Veteran's Roll Call: All Veteran's or those who have a Veteran relative, sound off! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Veteran's Roll Call: All Veteran's or those who have a Veteran relative, sound off!

Army, 20Apr70 to 10Jan72. Vietnam with the 25th infantry division northwest of Saigon for 7 months then redeployed to the Americal division in the north for the remainder of my tour. Was given an early out for seasonal employment- snow plowing. And let me add that being in the service had a very positive effect on the path my life took.

Last edited:
Me, my Dad, and his two brothers - Navy. I was a cryptologist.

On my Mom's side - 3 brothers in the Army, one was a POW captured in Italy; and one in the Coast Guard.

Addendum (lest I forget) - two aunts built P-47 Thunderbolts at Republic Aircraft.

Last edited:
Mom’s dad Army, coast artillery in Watsonville CA during WWII. Dad’s dad Navy, AA gun instructor at USNA during WWII.

There are others, but the craziest is my mom’s mom’s dad. His wife died after giving birth to my grandma in Utica, and he left to fight in WWI shortly thereafter. Except we weren’t in the war yet, so he went to Canada to enroll and go over to fight. Left my grandma with his brother, who raised her. He didn’t claim her when he returned. We learned this after she died, digging through her papers. I found her real mom and dad’s wedding certificate under contact paper in a dresser in her guest room.

Dad - Army/Air Corp WWII, Navigator on B-24 stationed in Italy, bombed Germany.
Brother-Graduated USAF Academy and served four years after graduation.
Me- US Army 66-68, Indian Head in South Korea on DMZ, just as bad then as now.
Uncle - US Army WWII, fought in Pacific theater.

Last edited:
Nice... hometown of Doug Flutie

Amazing how whole families stepped up back then.
Brothers' service celebrated in Natick
George-W-Bush.jpg

I suggest that anyone going to the game in Liberty take a short side trip to Bedford, VA. and visit the National D-Day Memorial.

The National D-Day Memorial is located in Bedford, Virginia — the community suffering the highest per capita D-Day losses in the nation.

Nice... hometown of Doug Flutie

Amazing how whole families stepped up back then.
Brothers' service celebrated in Natick
Yes and Doug was an easy guy to run into in Natick for many years.

Thanks for finding that, my grandfather Sebastian really embodied what being a proud American is all about. What isn’t mentioned was that he and most of the brothers were born in Italy and came over very early in their lives.

Bona fide Army Brat and proud. Better yet, it was my mom... I remember rocking her fatigues and surplus gear, hawking leftover MRE's and roaming through the abandoned sections of Ft. Bliss with my bros. I remember telling kids on the block "don't mess with my mom, she's a mean b!#&@ with an M-16"

Bona fide Army Brat and proud. Better yet, it was my mom... I remember rocking her fatigues and surplus gear, hawking leftover MRE's and roaming through the abandoned sections of Ft. Bliss with my bros. I remember telling kids on the block "don't mess with my mom, she's a mean b!#&@ with an M-16"

People thank us Veterans for our service. I thank the spouses and children who supported us, too. No glamour, no glory, but always waiting for us, always there.

Thank you for supporting you mother and thanks to your mother for her service to us.

USMC Aug 1993 - Apr 2000. Happy Borthday to my fellow Marines!

We know you are sniper, 36 kills (posts) in two years. Quiet, picking your shots (posts), and as a Marine, always on the mark. Not like us Air Force types that call in our buddy TexanMark to obliterate everything (Can you say AC130 Specter a.k.a. Puff the Magic Dragon!).

George-W-Bush.jpg

I suggest that anyone going to the game in Liberty take a short side trip to Bedford, VA. and visit the National D-Day Memorial.

The National D-Day Memorial is located in Bedford, Virginia — the community suffering the highest per capita D-Day losses in the nation.

Almost every Frenchman in Normandy knows the story of the men from Bedford, VA and their sacrifice.

Almost every Frenchman in Normandy knows the story of the men from Bedford, VA and their sacrifice.
Anyone who tells you the French aren't (ed. let me repeat that aren't proofreader syndrome made me miss what I typed) appreciative doesn't know what they're talking about. I went to the museum in Arromanches (the site of the British Mulberry harbor) and there was a whole busload of 4th-5th graders in there being told about what happened. I went to the US cemetery, and the French Air Force Academy cadets were there for a ceremony along with a lot of people who were obviously not Americans.

Last edited: