We are all dedicated Syracuse fans. Have you ever been called | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We are all dedicated Syracuse fans. Have you ever been called

Small donors are the key to longevity, but a few years ago everyone needed to come up with millions ASAP to compete, and you're not going to get what you need within the course of an off-season by asking small donors half of which weren't even aware of NIL at first, so I would have started with the whales, all the while building the infrastructure to get subscription-based donations from middle class alumni, locals, etc. But it's been a few years and they need to have been working on small donations by now.

A lot of schools will have a booster match collective donations up to a certain amount. Lville just raised $2M by having a booster match the $1M in collective NIL donations
I'm not saying we don't want to hit the whales. Of course we do. But we shouldn't ignore the smaller donations. One, you can always go back to those people for more. Two, there are so many of them. It has been a missed opportunity.

100-250k 5 dollar monthly subscriptions. Gets you entered to win all kinds of cool SU hoops stuff. Then you advertise off the winners!
They are pushing it, but doing it entirely through email campaigns. As someone who does a lot of email campaigns for a product in my line of work you need large numbers to get people to sign up this way. You're lucky to get a 10% response rate. 7-8 is considered good.

Last edited:
They are pushing it, but doing it entirely through email campaigns. As someone who does a lot of email campaigns for a product in my line of work you need large numbers to get people so sign up this way. You're lucky to get a 10% response rate. 7-8 is considered good.
7-8% is actually shocking to me. I don't even read 7-8% of emails I get from my own firm that aren't targeting me directly lol

I'm not saying we don't want to hit the whales. Of course we do. But we shouldn't ignore the smaller donations. One, you can always go back to those people for more. Two, there are so many of them. It has been a missed opportunity.
I was just saying that having a large booster match campaign gives a driving initiative for smaller donors to feel like their $10 a month or whatever amount is worth more

by a collective and asked for money? We have a large fan base. I have never been called.
I sent money to football after Fran was hired and have never heard from them. That is
unacceptable. If we want to land guys like Roach, it would be nice to know that our
collective was working their butts off to get us the money we need to compete.
I was contacted by Orange United after I donated but not before. We need to get proactive and organized with this thing because it’s clear we are getting left behind on the basketball side. Get both programs a GM now.

Small donors are the key to longevity, but a few years ago everyone needed to come up with millions ASAP to compete, and you're not going to get what you need within the course of an off-season by asking small donors half of which weren't even aware of NIL at first, so I would have started with the whales, all the while building the infrastructure to get subscription-based donations from middle class alumni, locals, etc. But it's been a few years and they need to have been working on small donations by now.
You can raise millions on small donations if you do it right. We have 240,000 living alumni. If 10% of our alums cared about basketball and donated just 10 dollars a month we could raise 3 million a year.

They are pushing it, but doing it entirely through email campaigns. As someone who does a lot of email campaigns for a product in my line of work you need large numbers to get people so sign up this way. You're lucky to get a 10% response rate. 7-8 is considered good.

Oh no doubt much harder to do than to say but this should absolutely be the goal. Hit your target audience first you’ll close st a higher rate. Call it some sort of NIL club membership that has actual value, regular communication, makes them feel like a bigger part of the program. Give away some really cool stuff the first year and use that to continue marketing. (Like court side seats to a game) Imagine 100k x $5 auto pay first of every month!

If it were my plan that’s what I would do.

Priority #1: Try to build the biggest network of small donors and donor subscriptions that you can. This is the year over year budget. Shouldn’t be hard with the right marketing and a promotional scheme with random incentives.

Priority#2: Bigger donors to build secondary fund that is used to bid on the big time missing parts that are one year rentals or one and done kids. This is also who you go to when you need to raise money quickly if there’s a bidding war and limited time. This group is solicited more on a publicity and program access scheme.

Priority #3: local businesses and events where players can earn extra money. Basically continuing re-recruitment of players you already have and a community connection.

I’m sure if I spent more than two minutes coming up with this plan I could do even better.
Had a similar experience in a restaurant Wednesday, told my buddy that I could walk in and do nothing and it couldn't get worse let alone spend a couple of minutes and put very simple and common sense ideas into place.

A lot of schools will have a booster match collective donations up to a certain amount. Lville just raised $2M by having a booster match the $1M in collective NIL donations

You seem pretty informed with NIL stuff, where do you think SU is doing well and where are they falling behind and how far is it?

You seem pretty informed with NIL stuff, where do you think SU is doing well and where are they falling behind and how far is it?
I think we are middle of ACC for bball NIL, not exactly poor but not where we want to be if we want to compete with top end talent overall. I think Cuse did really well fundraising for football (which seems to be the future of college athletics) and think it might have shifted too much focus away from bball. Not sure about the top end donors or how good/bad our collectives are operating but it seems like we were behind adapting to the whole NIL thing out of the gate (2 years ago)

Last edited:
by a collective and asked for money? We have a large fan base. I have never been called.
I sent money to football after Fran was hired and have never heard from them. That is
unacceptable. If we want to land guys like Roach, it would be nice to know that our
collective was working their butts off to get us the money we need to compete.
No.

I feel the old and the new collectives are not very well run. On the positive side, the new one appears to be better than the old one, which was remarkably incompetent.

I think we are middle of ACC for bball NIL, not exactly poor but not where we want to be if we want to compete with top end talent overall. I think Cuse did really well fundraising for football (which seems to be the future of college athletics) and think it might have shifted too much focus away from bball. Not sure about the top end donors or how good/bad our collectives are operating.

From the outside looking in it seems as if our NIL here at Syracuse has always been reactive. Wait for a money problem to come up and then scramble to try and fix it.

I think that is where HCFB came in and he said screw being reactive I am going to be active. Went out and strengthened relationships within the community, connected with alumni, and created hype around the program that has gone without for decades. As soon as NIL became a thing JB who is great at most of those things should have been in the forefront pushing the bus instead we as a basketball program sort of sat back and waited.

From the outside looking in it seems as if our NIL here at Syracuse has always been reactive. Wait for a money problem to come up and then scramble to try and fix it.

I think that is where HCFB came in and he said screw being reactive I am going to be active. Went out and strengthened relationships within the community, connected with alumni, and created hype around the program that has gone without for decades. As soon as NIL became a thing JB who is great at most of those things should have been in the forefront pushing the bus instead we as a basketball program sort of sat back and waited.
Wasn’t JB suppose to help w bball NIL fundraising but then immediently went to do ACC commentary work followed by his own fundraising work? I think he still helped w bball NIL but it wasn’t a priority for him

Wasn’t JB suppose to help w bball NIL fundraising but then immediently went to do ACC commentary work followed by his own fundraising work? I think he still helped w bball NIL but it wasn’t a priority for him
I hope JB is giving to the collective since he’s an SU alum. I’m not taking $25/ month either!

I thought I remember talk about him shifting to that sort of position within the athletic department when he retired but like you said I believe he has other interests and NIL isn't at the top of his list.

Football also has an advantage with this collective, which I understood is where a lot of their big donors are.

Football also has an advantage with this collective, which I understood is where a lot of their big donors are.

Do we not have a basketball version?

Do we not have a basketball version?
I'm not aware that we have one specifically for basketball. Orange United can go to basketball if you specify, but it's not basketball-specific.

I'm not aware that we have one specifically for basketball. Orange United can go to basketball if you specify, but it's not basketball-specific.

So if football has its own collective why doesn't basketball? If it is working so well for football why isn't basketball copying what is going on? Seems like the basketball program is always late to the party.

So if football has its own collective why doesn't basketball? If it is working so well for football why isn't basketball copying what is going on? Seems like the basketball program is always late to the party.
I think the football alums who lead that one just took the initiative. Nobody on the hoops side has so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom