Wake Post game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Post game

Girard, Jessie, Brown, Mintz were awesome tonight!! Both sides of the ball. Good hustle from Bell. Loved the stretches when only the forward (Brown) was coming up to help on D, while the other forward on the other side of the court wasn't. If our forwards could rebound, Jessie could swap to forward on corner run outs, but were not there yet. Really hoping Jessie returns or Benny develops into a point pf+ 10 minutes at center next year.

Awesome Celebration all day long!

Thoroughly enjoyed the highlight reel they put together for Hak's jersey retirement.
Amazing how, 20yrs later, remembered many of them like they were yesterday.
Good Times!

Also -before the game noticed Hak coming down to the Fun Zone-
Hak very graciously agreed to a quick picture with a family member who may be his greatest fan.
He absolutely made their day.

As JB noted in his speech after the jerseys were retired -special people as well as players on that team.

Can anyone who was close to it, explain how Mintz’s “halftime” technical occurred? There was talk about an altercation involving Mintz, a ref and an assistant coach? Thought maybe it was just Mintz complaining but was there more to it?

Mintz seemed to be whining about not getting a whistle on his buzzer-beater baseline fadeaway, he kind of broke stride to continue with the ref and he must've said one of the magic words because Autry made an immediate 180 to come pull Mintz toward the tunnel (but apparently the damage was done).

Mintz seemed to be whining about not getting a whistle on his buzzer-beater baseline fadeaway, he kind of broke stride to continue with the ref and he must've said one of the magic words because Autry made an immediate 180 to come pull Mintz toward the tunnel (but apparently the damage was done).
I only saw the first part. Thanks. Gee the million games that I’ve gone to, I never noticed the refs going to the locker room down the same tunnel as the players.

I’m sure this has been mentioned before but I really liked the moment when JB said some nice things about Billy Edelin. I assume they weren’t on the best terms for awhile which made it all the more special.

Awesome.

Glad they got the 2003 team back together.

I've changed my mind -- after that speech, I could see GMac as the head coach someday.
When you hear him talk during media interviews, he comes across very head-coach like

I know this is game related, lol, but I was so happy for Jesse with his parents having come over to see him on senior day and him having such a big big game.
Great post!

I'm pretty sure Paul Harris had a 20/20 game vs. UConn in the 6OT game but I'm not aware of any SU player doing it in regulation in recent memory prior to tonight.

Rick Jackson kind of early in the '10/'11 season?

EDIT: Not Rick Jackson. Per the media guide, nobody's had a 20/20 since Harris and nobody's done it in regulation since Derrick Coleman (in what appears to have been a Big East semifinal win, which is cool) in 1990. Only 7 SU players have ever had a 20/20: Bing (x3), Vaughn Harper, Bill Smith, Rudy Hackett (x3), Coleman (x2), and Harris. Welcome to the club, Jesse Edwards. And Rudy Hackett, come on down for your overdue jersey retirement.

Last edited:
I hope you all were able to see it. Awesome!!!! By all from Hak to Gerry to Coach. Loved him calling out Billy E. That was great! Enjoy that beer Mc!

I love our orange family
It was awesome that the MASN broadcast stayed with the post-game ceremony after the game ended. I don't know if this was the case with all of the RSN affiliates, but I was really glad I didn't turn off the TV after the game ended. The ceremony was awesome, but I have to admit that I was concerned when Hak held up his framed jersey that it would say "Warwick".

I’m sure this has been mentioned before but I really liked the moment when JB said some nice things about Billy Edelin. I assume they weren’t on the best terms for awhile which made it all the more special.
The announcer said Billy couldn’t make it. Then there he was! When Carmelo was going down the line, one of the players grabbed him and hugged him for at least 5 seconds, until they were both off balance. I couldn’t figure out who it was, but now wonder if it was Billy?

When Boeheim called him out personally (voice cracking as he did so), that was the first time I saw him. Billy had mental health issues, and in 2004 Boeheim excoriated him on the court, and Billy never returned to our team. He may have been suicidal. It was terrible drama. I can only hope that Boeheim has talked to him and apologized, and I suspect he has. Does anyone know more about this?

The announcer said Billy couldn’t make it. Then there he was! When Carmelo was going down the line, one of the players grabbed him and hugged him for at least 5 seconds, until they were both off balance. I couldn’t figure out who it was, but now wonder if it was Billy?

When Boeheim called him out personally (voice cracking as he did so), that was the first time I saw him. Billy had mental health issues, and in 2004 Boeheim excoriated him on the court, and Billy never returned to our team. He may have been suicidal. It was terrible drama. I can only hope that Boeheim has talked to him and apologized, and I suspect he has. Does anyone know more about this?
At first when JB was speaking he gave a shoutout to the supporting role players like Pace and Kueth, but he didn't mention Billy. I was like OMG this is so awkward but then he gave special recognition to Billy and you could tell it meant the world to him.

I’m not sure about the JB issues, but the NCAA basically stalked him when we went through our investigation earlier last decade.

I used to run into him all the time at Pavones when I worked out of the Dey’s building from 2011-2016. At the time he worked for the county.

Well, to be honest….keeping track of Billy has always been a problem. It really felt like 2003-2004 in that manner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom