either. So its even steven. Makes more sense then giving somebody a bye.

As I said NCAA screws it up again.
Hindsight 20/20, they probably should have had Lville and one other team that opted out of the NIT in Indianapolis as backup teams if something like this happened. But the problem with that is if a 13-16 seed tested positive with Covid then they would be replaced by a better team, which would be unfair to a 1-4 seed.

I think somebody had posted earlier this week that the odds that one game would be cancelled this tournament were -140 or +140. Whatever it was, -140 or +140, it was good value for a really crappy outcome that nobody wanted. To me this almost seemed inevitable.
It's kind of ghoulish that people are allowed to wager on kids getting sick.

that would make sense , i though most infections show in 4 to 5 days so maybe the ref got a new variant?
It can take 14 days, and I just know someone who tested positive on day 14 after negative tests. You are not correct about the 4-5 days.

I don't know which ref it is, but Jay Bilas said one of the refs is not in very good condition and is having a very difficult time with COVID. He tweeted that yesterday. Have to figure one of them is in the hospital.

Hindsight 20/20, they probably should have had Lville and one other team that opted out of the NIT in Indianapolis as backup teams if something like this happened. But the problem with that is if a 13-16 seed tested positive with Covid then they would be replaced by a better team, which would be unfair to a 1-4 seed.

It's not hindsight is 20/20 for me anyway - I made all the same comments last week about the conference tournaments and the Tuesday deadline and this so-called half assed bubble. In January when they announced this "bubble", I said that conference tournaments were going to cause problems if there was no delay.

Regarding the 13-16 point. I do agree with you that could be unfair. I would have been fine with those preferred seeds getting an outright bye. That being said, the NCAA was comfortable with giving them a better opponent if a team tested before Tuesday.

Last edited:
It's kind of ghoulish that people are allowed to wager on kids getting sick.
Well, technically they wagered on a game being forfeited, which may or may not have happened on kids getting sick.

It can take 14 days, and I just know someone who tested positive on day 14 after negative tests. You are not correct about the 4-5 days.
cdc says avg time between exposure and testing positive is around 5 or 6 days though

Ironic that it was a team Lville should have gotten a bid over to begin with. A10 wasnt good.

You Hold out the positive individuals and play on. How many times does this have to be said. Just cost these kids a chance at a National Championship.

I’m sure you’d feel differently if you were the team that had to face them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom