Wake Forest is much improved this year | Syracusefan.com

Wake Forest is much improved this year

If anyone cares

Wake looks like they had a bunch of starters return. Lots of familiar names in their box score. And Clawson is very Pasqualoniesque: solid if unspectacular.

There really are no gimmes with how we are playing. We still have more of a shot vs Wake and BC than anyone else on our schedule.

Just keep getting better.

They are definitely better, the question is how much. Close wins at Duke and Indiana are a clear step forward for their program, but it doesn't make me fear playing down there or anything. The offense still needs work, and the QB picture remains unclear for them

What's this his 4th year?

Patience, gotta stay the course.

Wake looks like they had a bunch of starters return. Lots of familiar names in their box score. And Clawson is very Pasqualoniesque: solid if unspectacular.
Clawson built Richmond into an FCS power and took them to the championship game , they lost but came back the next after he left for BGU and won the Championship . He then built Bowling Green into a conference champion before Dino got there . He builds teams from nothing and now has Wake at 4-0 , with road wins at Duke and Indiana .

No gimmies with this team anyway. Win the shootout...
Still waiting for one. Our offense has yet to put up 30 points against an FBS team. I'm sure it'll come, but I think the shootouts we were hoping for this year may be delayed.

Still waiting for one. Our offense has yet to put up 30 points against an FBS team. I'm sure it'll come, but I think the shootouts we were hoping for this year may be delayed.

If the offense corrects a few mistakes each week, part of the rebuilding (overhaul) plan, we will see the high scoring offense. Right now, the running game has been held back. However, each of the teams we have played has specialized in run defense and/or concentrated on run D, knowing it the Orange running game is weak as it is played (recall last season, the running game was decent). Once the O line gets more settled they will start opening holes. As the passing game removes errors, teams will be forced to play the pass more heavily than they have to right now. Until the passing game is fully proven, teams will take away the running game (historically Syracuse' strength) and force Syracuse to win in the air.

Had Syracuse executed better on the passing game, the last three game final scores would be considerably different. Each week, the team improves, a little here, a little there. Unfortunately, this schedule is one of the best in the country so it will be a tough row to hoe. The performance of the D v. UConn to have three consecutive stops, the third of which was a long UConn drive ending in a goal line stand on four down football showed me the D is pulling together as a unit. The D line has played two of the best running QB's in CFB, Louisville and SFU, and then played against a very solid, experienced running QB at UConn. They did a decent job each week, now the LBs and DBs are coming along (after injury losses and learning a new system).

We will be looking at a completely different team by the end of the season. Week 4 is in the books and I like what I see.

Gave up 500 yards passing against IU, but had 5 INTs and got a few lucky breaks yesterday.

Clark Lea is LB coach

The line for ND shrunk, while the line for Wake grew. Two mediocre teams rather than one great and one awful.

Wake has defeated 2 P5 opponents on the road . And the Indiana game had B1G refs .

Setting up to be a pivotal game. Not writing off ND given recent developments but if we can hit the halfway point 3-3 it keeps bowl hopes alive. Winning 3 of 4 against Va. Tech, BC, NC State and Pitt leaves at least a little margin for error. Being in the bowl hunt as long as possible is a big thing on the recruiting trail. Belief without evidence is a wonderful concept but a little evidence doesn't hurt.

They beat duke
Duke lost their starting QB with a season ending injury in August. They are playing a redshirt freshman at QB and freshmen in lots of other positions. Their kicker was absolutely relieved to make that FG yesterday to win the game.
Wake has improved since last year but I don't think beating Duke in their second game of the season is indicative of how good or bad either team is.

Duke lost their starting QB with a season ending injury in August. They are playing a redshirt freshman at QB and freshmen in lots of other positions. Their kicker was absolutely relieved to make that FG yesterday to win the game.
Wake has improved since last year but I don't think beating Duke in their second game of the season is indicative of how good or bad either team is.

ND must be godawful then.

ND must be godawful then.

I don't think I've ever heard a crowd of that size so clear with their chant to fire their DC.

I actually felt bad for the guy. The Rudy chant in the movie wasn't as loud.

Side note: Pitt is last in the country in pass defense FBS only (#128) That must really drive Narduzzi nuts. Wake is very bad against the pass too (#118)

Full disclosure: we are in the 100's too. Thanks Jackson.

I am hoping Kelly is so mad he benches Kizer to send a message because that kid will likely chew us up. Wishful thinking but I can wish!

Before the season I thought Wake would be a solid 5-7 team. They lucked out with Duke having no QB. I think they make a Bowl now but they are still worse than SU (thanks schedule). I expect them to put up more points than UConn which means we cannot have a crap 2nd Q like we did offensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom