Visited by the College Basketball Devil | Syracusefan.com

Visited by the College Basketball Devil

Nicknack

All Conference
The CB Devil stopped by last night and offered me a few deals. Hopefully I did the right thing, guys/gals.

1. Over the next four games, either take a chance by letting it play out or take a guaranteed 2 wins.
I took the guaranteed 2 wins. While I think 3 wins is possible, I don't want to risk starting ACC play 1-4. That would really hurt. Being 2-2 is not ideal, but something we can work from and would also give us another high quality win on our resume (Pitt, Miami or UNC).

2. Games 5-8 (BC, WF, Duke and Virginia), either take a chance by letting it play out or take a guaranteed 2 wins.
I played it conservative and took the 2 wins again to guarantee a 4-4 start. Reason being is that I didn't want to take a chance by having to play out of a hole and I really like the following four games at home against ND, GT, VT and FSU and then one on the road against BC. We could be sitting at an 8-5 start after these games - I'd take that any day of the week looking at where the state of our team is right now.

3. Either take a chance by letting the regular conference season (ACC tournament not included) play out or take a guaranteed 10 wins right now.

I jumped at 10 wins and signed on the dotted line before the Devil changed his mind. That would give us a record of 20-11 going into the ACC tournament. That would also make us an NCAA tournament team most likely.

4. Either take an NIT post-season along with Richardson, Lydon and Coleman returning or let it all play out.
While making sure we are stocked and ready for next year, I can't deal with another year of filling out an NCAA bracket without us in it. I know, many here say we are probably an NIT team anyway and I don't necessarily disagree with that but... I just have to throw the dice on this one because we have a team this year that could pull a big upset or two in the tournament. Yeah, we could also lose in the first round as well, but you never know which is why I told the Devil to let it play out.

5. We only have to endure one Hulkster post a day for the next 10 years but we have to watch another UConn championship either this year or next OR let things be as they are.
This was so tempting but in the end, I couldn't do it - no more UConn pulling a championship out of their a$$. I chose to keep things as they are.

Edit: The Devil just came back for one more offer due to the inspiration provided by two3zone apparently.

Last edited:
I agree with you on 1-3, but disagree on 4. To me, anything we do this year is gravy. Next year is the year Syracuse returns to national prominence, and what is really important is that the team is ready to go next year.

Honestly the thing that worries me most is Richardson hurting himself. He needs to be less reckless this year, because I think he will be very good next year (and very needed).

NickNack, what a fun post, and I like your avatar, too! At first I thought you were visited by the Blue Devil. Now, that would have been a nightmare!

Now, here is my criticism. If you were going to sell your soul to the devil, you could have gone a little more ALL IN. Such conservative bargaining. I mean, we are talking about your soul, man! You can't just give it away for 10 wins in the ACC! Come on.

Many of us, including the General, feel that next year we will have great possibilities. I think you should have told the devil to scram, and come back next year. Then you could barter your soul for things like "no injuries, no scandals" etc. <sigh>

But wait! You know what? I will contact devil right now and let him know that I will be available for bargaining next year! In that way, my sacrifice will be piggy-backed upon your sacrifice and together we might help our team win another national championship!

And I'll meet you in hell. <glasses clinking>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom