Was this the BIGGEST MOMENT in SU Football history? | Syracusefan.com

Was this the BIGGEST MOMENT in SU Football history?

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I know- we've had bigger games like Nebraska, Auburn Sugar Bowl, and of course, the '59 NC.
But considering where we've been as a program these last 2 decades or so, is this upset the biggest moment in program history?
We didn't finish strong these last 2 seasons, but what this upset told me is that we CAN win a NC at the Cuse. We can play with the biggest of boys, the system works, there IS a plan and its progressing, and HCDFrickenB is the man to take us there.
Best of all, this moment...is FOREVER! LGO

It was nice but it doesn't crack my top 10. Almost certainly it is not in my top 20 either.

For me, this is number one and narrowly outweighs being in Morgantown when we shocked WVU under Marrone on their homecoming and crushing them on a Friday night in the Dome the next year. I'm younger so my list doesn't include a lot of the classics because I didn't get to witness them. I also tend to only include games I was at. And Tomcat you're an incredible poster but you're not sure if the Clemson win cracks your top 20?

Also, I've watched that extended cut video more times than I'd care to admit.

It was nice but it doesn't crack my top 10. Almost certainly it is not in my top 20 either.
This isn't serious...right? Not being sarcastic here...just wondering what 10-20 moments were bigger, or more significant to you. I've been watching since around 87. Religiously since 1990. In those years, I only recall winning the 92-93 fiesta bowl, and finishing #6 as a bigger moment. We've had wins over some name teams in some bowl games and during the regular season, but none were ranked #2, and none were defending NC's.

1-59 NC
2-Beating West Virginia in 87. I can't count tying in the sugar bowl, but that game was epic, and was a huge win.
3-92-93 fiesta bowl
4- Beating #1 Nebraska in 84
5-Beating #2 Clemson in 2017
6- The little know, and forgotten undefeated 1943 season. (Look it up...seriously...nobody beat them in 1943)

Jury is out on it being near the top, for me. Nebraska was big because it was a turning point. If in a few years we can look at Clemson as having that kind of effect, then it would probably make my top 5. Maybe it still wouldn't deserve top 5. I wasn't around (or old enough) for the 50's and my memory of 60's and 70's games is getting fuzzy. Wish I had TomCat's memory!

It depends what happens next. Does the win over Clemson prove to be the harbinger of an emergence of the football program as a major power? Then, yes, it will be a top 10 win. The Nebraska win is a landmark win because of what came after it.

No.
It is definitely no doubt a top 10 win in the history of the program.

We beat the defending NC, who were #2 and one of the playoff teams when it was over.

It’s not our high point for the program. It was probably our best win since McNabb.

For me, this is number one and narrowly outweighs being in Morgantown when we shocked WVU under Marrone on their homecoming and crushing them on a Friday night in the Dome the next year. I'm younger so my list doesn't include a lot of the classics because I didn't get to witness them. I also tend to only include games I was at. And Tomcat you're an incredible poster but you're not sure if the Clemson win cracks your top 20?

Also, I've watched that extended cut video more times than I'd care to admit.
Correct, I am not sure if the Clemson victory cracks my top 20. Syracuse has been playing football for close to 130 years. That is a lot of games.

It was a nice victory. The quality of football was good and Clemson, even with their top QB injured and their program decimated by graduation losses from the previous year, was still a very good team. But it wasn't in the same ballpark with a bunch of great games Syracuse has played in before then.

Remember also, the question was about great SU football moments, not great games. I take that literally and am not limiting things to actual games. So I include the day that Archbold Stadium opened, the day the Carrier Dome opened, the day Ernie Davis won the Heisman, the day construction on the Carrier Dome started, etc. in my list.

I have to work right now but I will try and make a list in the next few weeks of my top moments in SU football history. This is just my opinion...I like history a lot and probably am more mindful of the past than a lot of people. Doesn't mean I am right...it is just the way I look at things.

Correct, I am not sure if the Clemson victory cracks my top 20. Syracuse has been playing football for close to 130 years. That is a lot of games.

The modern era of college football is generally considered post-1936 which is the first year of the AP poll. It's so rare in SU football history that we defeat a team ranked in the Top 2, that I just don't see how last year's Clemson win wouldn't crack the Top 10, let alone Top 20.

If it had lead to a break through season the rest of the way, then maybe. In the context of the way we finished, absolutely not.

1-59 NC
2-Beating West Virginia in 87. I can't count tying in the sugar bowl, but that game was epic, and was a huge win.
3-92-93 fiesta bowl
6- The little know, and forgotten undefeated 1943 season. (Look it up...seriously...nobody beat them in 1943)

Good list. I would include the 87 Penn State game, as well. Probably 1991 Florida, as well.

1-59 NC
3-92-93 fiesta bowl
Michigan at the Big House in 1998 would be in my top 10 as well.
That win and Miami win on Senior Day in 1998.