Was this the BIGGEST MOMENT in SU Football history? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Was this the BIGGEST MOMENT in SU Football history?

If it had lead to a break through season the rest of the way, then maybe. In the context of the way we finished, absolutely not.
The 84 win didn't lead to a breakthrough that year either. 7-5,followed by 5-6. I'm guessing after the 5-6 year, Nebraska wasn't seen as a breakthrough either. Time will tell if Clemson was a spring board. If we go 7-5, and then have another losing year after that, people will be mighty impatient.
These wins tend to age like wine. Give it 5 years, and then we'll know if the Clemson win was a 2017 Trader Joes Chardonay, or a or a 1928 Krug

Michigan at the Big House in 1998 would be in my top 10 as well.
That win and Miami win on Senior Day in 1998.
Definitely in my top 10. I don't rank them in high, because they were big wins, but not really significant in my mind. Miami was down due to sanctions, (although still loaded), and winning at Michigan was huge, but it didn't really make us any more relevant than being a team ranked in that 10-20 range.
My god, now that I'm thinking back, that 97-98 season had some huge games
Being robbed vs. what would become the National Champion in Tennessee, beating Michigan at the big house, the throw back to Brominsky to beat Va Tech, and the Miami blowout all in the same year. If we could've managed to not get the crap kicked out of us in the Orange bowl...that kind of left the season with a bitter taste.

Correct, I am not sure if the Clemson victory cracks my top 20. Syracuse has been playing football for close to 130 years. That is a lot of games.

It was a nice victory. The quality of football was good and Clemson, even with their top QB injured and their program decimated by graduation losses from the previous year, was still a very good team. But it wasn't in the same ballpark with a bunch of great games Syracuse has played in before then.

Remember also, the question was about great SU football moments, not great games. I take that literally and am not limiting things to actual games. So I include the day that Archbold Stadium opened, the day the Carrier Dome opened, the day Ernie Davis won the Heisman, the day construction on the Carrier Dome started, etc. in my list.

I have to work right now but I will try and make a list in the next few weeks of my top moments in SU football history. This is just my opinion...I like history a lot and probably am more mindful of the past than a lot of people. Doesn't mean I am right...it is just the way I look at things.
And being a younger fan I appreciate perspectives of fans like you. I look forward to one of your signature posts later on.

The 84 win didn't lead to a breakthrough that year either. 7-5,followed by 5-6. I'm guessing after the 5-6 year, Nebraska wasn't seen as a breakthrough either. Time will tell if Clemson was a spring board. If we go 7-5, and then have another losing year after that, people will be mighty impatient.
These wins tend to age like wine. Give it 5 years, and then we'll know if the Clemson win was a 2017 Trader Joes Chardonay, or a or a 1928 Krug
We finished the season with a winning record and won 3 out of our last 4 games. If we had only won 2 of our games after Clemson, it would feel much different. Finshing without even one more win diminishes it for me.

Yeah, I know- we've had bigger games like Nebraska, Auburn Sugar Bowl, and of course, the '59 NC.
But considering where we've been as a program these last 2 decades or so, is this upset the biggest moment in program history?
We didn't finish strong these last 2 seasons, but what this upset told me is that we CAN win a NC at the Cuse. We can play with the biggest of boys, the system works, there IS a plan and its progressing, and HCDFrickenB is the man to take us there.
Best of all, this moment...is FOREVER! LGO

Let's say this was the biggest moment in a generation. I am comfortable with that.

Let's say this was the biggest moment in a generation. I am comfortable with that.
Fair enough.
I still think the jury is out and as others have mentioned, if we look back in 5 years and see this as a turning point to greater glory, then it grows in significance.
It took Coach Mac 2 more mediocre seasons after the Nebraska game to break through. I don't think fans and social media are as patient these days.
If HCDFB doesn't break through in a coupla years, this moment becomes a false flag!

Last edited:
It's sad to think a 1-off crazy upset, v the backup QB, in a 4-8 season...is being debated as the greatest moment in the history of this (once?) proud football program.

If posters here were trolling other boards to link 'look how sad blank has become' threads, you guys would be all over it.

The Hoop 'Borg'' infestation of the football board is complete. It's been assimilated.

Ridiculous.

No, sad...

It's sad to think a 1-off crazy upset, v the backup QB, in a 4-8 season...is being debated as the greatest moment in the history of this (once?) proud football program.

If posters here were trolling other boards to link 'look how sad blank has become' threads, you guys would be all over it.

The Hoop 'Borg'' infestation of the football board is complete. It's been assimilated.

Ridiculous.

No, sad...
It is our best win since 1998.

It is sad that people forget ranked football teams.

What is the hoop borg infestation that is over my head.

I know of at least 5 fetuses which were conceived in the 7 days surrounding the Clemson football game, including my own. Considering I moved from the area in 2007, it's been over a decade since I've made new friends in the area. I'm going to assume that this is not an anomaly to the general Syracuse population and thus is not a coincidence. So the local population effectively had a conception surge relative to the win over Clemson. That seems to align closely with historical localized surges in conception realized when teams win a Super Bowl. Thus, I see no way that this win could be viewed any lower than Top 5 in Syracuse University football history!

;)

Last edited:

Ridiculous.

No, sad...
The bolded part your way of trolling the rest of us?

This wasn't a crazy upset. Syracuse absolutely dismantled Clemson in that game. Let's not forget, one of Clemson's scores was a fumble recovery TD on a drive that was likely going to end in points for Syracuse (thus a 10 pt swing). If Syracuse received 3-4 lucky bounces, I'd agree with you, but that wasn't what happened on the field. Also, it was only v. the backup QB because Syracuse knocked the starter out.

The team earned that win. They didn't luck into it.

Ridiculous.

No, sad...
Nobody is actually debating that. The op suggested that to him/her, it may be the biggest moment ever. He/she asked our opinion, and nobody else seems to be suggesting it is.

The bolded part your way of trolling the rest of us?

This wasn't a crazy upset. Syracuse absolutely dismantled Clemson in that game. Let's not forget, one of Clemson's scores was a fumble recovery TD on a drive that was likely going to end in points for Syracuse (thus a 10 pt swing). If Syracuse received 3-4 lucky bounces, I'd agree with you, but that wasn't what happened on the field. Also, it was only v. the backup QB because Syracuse knocked the starter out.

The team earned that win. They didn't luck into it.
Exactly. I forget the spread, but Vegas knew Bryant wasn't 100% and still favored them by 24+. We've faced Clemsons back up QB's in the past, and they still shredded us. The team outplayed them period. Injuries are a part of every season. Nobody wants to hear us complain about, "if Dungey was healthy the last 4 games, we could've done this or that", nor do we want to hear about it being an excuse as to why we beat Clemson.
Also, don't forget there are 2 sides of the ball. Our offense moved the ball on their healthy defense. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that we were pushing them around in the second half. That d-line for Clemson was full of future NFL players.

It is our best win since 1998.

It is sad that people forget ranked football teams.

What is the hoop borg infestation that is over my head.
I fought for years, over a decade, to not let the Romper Roomers on the hoop board take it over.

I lost, the idiots won. Have you seen it lately?? People who were against me now hate it.

Now, it appears the ‘Borg’ (Star Trek TNG reference) have moved here and assimilated the football board. As 1 guy pointed out, maybe I was wrong and total assimilation hasn’t happened. There’s a lot of ‘No’ votes.

In time there could be only 1 board left where we can debate sports intelligently and humorously. But as of now, Ill say...yes, there is still hope for the football board...

Picard_as_Locutus.jpg

Last edited:
I fought for years, over a decade, to not let the Romper Roomers on the hoop board take it over.

I lost, the idiots won. Have you seen it lately?? People who were against me now hate it.

Now, it appears the ‘Borg’ (Star Trek TNG reference) have moved here and assimilated the football board. As 1 guy pointed out, maybe I was wrong and total assimilation hasn’t happened. There’s a lot of ‘No’ votes.

In time there could be only 1 board left where we can debate sports intelligently and humorously. But as of now, Ill say...yes, there is still hope for the football board...

Picard_as_Locutus.jpg
This seems like more of a personal issue, Kaiser. ;)
I think cuse309 said it best. Its all about your opinion and why you might feel differently.
Everyone has named other instances that rank highly, so what are yours? With all your "experience" following the program, you must have a few, no?
And citing this moment as a possibility of being the BEST ever, simply presupposes that HCDFB is about to take the program to stratospheric levels in this new modern era.
That, IMHO, is a very real possibility...and this game could turn out to be the catalyst.

This seems like more of a personal issue, Kaiser. ;)
I think cuse309 said it best. Its all about your opinion and why you might feel differently.
Everyone has named other instances that rank highly, so what are yours? With all your "experience" following the program, you must have a few, no?
And citing this moment as a possibility of being the BEST ever, simply presupposes that HCDFB is about to take the program to stratospheric levels in this new modern era.
That, IMHO, is a very real possibility...and this game could turn out to be the catalyst.
I don’t think that Win matters in the grand scheme of things.

Nebraska in 84 was awesome, but it didn’t matter.

Both are awesome wins, huge even...but big games in winning seasons are more important.

The Biggest Moment in the HISTORY of the Program???

Come on, you regret that title.

The National Championship, the Davis Heisman and even McPherson’s runner up, but Maxwell and O’Brien Awards are bigger IMO.

As for games...many were mentioned.

-ped st in 87
-wv in 87
-ped st in 88 *edited in
-fla in 91
-92 season Fiesta
-all McNabbs big games

-him going #2 overall

And then nothing after that.

Last edited:

Picard_as_Locutus.jpg
I just googled it. You are basically describing UConn football fans thinking they could copy their basketball success to a tee.

Basketball board has General20, OrangeDW, Cusefan0307 and JNCuse who keep it good. I am sure I am missing some.

Although a stellar win, not even sure it was our greatest moment vs Clemson.

The 41-0 thrashing that McNabb team delivered in the 1996 Gator Bowl before what was basically a Clemson home crowd was an absolute power statement.

No, not a vintage Clemson team, but it was a flag in the Southern sod for Northeast football and a sign of things to come for those McNabb teams.

Last edited:

Picard_as_Locutus.jpg
Have to agree w/ you. I cannot stand reading the BB playground anymore.

No doubt a good win, but in my opinion, great moments more likely occur when something is accomplished in a great season.

Owens 2pt conversion capped a perfect regular season.

Rob Moore 80 yards was sooooo much more an important moment in this programs history than it looks on paper. You just had to be alive st that moment.

Going toe to toe with a very good Auburn team in the Sugar Bowl forcing Pat Dye to play for a tie was huge. (It's too often looked at the wrong way).

Kirby Dar Dar almost single handedly changed the way Steve Spurrier scheduled for 20 years.

Mine Siano's catch.

1959 NC

And those are just game accomplishments.

Coach Mac coach of the years.

Ernie Davis Heisman.

Donnie M finishing 2nd in Heisman.

One offs in a 4-8 season are fun, but they don't mean much to me. If this win is part of a foundation for a great future- it moves up the list...but right now it's not up there for me.

A win against defending national champion and #1 (i think they were) Clemson does not crack your top ten let alone top 20?

What it must have been to be a fan before the 90s then.
some of us, go back to the early 60's, and before. it was a lot more fun (for me anyway)until the early 70's.just enjoy yourself and the ride!!!!

It was a great moment, but as example, any “moment” in the ‘92-‘93 season was as important. That season solidified our brand in a year the hoops team was on probation. That season helped recruit the team of McNabb’s first years (‘96-‘98). We had a frustrating loss to a good Ohio State team, showed the world we could stand toe to toe with one of the better Miami teams in their storied history, won a great Fiesta Bowl over a very good Colorado team that included some exciting ST play. Wasn’t that the year Graves started the brawl on the WVU sideline? The late win over Texas in the Dome where Graves laid out to catch the game tying 2pt. conversion pass from DWalker. They broke the Dome. KMitchell from nose tackle lite up Pitt QB A VanPelt, knocking him out and allowing us to key on C Martin, back when he was known as the razor.

Other underrated moments for me include the Kickoff Classic dismantling of a well regarded Wisconsin team, shutting down Heisman winner Ron Dayne.

Not sure of its significance, especially since it wound up a loss, but the ‘94-‘95 comeback against Oklahoma that featured “the play” by Bryce Bevel. Always remember that gut check.