Virginia Travel Advice for Upstate NY'ers | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Travel Advice for Upstate NY'ers

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
With the kickoff at 3:30pm

It is conducive to leave a couple hours early on Friday and drive South. Charlottesville is pretty expensive. I suggest looking anywhere from Chambersburg, PA and South for Friday night. Saturday night you could stay at the same motel as Friday night or a different place.

If you are a registered Choice Hotels Member...you could even earn a free night (to be used later) if you stay at two different qualifying Choice Hotel properties this weekend and register for their promotion.

Note: Read the fine print...doesn' work for stays at Econolodge, Roadway, Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, or MainStay Suites hotels.

https://www.choicehotels.com/deals/free-night

Anyone that plans on staying in the Chambersburg, PA let me know I'm 10 minutes away! Not much to do in the town, but I can give you the "highlights". Will be making the drive to Charlottesville for the game!

I have stayed several times in Harrisonburg, VA just off I-81. It's about 1.5 hrs to UVA from here. A nice little town (ODU).

I have stayed several times in Harrisonburg, VA just off I-81. It's about 1.5 hrs to UVA from here. A nice little town (ODU).
James Madison Univ is there...and the good news is the team is away that weekend.

James Madison Univ is there...and the good news is the team is away that weekend.

A very nice downtown with several cool bars and restaurants. Yes, JMU not ODU (my bad). You can also get Cheerwine :)

I'm at the Country Inn Suites Fredericksburg, Cheap and clean 90 minutes away Im told.

also, don't get caught speeding over 80 (or 20 MPH over speed limit). reckless driving charge, which is a misdemeanor.
^^^^This^^^^ Big time.

If you're going the I-81 south to I-64 east route, it's about a half hour from their intersection to the parking area when there's no traffic. The Exit from I-64 to the U Hall/JPJ parking area is Exit 118B. That puts you on the 29-250 bypass. Follow the bypass to the exit for either 250 East or Leonard Sandridge Road (which might be less crowded). U Hall/JPJ is a left off 250 by the banks and Sandridge will take you right to it.

also, don't get caught speeding over 80 (or 20 MPH over speed limit). reckless driving charge, which is a misdemeanor.

Especially with your radar detector sitting out on the dashboard.

Anyone that plans on staying in the Chambersburg, PA let me know I'm 10 minutes away! Not much to do in the town, but I can give you the "highlights". Will be making the drive to Charlottesville for the game!

Has it recovered since that dastardly Jubal Early burned it down in 1864?

^^^^This^^^^ Big time.

If you're going the I-81 south to I-64 east route, it's about a half hour from their intersection to the parking area when there's no traffic. The Exit from I-64 to the U Hall/JPJ parking area is Exit 118B. That puts you on the 29-250 bypass. Follow the bypass to the exit for either 250 East or Leonard Sandridge Road (which might be less crowded). U Hall/JPJ is a left off 250 by the banks and Sandridge will take you right to it.

what's best approach if you are traveling from the east and going to one of the garages (Emmett)?

what's best approach if you are traveling from the east and going to one of the garages (Emmett)?
I'd still go do the 118B/bypass/250 east route and then go past the turn-off for U Hall to the Emmett Garage (on the left). Trying to cut across town from where Exit 120 drops you can be light years beyond a PITA. There are lights that can take a couple of changes to get through and it can take forever to get past the restaurants, etc., on The Corner because of all the crosswalks. Or, there can be no one on the road. To quote Clint Eastwood, "Do you feel lucky?"

Has it recovered since that dastardly Jubal Early burned it down in 1864?
A bit, they just a big to do last year to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the burning!

And to meld this with another board thread - the Chick Fil-As are in the Observatory Hill Dining Hall, the Fashion Square Mall, and 29 North near Lowe's.
First thing I did when I moved to Richmond two years ago was get Chick Fil A and Cheerwine. Stopped at a gas station for a bottle of Cheerwine and then went through the Chick Fil A drive-thru for a spicy chicken sandwich and chicken nuggets. This was lunch the day I moved in. I went back for the same thing at dinner... and lunch the next day.

First thing I did when I moved to Richmond two years ago was get Chick Fil A and Cheerwine. Stopped at a gas station for a bottle of Cheerwine and then went through the Chick Fil A drive-thru for a spicy chicken sandwich and chicken nuggets. This was lunch the day I moved in. I went back for the same thing at dinner... and lunch the next day.
If you live in Richmond...and want to ride over together...send me a PM. I'll be driving through Richmond.

The "highlights"

61XvSPJIB6L._SY355_.jpg

If you live in Richmond...and want to ride over together...send me a PM. I'll be driving through Richmond.
Thanks for the offer. A buddy and I are riding over likely a lot later than everyone else. Not planning on tailgating.

Thanks for the offer. A buddy and I are riding over likely a lot later than everyone else. Not planning on tailgating.
If you want me to look out for tix for you at the tailgate...send me your cell # via PM. I can get them for you

If you want me to look out for tix for you at the tailgate...send me your cell # via PM. I can get them for you
Thanks Mark, I ended up grabbing a couple off stub hub cheap.

Lower Sideline 111 | 2 tickets
Row J | Seats 5, 6