Villanova game moved to Friday Aug 29 ?? | Syracusefan.com

Villanova game moved to Friday Aug 29 ??

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Brent Axe ‏@BrentAxeMedia 2m
Villanova is saying the SU-Villanova game at the Carrier Dome has been moved to Friday, August 29. http://ow.ly/v8g1U

Brent Axe ‏@BrentAxeMedia 2m
.@Cuse schedule (as of this minute) still lists the game as Saturday, Aug 30. http://ow.ly/v8gdB

Brent Axe ‏@BrentAxeMedia 10s
This will now be the second Friday game on the SU Football schedule. Also playing Louisville on Friday, Oct 3.

Brent Axe ‏@BrentAxeMedia 1m
Wonder what the reasoning will be for moving the Villanova game to a Fri. But it's always tricky that time of year with Fair, Labor Day.

I appreciate that they are doing this early, but I hope that there are at least 1 or two early or mid afternoon Saturday games (3pm is perfect) on the schedule when all is said and done. Those are by far and away the easiest for me to drive up for.

You have to be shitting me... I land in Rochester at 2:30 Friday...

That's terrible!! I don't understand why they're changing it to Friday. Are they trying to attract less fans to the season opener?

Wheels down at 2:30...
ETA at the Fine Mess Tailgate at 4:30...
Kickoff probably 7:00 or 7:30...

Don't you love it when a plan comes together. :)

I could still make it, but I was planning on surprising my mom Friday night, and surprising my dad Saturday morning when his buddy takes a detour to pick me up on their way to the game.

I'll make it work. Just might have to throw away the surprise factor of the trip. I prolly would have spilled the beans anyway.

Well, I guess it opens me up for a beautiful Saturday on the lake!

Just when I think Syracuse cant possibly screw up scheduling anymore BOOM. Why in the world would they move this game to Friday before labor day weekend?
Thats one of the busiest travel days of the year, not to mention an extremely well attended Fair day. UGH cant wait to hear this explanation.

Love it - gives me Sat, Sun and Mon to enjoy the last weekend of summer. I suppose those who were planning to see Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes at Chevy Court will be upset.

Just when I think Syracuse cant possibly screw up scheduling anymore BOOM. Why in the world would they move this game to Friday before labor day weekend?
Thats one of the busiest travel days of the year, not to mention an extremely well attended Fair day. UGH cant wait to hear this explanation.

Wouldn't the Saturday of Labor Day weekend be an even better attended day at the fair?

friday is not a busy day compared to the sat-mon of labor day. there will be a better attendance in the dome for a friday night game by far.

Checked the Fair schedule- no Grandstand concert on the 29th as of now, but maybe SU was afraid of going head to head with Jason Aldean on the 30th

We last played a Labor Day Friday game in the Dome in 2007 against Washington.

Announced attendance was 40,300.

I think it's a good idea. Not going to get fans in the door for this one anyway. You'll get the normal 25 - 30k whether you have it on Friday or Saturday.

Assuming it will somehow be televised locally, you have a better chance of local TV ratings on Friday night than you do on Saturday afternoon.

For a game like this and for a program like ours at this particular point, it's probably more important to get locals to watch on TV than it is to get them in the Dome. Try to build momentum with what should be an easy win, and showcase some of the new offensive talent.

We last played a Labor Day Friday game in the Dome in 2007 against Washington.

Announced attendance was 40,300.

Top 25 team with an All American QB (for Washington) and ESPN. I know what your saying but the opponents could be any more different if we tried.

friday is not a busy day compared to the sat-mon of labor day. there will be a better attendance in the dome for a friday night game by far.

If it were not labor day weekend I might agree with you but when you comebine the opponent and labor day weekend I just dont see it. A lot of people are traveling for that reason either into or out of town (most out) so playing it Fri or Sun isnt going to increase attendance if it were Saturday. A Saturday afternoon or night game has the chance to really maximize attendance. Really a Sat night say 7 or 8 pm kick is the optimal time, you catch that early fair crowd (lot of families) as well as a lot of male fans who are pretty much burned out from the fair at that point and ready to watch some football. Friday night your now counting on people getting out of work at 5pm (if there in town) to make a rush home and then fly up to the dome for a game against Nova that will have next to zero buzz. We will be lucky to have 30k there.

this is the worst. absolutely unreal. Opening night on a Friday... what are we a high school team?

It's opening weekend of college football, though. They go all out- Even if this is for an ESPN3 slot.

I wold really like to hope we didnt move a Sat afternoon game (one of the few we get that doesnt start at freeking 12:30) for an ESPN 3 slot. If you want to tell me ESPN 2 or maybe even ESPNU then OK but for ESPN 3, thats idiotic.

Top 25 team with an All American QB (for Washington) and ESPN. I know what your saying but the opponents could be any more different if we tried.

That's not entirely accurate, but certainly a much more attractive opponent by name. Washington's program had fallen off the cliff. Couple 1 win, 2 win seasons in the depth of hell with us. They were coming off of 3 straight losing seasons and weren't even sniffing the rankings. They were going to start redshirt freshman QB getting his first ever playing time (albeit a highly recruited QB).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom