Way too early look at next years roster. | Syracusefan.com

Way too early look at next years roster.

GoSU96

Living Legend
Depth in some spots will be an issue but just like any other team if they can stay reasonably heathly this team can be good next year.

Here is my cut, does not include any recruits.

Defense

Thompson at DE and move Raymon to DT. Starting DL Thompson, Johnson at DE, Raymon, Williams at DT/NT. Biggest line at SU in a while. 6/3 260, 6/5 320, 6/4 315, 6/4 290 across the front. This starting group could be very good.

DE depth is an issue with Simmons and Slayton the only guys returning. Inside Coleman and Sloan have experience, but Harvey and Samuels should have a chance to pass them in the rotation.

LB - I'd move Hodge outside, Franklin at MLB. Thompson, Moskal, Bennett, Vigille can fight it out for the other starting spot, the others make are on the two deep. And this staff rotates LB's so it doesn't matter.

DB - Assumes Eskridge is leaving. Start with Morgan and Winfield at corner, move Whigham inside to FS, Scissum and Williams competing for the SS spot. Dowels, Cordy, Hudson would provide depth at corner. Depth at safety is an issue.

Offense - OL Ward, Trudo, Miller, Robinson, Foy - Veteran group outside of Ward, which is a pure guess.

Emerich, Palmer, Lasker and McGloster have all experience because of the issues this year.

TE - Parris and Moore co-1's. Provo and Batten back up.

WR - from 15 to eight, question is more who isn't in the rotation. Ishmael, Broyld, Estime to start. Second unit is Lewis, Custis, Avant. Will Enoicy and AC get in the plan. To me Broyld is most at risk to not be a starter.

RB - McFarlane, Morris, Phillips, that's it right now, all three play. If nothing else spring practice could be difficult with short numbers. here.

QB - Who the hell knows. Open competition as far as I'm concerned.

I think McFarlane has played himself behind everyone recently. Don't think you can run this O (then again, what might the O look like next year?) without being able to catch a pass. Morris and McFarlane have been terrible with that. Erv should be the starter next year.

If Winfield is starting at CB next year I'm worried.

Secondary is a major concern next season, unless Eskridge decides to do the smart thing and come back. Reddish is probably the biggest loss on the team (Hickey is 1-A).

Need some of the skill position guys to step up big time. McFarlane and Morris are in their fourth years next year in the system. They need to produce. Phillips, Estime and Ishmael need to take a step up and become consistent.

QB is a mess, but I still haven't given up on Hunt. He won games for us last year. Would have won more than we have won this year without him, too.

Depth in some spots will be an issue but just like any other team if they can stay reasonably heathly this team can be good next year.

Here is my cut, does not include any recruits.

Defense

Thompson at DE and move Raymon to DT. Starting DL Thompson, Johnson at DE, Raymon, Williams at DT/NT. Biggest line at SU in a while. 6/3 260, 6/5 320, 6/4 315, 6/4 290 across the front. This starting group could be very good.

DE depth is an issue with Simmons and Slayton the only guys returning. Inside Coleman and Sloan have experience, but Harvey and Samuels should have a chance to pass them in the rotation.

LB - I'd move Hodge outside, Franklin at MLB. Thompson, Moskal, Bennett, Vigille can fight it out for the other starting spot, the others make are on the two deep. And this staff rotates LB's so it doesn't matter.

DB - Assumes Eskridge is leaving. Start with Morgan and Winfield at corner, move Whigham inside to FS, Scissum and Williams competing for the SS spot. Dowels, Cordy, Hudson would provide depth at corner. Depth at safety is an issue.

Offense - OL Ward, Trudo, Miller, Robinson, Foy - Veteran group outside of Ward, which is a pure guess.

Emerich, Palmer, Lasker and McGloster have all experience because of the issues this year.

TE - Parris and Moore co-1's. Provo and Batten back up.

WR - from 15 to eight, question is more who isn't in the rotation. Ishmael, Broyld, Estime to start. Second unit is Lewis, Custis, Avant. Will Enoicy and AC get in the plan. To me Broyld is most at risk to not be a starter.

RB - McFarlane, Morris, Phillips, that's it right now, all three play. If nothing else spring practice could be difficult with short numbers. here.

QB - Who the hell knows. Open competition as far as I'm concerned.

I'm pretty sure Miller is done after this year..

Secondary and OT is what I'm most worried about. We have GOT to keep Thompson fixed on the outside next year. Really need the younger guys at DT to show up.

As for the safeties, Prater and Blair are great prospects if they can make it here.

I'm pretty sure Miller is done after this year..

Bio says 2012 HS grad with one year in JUCO.

Played last year, that's two, this year third year.

One left.

Bio says 2012 HS grad with one year in JUCO.

Played last year, that's two, this year third year.

One left.

I don't think that's correct. He graduated JC 2012... HS grad 2010 I thnk ..

My notes say that Miller was 3 to play 2 when he came here.

I don't think that's correct. He graduated JC 2012... HS grad 2010 I thnk ..

Roster Bio -
High School: 2012 All-California, All-CIF and All-Bay League selection … Team captain as a senior … High School Coach: Gene Simon.

If that is wrong, so much for that, Emerich gets the job by default.

Nice analysis, Go.

One quibble: after the strong play he demonstrated this year, I can't envision Palmer not starting somewhere on the OL next season. In fact, I wonder if his presence makes it possible to move a guy like Trudo to center. Emerich gained some valuable experieince this year, too, so I'm not writing him off.

Roster Bio -
High School: 2012 All-California, All-CIF and All-Bay League selection … Team captain as a senior … High School Coach: Gene Simon.

If that is wrong, so much for that, Emerich gets the job by default.

It's wrong..he graduated from Los Angeles Harbor CC in 2012

With the chatter abt Kendall Shaheed-Moore moving from TE, I wonder if he might be moving to Center. He took snaps there in the spring.

It's wrong..he graduated from Los Angeles Harbor CC in 2012

With the chatter abt Kendall Shaheed-Moore moving from TE, I wonder if he might be moving to Center. He took snaps there in the spring.

What chatter?

What chatter?

Yesterday's DO:

http://www.dailyorange.com/2014/11/syracuse-football-recruiting-continues-to-evolve/

Shafer, while not touching on the academic aspect, said he most likely won’t dip into the junior college pool unless there’s an immediate need at a position. Class of 2015 tight end Trey Dunkelberger may be one of those, as he said Shafer told him one of this year’s tight ends will be moving to the offensive line in the spring, the time when Dunkelberger would arrive at SU.

The guess is that Moore is being moved, since he's filled in on the OL before.

Yesterday's DO:

http://www.dailyorange.com/2014/11/syracuse-football-recruiting-continues-to-evolve/

Shafer, while not touching on the academic aspect, said he most likely won’t dip into the junior college pool unless there’s an immediate need at a position. Class of 2015 tight end Trey Dunkelberger may be one of those, as he said Shafer told him one of this year’s tight ends will be moving to the offensive line in the spring, the time when Dunkelberger would arrive at SU.

The guess is that Moore is being moved, since he's filled in on the OL before.

Haven't kept up with my reading.

Nice work there by Chuck B in Rochester.

As far as I know MacDonald didn't lose his Asst. HC title, and that is more $$$. Give him another bump to have him stick around next year.

If Winfield is starting at CB next year I'm worried.

Secondary is a major concern next season, unless Eskridge decides to do the smart thing and come back. Reddish is probably the biggest loss on the team (Hickey is 1-A).

Need some of the skill position guys to step up big time. McFarlane and Morris are in their fourth years next year in the system. They need to produce. Phillips, Estime and Ishmael need to take a step up and become consistent.

QB is a mess, but I still haven't given up on Hunt. He won games for us last year. Would have won more than we have won this year without him, too.

Worried about Winfield, he got thrown to the wolves as true freshmen against ND. He was moved middle of camp to DB from WR. He's been making some nice plays on specials and learning.

Upstate said:
I think McFarlane has played himself behind everyone recently. Don't think you can run this O (then again, what might the O look like next year?) without being able to catch a pass. Morris and McFarlane have been terrible with that. Erv should be the starter next year.

I think McFarlane starts. Morris hasn't been seen the last few games. Huge disappointment. Philips isn't an every down back.

We're really thin here.

Chance for Strickland to play some.

GoSU96 said:
Worried about Winfield, he got thrown to the wolves as true freshmen against ND. He was moved middle of camp to DB from WR. He's been making some nice plays on specials and learning.

I'm worried about Whigham - wherever he winds up on the field. I don't know that he'll turn out as good, but Winfield reminds me a lot of Reddish. And when Reddish first got on the field he also got torched - by USC. Winfield will have some hiccups, but he'll be fine.

Nice analysis, Go.

One quibble: after the strong play he demonstrated this year, I can't envision Palmer not starting somewhere on the OL next season. In fact, I wonder if his presence makes it possible to move a guy like Trudo to center. Emerich gained some valuable experieince this year, too, so I'm not writing him off.
Assuming everyone is healthy, I would think it would be very tempting to go with Robinson, Trudo and Palmer as the OG C OG combo. All have experience and have played well for Syracuse.

Trudo is a really smart kid who is a poly sci major. Is it always nice to have someone calling the blocking assignments who has been through the wars and knows his stuff. Over the years, we have often seen a veteran OG move to center for their senior season...it is a pretty common practice.

Nice also to have Emerich out there as an option. The biggest hurdles that might stop this are injuries, and Trudo's ability to consistently make snaps from the shotgun. My understanding is that this didn't go well in the spring.

Winfield is a redshirt freshman.

Understand he's learning and he has some athletic ability - but if he's starting next year I am not sure I'll be feeling great about that position.

Winfield is a redshirt freshman.

Understand he's learning and he has some athletic ability - but if he's starting next year I am not sure I'll be feeling great about that position.

Eh, whatever, he moved to corner is August.

Assuming everyone is healthy, I would think it would be very tempting to go with Robinson, Trudo and Palmer as the OG C OG combo. All have experience and have played well for Syracuse.

Trudo is a really smart kid who is a poly sci major. Is it always nice to have someone calling the blocking assignments who has been through the wars and knows his stuff. Over the years, we have often seen a veteran OG move to center for their senior season...it is a pretty common practice.

Nice also to have Emerich out there as an option. The biggest hurdles that might stop this are injuries, and Trudo's ability to consistently make snaps from the shotgun. My understanding is that this didn't go well in the spring.

Definitely a way to go, I didn't because of the snapping issue. If he can get that fixed, that would be the best combo.

OT, Foy, Lasker, McGloster, Ward is my guess is what you are limited to unless they are moving Moore back to Tackle. Looking like the Broyld of the line.

You can add Alex Hayes to the list of reserve OL who gained experience this year as a function of being forced into the lineup due to injuries.

Reddish was thrown to the wolves as a true freshman, he turned out ok.

Really like Winfield's work as a gunner. Or whatever we call them now.

Miller graduates, his bio is wrong, he played 2 years of JUCO. It's been wrong since he arrived on campus and has never been corrected. Moore, as said above, is moving to Tackle. That's why we're chasing the JUCO Jingleheimerschmidt at TE.

I'm still hoping for a JUCO Center and Tackle in this class so that we can keep Trudo, Robinson, Palmer and Hayes at G and have a pretty solid G rotation in the even of injury.

Tackle 2 deep is pretty weak. Foy and most likely Ward are the penciled starters, but beyond that, you've got two very, very green and raw players in Burton and McGloster, a very inconsistent Lasker, and Moore who's going to have to rapidly put on about 50-60 pounds. It could be done, he has 9 months to do it, but I wouldn't be shocked if he actually had to redshirt as a result (he still has his and might be the best thing considering the situation). A JUCO Tackle would make me feel a lot more comfortable. Unless the Freshman verbals stick and a couple of them come in at the T position ready to be on the 2 deep. It's a lot to ask of a Freshman.

A JUCO Center could team up with Emerich and the FR Deurig (I believe he's penciled in at C) and may the best man win. And then you'd have Trudo in an emergency capacity.

Miller graduates, his bio is wrong, he played 2 years of JUCO. It's been wrong since he arrived on campus and has never been corrected. Moore, as said above, is moving to Tackle. That's why we're chasing the JUCO Jingleheimerschmidt at TE.

I'm still hoping for a JUCO Center and Tackle in this class so that we can keep Trudo, Robinson, Palmer and Hayes at G and have a pretty solid G rotation in the even of injury.

Tackle 2 deep is pretty weak. Foy and most likely Ward are the penciled starters, but beyond that, you've got two very, very green and raw players in Burton and McGloster, a very inconsistent Lasker, and Moore who's going to have to rapidly put on about 50-60 pounds. It could be done, he has 9 months to do it, but I wouldn't be shocked if he actually had to redshirt as a result (he still has his and might be the best thing considering the situation). A JUCO Tackle would make me feel a lot more comfortable. A JUCO Center could team up with Emerich and may the best man win. And then you'd have Trudo in an emergency capacity.

I'd love to see a JUCO tackle. I have high hopes for Denzel Ward, but you never know. He'll have big shoes to fill [although Ward is a pretty big freaking dude himself, and perhaps the highest rated OL prospect we've signed in a long time].

If Lasker can nail down that 3rd OT position, behind either of them, it would really solidify depth. But given the number of injuries at OL we had this year, I'm not comfortable going into next season having to rely upon Burton / McGloster / true frosh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom