We’ve got to make shots… | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

We’ve got to make shots…

Jake

Mod
Expecting this team to rebound is lunacy.

The bigger issue is Buddy and Cole missing shots and Joe giving away 2-3 possessions without being presssured.

Every offensive possession with this team hs to be productive.

all this hand wringing over rebounds. Yes the 2-3 or 1-1-3 means we are boxing out an area and not a man, however it seems our guys are just not being aggressive to the ball. There have been numerous times where the ball just bounces in front of our guys, and they just stand there. It should be we crash the boards on every shot, but I am just an arm chair quarterback. Not much JB can do, but rebounding is a hustle play. If we can compete with FSU we really should have done a better job with Villanova.

Upvote 0
all this hand wringing over rebounds. Yes the 2-3 or 1-1-3 means we are boxing out an area and not a man, however it seems our guys are just not being aggressive to the ball. There have been numerous times where the ball just bounces in front of our guys, and they just stand there. It should be we crash the boards on every shot, but I am just an arm chair quarterback. Not much JB can do, but rebounding is a hustle play. If we can compete with FSU we really should have done a better job with Villanova.
Thoughts are the same on rebounding.Almost as if they don’t react fast enough and the opponent gets there a split second quicker on many of the balls coming off the rim.I don’t how many of those three point misses it looked as if we were stuck in the mud and just couldn’t get a damn rebound. Frustrating as hell!

Upvote 0
ball goes up. you find a man and box out.

Upvote 0
Rebounding is about "want". We have guys that want to score, not rebound.

Upvote 0
Expecting this team to rebound is lunacy.

The bigger issue is Buddy and Cole missing shots and Joe giving away 2-3 possessions without being presssured.

Every offensive possession with this team hs to be productive.
Having Jesse as a threat to score inside logically suggests our shooters will be open. As Jesse evolves and goes so do we. Cole is still trying to find his way imho

Upvote 0
There you have it, rebounding is 90 percent effort and desire. We do not seem to put in that effort for rebounding.
JB3 gives 100% all the time. No matter how hard he tries, he’s not grabbing a rebound 9-12 inches above the rim, which is where most of the rebounds occur in conference play.

It’s more than effort.

Upvote 0
It doesn’t depend. We got out muscled on the boards. You and others are overthinking the obvious.
We got outmuscled on the boards in the first half, correct? Yet we had the lead.

The rebounding disparity was the constant. The shooting was the variable.

Upvote 0
JB3 gives 100% all the time. No matter how hard he tries, he’s not grabbing a rebound 9-12 inches above the rim, which is where most of the rebounds occur in conference play.

It’s more than effort.
It's not hard to see.

Upvote 0
It’s more than effort.
Yeah, I want to push back against this notion that rebounding is solely "will", or "hustle", or "effort". Look at the great rebounders and that's clearly only one element of it.

There are a lot of fundamentals at play: you gotta be in good position off the miss, you gotta have the requisite burst to beat your opponent to the ball, you gotta have the strength to hold onto the ball, etc.

Every great rebounder I've ever heard speak about it (Rodman, Russell, Barkley) mentions that a lot of grabbing a board happens before the ball even hits the rim -- that's not merely "will", that's skill.

Against Nova there were numerous times we had a hand on a rebound but were either in a poor position to corral it, or weren't strong enough to hold it. Most of our guys are poor rebounders because they lack the skill to do it well, not just because they're not trying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I want to push back against this notion that rebounding is solely "will", or "hustle", or "effort". Look at the great rebounders and that's clearly only one element of it.

There are a lot of fundamentals at play: you gotta be in good position off the miss, you gotta have the requisite burst to beat your opponent to the ball, you gotta have the strength to hold onto the ball, etc.

Every great rebounder I've ever heard speak about it (Rodman, Russell, Barkley) mentions that a lot of grabbing a board happens before the ball even hits the rim -- that's not merely "will", that's skill.

Against Nova there were numerous times we had a hand on a rebound but were either in a poor position to corral it, or weren't strong enough to hold it. Most of our guys a poor rebounders because they lack the skill to do it well, not just because they're not trying.
If everyone, even the coach, agrees that rebounding is the biggest liability right now... is it so crazy to try man defense to see if the overall net difference is a positive? Meaning they might get beat more frequently on dribble drives... but if the overall rebounding improvement more than offsets this then it would be worth adding it to the toolbox. Maybe as an experiment it could be a huge failure but the bar is too low right now to say it's not worth an honest look.

Upvote 0
If everyone, even the coach, agrees that rebounding is the biggest liability right now... is it so crazy to try man defense to see if the overall net difference is a positive? Meaning they might get beat more frequently on dribble drives... but if the overall rebounding improvement more than offsets this then it would be worth sticking with it. Maybe as an experiment it ends up being a huge failure but the bar is set pretty low right now to say it's not worth an honest look.
This program hasn't played meaningful minutes of man-to-man in, what, 25 years? So I think that probably is crazy.

Upvote 0
This program hasn't played meaningful minutes of man-to-man in, what, 25 years? So I think that probably is crazy.
That's a complete lie. They play man quite often to practice their offense because that is almost exclusively what they play against. It's also suggesting these kids have never been exposed to man when in fact man D is probably all they knew growing up.

When the next coach comes in and the same players can suddenly play competent man defense it's going to blow so many heads here. And that is sad.

Upvote 0
If everyone, even the coach, agrees that rebounding is the biggest liability right now... is it so crazy to try man defense to see if the overall net difference is a positive? Meaning they might get beat more frequently on dribble drives... but if the overall rebounding improvement more than offsets this then it would be worth adding it to the toolbox. Maybe as an experiment it could be a huge failure but the bar is too low right now to say it's not worth an honest look.
It's not crazy but if they don't box out and do the things they need to do to rebound, it does not matter what defense they are playing. The crazy thing is that they don't do this basic thing that should be taught to first graders. It's not about being tall or being a leaper. Sure they help, but it is about position. The best rebounders get the position and box out.

Upvote 0
It's not crazy but if they don't box out and do the things they need to do to rebound, it does not matter what defense they are playing. The crazy thing is that they don't do this basic thing that should be taught to first graders. It's not about being tall or being a leaper. Sure they help, but it is about position. The best rebounders get the position and box out.
Pretty hard to be in position when the forwards are playing so high and the center is flying to the corner.

Upvote 0
Who get this rebound?
1639156412696.png

#21... and it didn't bounce back. Our #10 didn't box him out.

Upvote 0
Who get this rebound?
View attachment 211763

#21... and it didn't bounce back. Our #10 didn't box him out.
this was the play I shook my head realizing Bennie had absolutely no idea where he was supposed to be.

...then someone posted that he was taken out after 1 mistake (The bad charge call)

Like did you watch him on D???

Upvote 0
this was the play I shook my head realizing Bennie had absolutely no idea where he was supposed to be.

...then someone posted that he was taken out after 1 mistake (The bad charge call)

Like did you watch him on D???
yep watching the game on replay (wasn't able to watch live) I had to replay that Nova possession a couple times because I couldn't really believe how lost Benny was, like it was his first minute of trying to play our zone

Upvote 0

It’s more than effort.
You talk about an individual player, where did I say that particular player was not giving the effort? Team rebounding is a group effort not individual.
If what you say is true we might as well forget about this team they can not improve their rebounding, and as a result will not get much better. I do not believe they are not capable of improved rebounding. They can box out better and they can go after the ball with more intensity [hold onto it, move quicker to the ball} to me that is all effort you may call it what you will.
I think JB3 gives great effort most of the time, but he too can improve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Went through most of the game. The ball goes up and our guys just look up at the ball. No one is looking for a man to body up. No one. They just look to the heavens for some kind of sign.

Upvote 0
Went through most of the game. The ball goes up and our guys just look up at the ball. No one is looking for a man to body up. No one. They just look to the heavens for some kind of sign.
Cole did a decent amount of times in the first half, then appeared to completely forget in the second

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom