We can’t compete with the blue bloods

Stevenson

2023 Cali Award Winner Pts Against & Passing Yards
Can we?

Attachments

• BF10F64D-4971-4C50-8A74-84A000E2FB89.jpeg
    BF10F64D-4971-4C50-8A74-84A000E2FB89.jpeg
    655.8 KB · Views: 440
Shoulda been beating that drum far earlier think that was a huge mistake in Dino’s part tho I think it’s obvious he realizes that now

Shoulda been beating that drum far earlier think that was a huge mistake in Dino’s part tho I think it’s obvious he realizes that now
Disagree. We have plenty of offers out to portal players who could help us at positions of need, and generally at positions where the coaching staff is stable. I fully expect the portal to yield some pleasant surprises once our offensive staff is in place.

Interesting graphic.

Cincinatti is #4 and in the Playoff.. There is no better representation of what good coaching and development can do. We recruited "better" in 16,17,18,19...

I'll be rooting for Cincy...

What exactly was a huge mistake?

What exactly was a huge mistake?
Not hitting the transfer portal like other coaches. we still had spots open on the roster at the beginning of the season that could have been fillled with portal kids…. Him saying at the beginning of the year his hesitancy to use the portal.

Disagree. We have plenty of offers out to portal players who could help us at positions of need, and generally at positions where the coaching staff is stable. I fully expect the portal to yield some pleasant surprises once our offensive staff is in place.
I’m not talking now I am talking about this just previously passed season

So that list doesn’t even remotely bother me because it is just a moment in time and what matters is not what things look like in December but rather the following August when camps start. Tons of time.

I don't think the list is supposed to bother us. I think the OP's point is that a random collection of mostly unimpressive teams are having success getting quality players from the Portal and that SU certainly can compete in the Portal with teams such as those on that list. (I may be wrong, but that's what I take from it.)

You're absolutely right; there's tons of time. Pretty sure lots of things are in motion, not the least of which is filling coaching vacancies, and we need to be patient. (Patience, not the strong suit of forum fans.) I raise my glass to next August, Good Sir!

Not hitting the transfer portal like other coaches. we still had spots open on the roster at the beginning of the season that could have been fillled with portal kids…. Him saying at the beginning of the year his hesitancy to use the portal.
I suspect the coaches were more plugged into the portal than you suggest.

I suspect the coaches were more plugged into the portal than you suggest.
That’s only 3 players weren’t there like 5-6 spots left on the roster we never filled and left open for the 2021 season? We used it but we didn’t “pound it”

That’s only 3 players weren’t there like 5-6 spots left on the roster we never filled and left open for the 2021 season? We used it but we didn’t “pound it”
I would guess there were others we tried to get but went elsewhere. Unfortunately The portal is not a supermarket.

What makes you think every kid in the portal is an upgrade over what we already have?

It makes no sense to tie up a scholarship for 2-3 years for a kid who'll never play here just so we can say we used up all 85.

It's possible we attempted to recruit guys that could've helped us that decided to go elsewhere. It's a two way street. We can't just claim guys off the waiver wire.

What makes you think every kid in the portal is an upgrade over what we already have?

It makes no sense to tie up a scholarship for 2-3 years for a kid who'll never play here just so we can say we used up all 85.
Do you realize how many players didn’t find a home after the Covid season it’s in the 100’s your telling me there’s not 5-6 depth guys that could’ve been productive? You do realize our lack of depth is what killed us the last 3 games. You need those guys

Do you realize how many players didn’t find a home after the Covid season it’s in the 100’s your telling me there’s not 5-6 depth guys that could’ve been productive? You do realize our lack of depth is what killed us the last 3 games. You need those guys

Nobody enters the portal so they can end up as a "depth guy" somewhere else.

Kids want to start.

Practice fodder? Sure. Productive? I’m not so sure. If they were left in the portal it must be nobody wanted them.

Dino has a very rational and measured take on portal players. Nothing he has said about it is untrue and I would expect nothing less from someone who knows the coaching profession. It does not mean he will not work the portal and search for the right kids and offer when the opportunity arises

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom