Wake Post game | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wake Post game

Well, to be honest….keeping track of Billy has always been a problem. It really felt like 2003-2004 in that manner

So glad Billy has fought on to battle through a harder road ( edit noting it was his own demons) than most endure. That 03-04 team after how he started... still stings as I think a return to the FF was still realistic and then who knows when you had Hak and Gerry.

It was one game but always hated Bama since then and hoped they never figured it out in hoops.

Also as for Billy- we pay attention and respect to the challenges better these days than we did then, the NCAA well- they are pretty much Gtown.. doesn't matter what time or year.

I’m not sure about the JB issues, but the NCAA basically stalked him when we went through our investigation earlier last decade.

I used to run into him all the time at Pavones when I worked out of the Dey’s building from 2011-2016. At the time he worked for the county.
Yes…the NCAA absolutely wanted to get to Billy….don’t think they ever did. It was wiiiiiiiild.

And Billy’s issues were mostly self inflicted. No need to go into detail. I don’t believe JB was the cause at all.

So glad Billy has fought on to battle through a harder road ( edit noting it was his own demons) than most endure. That 03-04 team after how he started... still stings as I think a return to the FF was still realistic and then who knows when you had Hak and Gerry.

It was one game but always hated Bama since then and hoped they never figured it out in hoops.

Also as for Billy- we pay attention and respect to the challenges better these days than we did then, the NCAA well- they are pretty much Gtown.. doesn't matter what time or year.
The Melo Billy hug was the best last night. Just the best.

Billy had mental health issues, and in 2004 Boeheim excoriated him on the court, and Billy never returned to our team. He may have been suicidal. It was terrible drama. I can only hope that Boeheim has talked to him and apologized, and I suspect he has. Does anyone know more about this?
Back in 2004 and a few message boards ago, Billy’s situation leaving the team and school was something that seemed to be discussed only on the ‘pay side’ of the message board. Maybe no one really truly knew was happening or no one wanted to publicly share Billy’s struggles online. There were some hints at mental health issues and at that time mental health wasn’t as commonly recognized as a disease and not something a person did to themselves.

I remember Billy’s situation being not openly discussed similarly to Frank Howard’s later NCAA suspension- something almost secretively referred to but never really openly talked about & explained on the board.

My sons first basketball game in the Dome. Went to the bathroom in a stall, comes out, I tell him to wash his hands, he walks up to the urinal trough thinking it’s a sink and I scream “NOOOOO!”

I think this means he doesn’t qualify for Mensa.

Five years ago there would have been 35,000 there.

The ceremony and speeches were wonderful though and incredibly happy the regular season ended with a win.
Not against Wake. Maybe +30K

Mintz seemed to say something after his last shot and he went to the floor. but it was quick before they cut away..
I thought just before the tv camera cut away, I saw a referee help Judah up from the floor as another player walked towards him. Not sure if something was said at that moment.

I thought just before the tv camera cut away, I saw a referee help Judah up from the floor as another player walked towards him. Not sure if something was said at that moment.
Mintz chirped at the ref all the way into the locker room. A coach (Griff?) I believe was trying to get him to stop and the ref T’d Mintz up.

My sons first basketball game in the Dome. Went to the bathroom in a stall, comes out, I tell him to wash his hands, he walks up to the urinal trough thinking it’s a sink and I scream “NOOOOO!”

I think this means he doesn’t qualify for Mensa.

Does Mensa allow kids?

Does Mensa allow kids?
Bow Tie Young Sheldon GIF by CBS

Yes…the NCAA absolutely wanted to get to Billy….don’t think they ever did. It was wiiiiiiiild.

And Billy’s issues were mostly self inflicted. No need to go into detail. I don’t believe JB was the cause at all.
I know what was going on with Billy. I actually had a conversation with him at MSG about it and how it was helping me to deal with some problems with one of my kids at the time. I would put some blame on SU, but this is how things were done in those times, and have really changed the past couple of years.

Rick Jackson kind of early in the '10/'11 season?

EDIT: Not Rick Jackson. Per the media guide, nobody's had a 20/20 since Harris and nobody's done it in regulation since Derrick Coleman (in what appears to have been a Big East semifinal win, which is cool) in 1990. Only 7 SU players have ever had a 20/20: Bing (x3), Vaughn Harper, Bill Smith, Rudy Hackett (x3), Coleman (x2), and Harris. Welcome to the club, Jesse Edwards. And Rudy Hackett, come on down for your overdue jersey retirement.

I was looking for that, both on Orangehoops and the Media Guide and finally found it on page 78 of the guide:

20 Points - 20 Rebounds
Name Pts. Rebs. Opponent Date
1. Dave Bing 23 21 Colgate 1/13/1965
2. Dave Bing 23 22 Penn State 2/20/1965
3. Dave Bing 39 25 Cornell 2/8/1966
4. Vaughn Harper 26 21 Manhattan 12/21/1966
5. Bill Smith 28 23 W. Virginia 2/13/1971
6. Rudy Hackett 20 22 at LaSalle OT 12/12/1973
7. Rudy Hackett 34 21 St. Bona 2/4/1975
8. Rudy Hackett 32 21 St. Bona 3/8/1975
9. Derrick Coleman 23 21 Providence 1/20/1990
10. Derrick Coleman 25 23 vs. Villanova 3/10/1990
11. Paul Harris 29 22 vs. Connecticut* 3/12/2009

Bing, obviously, was a fabulous player at 6-3 but in those days the average center was probably 6-7 or 6-8, forward were 6-4 or 6-5 and guards were around 6 feet tall so it was easier for a great 6-3 to get a lot of rebounds. Also, more shots were missed so there were more rebounds to get. All-the All Americans who were specifically guards were usually double-figure rebounders. And SU played at such a break-neck pace that there were many more field goal attempts.

Rudy Hackett is something of a forgotten man who needs to be much better remembered. His jersey should be on the wall, too. He was to our first Final Four team what Jesse Edwards is to this team.

Rudy Hackett

He brought it up unprompted.
Thanks. Do you have a link? Strange that I couldn’t find a WAER link for it.

So here’s an alternate interpretation of these comments…”I’ve fulfilled my promise to these freshman and I’m leaving the program in great shape for the next guy”.
Yea I was wondering that too. I read that only in the context of last year / this year. It’s similar to his “I’ll sit down and think about it this summer.”

So here’s an alternate interpretation of these comments…”I’ve fulfilled my promise to these freshman and I’m leaving the program in great shape for the next guy”.
This is syracusefan.com board members right now trying to interpret JB's post game comments:

What i found very interesting was JBs comments about today's players basically only caring about stuffing their stats.

Yeah I zeroed in on that too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom