We got a non-conference schedule for 2014... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

We got a non-conference schedule for 2014...

There is no way Syracuse is getting $5M per game. My guess is they got $5M for making the agreement for the entire series and some % of the gate.

If they break the series they will probably end up getting sued and at the very least not get the rest of the $5M owed.

Then why would the Axeman report it that way? He must be wrong then.

Ann Arbor at noon, Ypsilanti at 6

Why we haven't played EMU is beyond me.

Easier win, closer to where we actually recruit, more accessible.

My guess is Herman thought Ypsilanti was a mythological viking creature and decided Mt. Pleasant was a safer call.

You guys don't have to believe me on this one...I just requoted Brent Axe is all:

"While the series at MetLife Stadium isn't popular with all Orange fans, playing Notre Dame is an event no matter where they play the game. It guarantees Syracuse a good television date, a notch on the recruiting belt to say you play the Irish in an NFL stadium, and a healthy payday as well (estimated to be $5 million). You want to have a good showing in that spotlight if you are Syracuse."

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2013/10/syracuse_football_early_look_a.html
I would point to the word estimated. We got a 5 million dollar signing bonus for the 20 year 10 game commitment for the Metlife series. We are going to get a healthy payout for these games because ND fans will help SU meet its attendance benchmarks

You guys don't have to believe me on this one...I just requoted Brent Axe is all:

"While the series at MetLife Stadium isn't popular with all Orange fans, playing Notre Dame is an event no matter where they play the game. It guarantees Syracuse a good television date, a notch on the recruiting belt to say you play the Irish in an NFL stadium, and a healthy payday as well (estimated to be $5 million). You want to have a good showing in that spotlight if you are Syracuse."

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2013/10/syracuse_football_early_look_a.html
I would point to the word estimated. We got a 5 million dollar signing bonus for the 20 year 10 game commitment for the Metlife series. We are going to get a healthy payout for these games because ND fans will help SU meet its attendance benchmarks

Then why would the Axeman report it that way? He must be wrong then.

50,000 tickets x $100 bucks is $5,000,000. I'm not sure the Meadowlands is even making that much at the gate after costs. Why would they give it all to SU?

50,000 tickets x $100 bucks is $5,000,000. I'm not sure the Meadowlands is even making that much at the gate after costs. Why would they give it all to SU?

I understand that but their is more to the revenue picture than just seats - box rentals, parking, concessions, TV advertising which is huge money for a ND game, other advertising, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway don't argue with me argue with the Axeman. Axeman needs to come clean on this because this $5 million number keeps coming up - bad reporting on his part if its not true.

Last edited:
I tried to defend Frazier last week when so many were piling on.

Hopefully now that our future conference schedules are set we'll be able to plan a little better in the outyears. Just something about that @ CMU, 2 home games against them TBD that doesn't sit right with me. I'm not b!tching for the sake of b!tching. I hope that's not considered my style. And I hear Frozen's point about others playing there. I find it hard to believe that Oklahoma State is going to play at CMU, but I guess it will give the B1G fans something to laugh about, if nothing else.

I'm also not saying it because I think there's any chance in hell we lose that game. We won't. 0% chance. Yes I just said that.

The Maryland game at home was a great score for Frazier. I don't think he got any credit for that last week when he was ripped to shreds.

Hope the easier start bodes well for a new QB, should a new one start. Didn't really work out for Hunt. He was able to have that ease in philosophy with his first 2 starts (and he looked very good), then he crashed into a wall at the speed of Pat White.

I guess it's true about OK State...
Touchdown 4 Traverse ‏@TouchdownTC 1h
Syracuse and Oklahoma State to visit Central Michigan in 2014 and 2015 http://www.mlive.com/chippewas/index.ssf/2013/10/syracuse_and_oklahoma_state_to.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cmu-chippewas+%28CMU+Chippewas+Impact+-+MLive.com%29…

Your premise is to suggest that we don't consider a fact as a fact. That is genius I suggest you work as a press secretary for any politician because that is the crap they try to push.

The Notre Dame game next year is a Syracuse HOME game. Notre Dame is playing 5 ACC games starting next year. 3 of those 5 are at home in South Bendand 2 of them are not at South Bend one of them is @Florida State and the other is against Syracuse at Metlife Stadium. Everything I have said is a FACT. Syracuse agreement with Notre Dame that was going to play 2 games in South Bend and 2 games in Metlife got destroyed when Notre Dame moved to the ACC scheduling agreement. All 14 teams in the ACC are going to be playing Notre Dame in football, Syracuse because OF THIS STUPID BLEEPING agreement with Metlife is getting the least because Notre Dame will not visit the Carrier Dome for atleast 6 years because OUR HOME game is at Metlife. However, you are telling me ah just this isn't a Syracuse HOME game when it is EXACTLY that. Our "home" game will have double the fans from the other team, but because you like this game it is the same thing as people complaining about the uniforms. Again, BRAVO on the press secretary jedi mind trick of comparing apples to oranges Jay Carney could use your skills.

Playing a 7th home game gives a better chance to get a win and winning GAMES is what this program needs to do we aren't WINNING these Metlife games and playing these games don't help us on the field. Call a spade a spade you like the games for personal reasons. I HAVE NO PROBLEM with that I love playing in the ACC as I personally can get to games from Charlotte a lot easier than Big East garbage.

The blue uniforms tops are a JOKE and I agree with you on that.
break apart my posts all you want, but dont say i want games at Giants Stadium because they are close to me. while they are, i dont care if i dont get to see them live every year or not. they didnt play here for a decade, a decade where they produced the worst football this side of my pop warner days, and i woke up every morning just as big a fan of Syracuse football as i was when i was a student and we went 4-4 in regards to bowl victories and i had season tickets or like the year when i followed mcnabb around during his SR campaign.

we also wouldve been losing the Giants Stadium games if they were played at the Dome as well.

ND will be in the Dome soon enough, if its 7 years, 8 years...so be it. but if you want to chicken little this here in the now, knock yourself out. it would be nice to see somebody big come in there, but right now lets get Ws.

playing them at Giants Stadium is big. its bigger than both little bowls and the ped st game combined.

plus, if we move the next ND game to the Dome, then we will add michigan or someone to the Giants Stadium slot. we are making too much $$$ to drop this because of your little woe is me crusade, Syracuse is in a world of hurt and this is not a reason why. the ORANGE S on the marquis outside of Giants Stadium, right next to the Giants & jets helmets, where millions of people drive by everyday...is marketing genious...and free. its 1 hell of a planted flag in a very big recruited area. and i guarantee somebody is playing them in charlotte.

all 4 ACC games every year is a huge upgrade and with 1 guaranteed to be either clemson or fl st...gives me little reason to feel bad for the leaf raking crowd.

what do they want Ws or big name teams in the Dome?? they dont even have their story straight and consistent. so yeah, they need to .

glad youre on board with the dumbass uniforms.

Metlife Stadium capacity is 82,566 I bet we see 25K Syracuse fans and 57k Notre Dame fans for an SU home game and I am being optimistic in my SU projection.

Just my opinion, but I think your projections are way too high. I would put it closer to 15K SU fans, 35-40K ND fans, and 25K empty seats.

Just my opinion, but I think your projections are way too high. I would put it closer to 15K SU fans, 35-40K ND fans, and 25K empty seats.

If we can start 3-0 (again assuming a bye on 9/6 and that we can beat Maryland), it will certainly be interesting to see the crowd size. I don't think you can necessarily use past numbers to gauge.

The USC game was widely considered to be a blowout, and USC was never going to bring more than 15-20k.

The Penn State game was on Labor Day, which has to cause some issues, whether people like that or not. Plus, neither team was ranked, and when ESPN was analyzing their biggest matchups that weekend, that game was an afterthought. Barely made the radar.

Throw ND in the mix, and you probably get more neutral New Yorkers than you would with any other team. Throw in a 3-0 SU, you might get a few more. Game is late September, so there are no holiday weekend travel issues.

It won't be our best chance at a win (I think that was PSU), but I think it should easily be the largest crowd of the 3 games. I hope we hold our own.

If we can start 3-0 (again assuming a bye on 9/6 and that we can beat Maryland), it will certainly be interesting to see the crowd size. I don't think you can necessarily use past numbers to gauge.

The USC game was widely considered to be a blowout, and USC was never going to bring more than 15-20k.

The Penn State game was on Labor Day, which has to cause some issues, whether people like that or not. Plus, neither team was ranked, and when ESPN was analyzing their biggest matchups that weekend, that game was an afterthought. Barely made the radar.

Throw ND in the mix, and you probably get more neutral New Yorkers than you would with any other team. Throw in a 3-0 SU, you might get a few more. Game is late September, so there are no holiday weekend travel issues.

It won't be our best chance at a win (I think that was PSU), but I think it should easily be the largest crowd of the 3 games. I hope we hold our own.

Believe me, I would love for you to be right and I hope you are. I just remember being underwhelmed at the number of empty seats in the upper deck at the PSU game. And intuitively, I would have thought that a Labor Day weekend game would be MORE conducive to traveling because it gives you that extra day to work with. I just cringe when people make the "we have to attend a BBQ" or "we have to go to the beach" excuses. You had every other weekend of the summer to do that.

Believe me, I would love for you to be right and I hope you are. I just remember being underwhelmed at the number of empty seats in the upper deck at the PSU game. And intuitively, I would have thought that a Labor Day weekend game would be MORE conducive to traveling because it gives you that extra day to work with. I just cringe when people make the "we have to attend a BBQ" or "we have to go to the beach" excuses. You had every other weekend of the summer to do that.

I was at the beach, having a BBQ.

Ok, I wasn't. But to be honest, when I do have my beach house I'm aiming for, I probably will be spending my Labor Day weekend there, along with every other summer weekend.

If my wife were to have an opinion (and I'm quite certain she would) it would be flipped logic. She would say you have every other weekend of the fall to attend football games. And once I have that quote on record, I'll be attending as many games as I see fit. Jedi Mind Trick. Wish me luck.

break apart my posts all you want, but dont say i want games at Giants Stadium because they are close to me. while they are, i dont care if i dont get to see them live every year or not. they didnt play here for a decade, a decade where they produced the worst football this side of my pop warner days, and i woke up every morning just as big a fan of Syracuse football as i was when i was a student and we went 4-4 in regards to bowl victories and i had season tickets or like the year when i followed mcnabb around during his SR campaign.

we also wouldve been losing the Giants Stadium games if they were played at the Dome as well.

ND will be in the Dome soon enough, if its 7 years, 8 years...so be it. but if you want to chicken little this here in the now, knock yourself out. it would be nice to see somebody big come in there, but right now lets get Ws.

playing them at Giants Stadium is big. its bigger than both little bowls and the ped st game combined.

plus, if we move the next ND game to the Dome, then we will add michigan or someone to the Giants Stadium slot. we are making too much $$$ to drop this because of your little woe is me crusade, Syracuse is in a world of hurt and this is not a reason why. the ORANGE S on the marquis outside of Giants Stadium, right next to the Giants & jets helmets, where millions of people drive by everyday...is marketing genious...and free. its 1 hell of a planted flag in a very big recruited area. and i guarantee somebody is playing them in charlotte.

all 4 ACC games every year is a huge upgrade and with 1 guaranteed to be either clemson or fl st...gives me little reason to feel bad for the leaf raking crowd.

what do they want Ws or big name teams in the Dome?? they dont even have their story straight and consistent. so yeah, they need to .

glad youre on board with the dumbass uniforms.
First, off by no means was I accusing you of being selfish by wanting games in NYC. Let me make that clear I wasn't taking any shot with me saying you like the games in NYC. If I lived in NYC I would love the Metlife games just because its an easy game to get into without blowing a ton of time/cash. We are all SU fans/alumni and I think wanting a little convience isn't a lot to ask for if you support the program, but moving appealing games 250 miles away doesn't make sense. If we have the option to play a program like Kansas/Maryland/Auburn/Ole Miss home/home we should do that rather than play a 5 star program USC/LSU/Alabama/Ohio State/Notre Dame/Michigan away/Metlife.

Second, the University made this deal with a Big East mindset not an ACC mindset. Dr. Gross didn't like the deal with Notre Dame, but he needed the $$$ and had no leverage. Now that we have ACC money flowing into the AD office while Dr. Gross wouldn't publicly admit this I bet he would kill these Metlife games with Notre Dame because of the 5 game ACC-ND agreement and getting ND at home would be worth million in season tickets and we wouldn't have to play a game that is suppose to be a home game but will turn into a de facto road game.

Third, I am not a CNY resident and don't have any connection to the area except my 4 years on the Hill, but the area is the ultimate front running area if we want to buildup the football fanbase to where we can get 40k for a crappy opponent we need to win and treat them with respect and these Metlife games don't do that when we can't get more than 20k for Penn State or USC.

Fourth, Syracuse will never be the dominant team in NYC even if our flag is next to the Jets and Giants. The Northeast isn't the South where all state residents root for the state school even if they aren't alumni. Also, Syracuse is a private university its not public nor does it pretend to be we aren't going to get the listeners to the FAN to ever care about SU football like the people in GA care about UGA or SC do about South Carolina or Clemson. its not going to happen even if we play their 1 game every year.

Finally, I want the best schedule Syracuse can get for teams to play in Syracuse. If Gross wanted to play Rutgers, Penn State every 3 years at Metlife in a neutral site game fine go ahead as it will be a preseason type bowl game, but we shouldn't play teams away/Metlife it just reeks out smalltime.

Alsacs, 1 thing in your ND thesis I think holds no water:

This notion that because they are coming its worth a million or so. ND folks aren't stupid, they now know they don't have to do a god damn thing to get a ticket for the game if they want. If the ped st nambla lions didn't sell out, then neither will a 2014 or whatever ND. Nobody is getting duped into buying a season ticket to make sure they are there. Tickets will be easily available on the secondary market if not the box office.

Plus, 10 years ago we were still SYRACUSE FOOTBALL. Now we are this team in blue who can't win.

Novelty has also worn off, they've been there once already.

U conveniently fail to mention the Giants Stadium side of this too. They don't give a flying Syracuse is now in the ACC, the B1g, the SEC or even the PAC, they got ND and 'New York's College Team' to play a game. They will make a cool 1mill on parking alone.

This is a good deal, ACC or no ACC.

With 5 games divided by 14 teams, somebody is back in the rotation quicker. Make that Syracuse, put it at the Dome.

there's your talking point.

Alsacs, 1 thing in your ND thesis I think holds no water:

This notion that because they are coming its worth a million or so. ND folks aren't stupid, they now know they don't have to do a god damn thing to get a ticket for the game if they want. If the ped st nambla lions didn't sell out, then neither will a 2014 or whatever ND. Nobody is getting duped into buying a season ticket to make sure they are there. Tickets will be easily available on the secondary market if not the box office.

Plus, 10 years ago we were still SYRACUSE FOOTBALL. Now we are this team in blue who can't win.

Novelty has also worn off, they've been there once already.

U conveniently fail to mention the Giants Stadium side of this too. They don't give a flying Syracuse is now in the ACC, the B1g, the SEC or even the PAC, they got ND and 'New York's College Team' to play a game. They will make a cool 1mill on parking alone.

This is a good deal, ACC or no ACC.

With 5 games divided by 14 teams, somebody is back in the rotation quicker. Make that Syracuse, put it at the Dome.

there's your talking point.
Just so you know we are playing ND at Metlife in 2014 AND 2016. We were the ACC team that gets to play ND twice in the 14 team rotation, and the only reason why is because we had the deal with ND to play at Metlife 2014, 2016 and South Bend 2015, 2017. Now the next ND-SU matchups will be at South Bend and we won't get ND in the Dome for a while.

This game will sellout next year, but it will be all ND fans. ND alumni in NYC is probably their biggest alumni spot and playing at Metlife will be no problem for them. I bet they could sell all 82k for that game on their own. Metlife doens't care about SU being ACC I agree with that.

edit: If you asked Dr. Gross if he could get out of the ND-Metlife deal I guarantee you he would cancel the series and guarantee Syracuse a visit from ND from 2014-2019 because of all the money he could make in local season tickets. Metlife is going to make a lot of money off ND fans and SU will get paid because of attendance benchmarks, but all that money doesn't make up for the fact we are selling out for some $$$ and giving us a tougher chance to win.

Last edited:
Didn't know that. Maybe that helped get ND to the ACC, but I would guess Pitt and bc are also on their schedule in some capacity too.

Instant gratification is not a rallying cry. Not when we just got the ACC. Dropping ND and tossing them in the Dome is a great Orange glassed view, but makes zero business sense.

Giants Stadium is ing huge for a neutral site game, when Dallas or DC does it, they do it with major, major teams. Will be interesting to see how it fills next year.

If ND does what they think they are. and we do our little part, could be a big one. There is no excuse to not be over 70k.

Nassib, will need the work, maybe he can suit up...

Last edited:
First, off by no means was I accusing you of being selfish by wanting games in NYC. Let me make that clear I wasn't taking any shot with me saying you like the games in NYC. If I lived in NYC I would love the Metlife games just because its an easy game to get into without blowing a ton of time/cash. We are all SU fans/alumni and I think wanting a little convience isn't a lot to ask for if you support the program, but moving appealing games 250 miles away doesn't make sense. If we have the option to play a program like Kansas/Maryland/Auburn/Ole Miss home/home we should do that rather than play a 5 star program USC/LSU/Alabama/Ohio State/Notre Dame/Michigan away/Metlife.

Second, the University made this deal with a Big East mindset not an ACC mindset. Dr. Gross didn't like the deal with Notre Dame, but he needed the $$$ and had no leverage. Now that we have ACC money flowing into the AD office while Dr. Gross wouldn't publicly admit this I bet he would kill these Metlife games with Notre Dame because of the 5 game ACC-ND agreement and getting ND at home would be worth million in season tickets and we wouldn't have to play a game that is suppose to be a home game but will turn into a de facto road game.

Third, I am not a CNY resident and don't have any connection to the area except my 4 years on the Hill, but the area is the ultimate front running area if we want to buildup the football fanbase to where we can get 40k for a crappy opponent we need to win and treat them with respect and these Metlife games don't do that when we can't get more than 20k for Penn State or USC.

Fourth, Syracuse will never be the dominant team in NYC even if our flag is next to the Jets and Giants. The Northeast isn't the South where all state residents root for the state school even if they aren't alumni. Also, Syracuse is a private university its not public nor does it pretend to be we aren't going to get the listeners to the FAN to ever care about SU football like the people in GA care about UGA or SC do about South Carolina or Clemson. its not going to happen even if we play their 1 game every year.

Finally, I want the best schedule Syracuse can get for teams to play in Syracuse. If Gross wanted to play Rutgers, Penn State every 3 years at Metlife in a neutral site game fine go ahead as it will be a preseason type bowl game, but we shouldn't play teams away/Metlife it just reeks out smalltime.

You keep mentioning the away/Metlife portion of this, but who are we actually scheduling like this? Yes, USC was done that way, but I'm not sure that was EVER scheduled for the dome and then moved as is popular to retell on this board. I've never seen any official press release that said that the game was to be played in the dome, and I doubt one exists. USC only has 3 non-conference games to use, and one is always ND, so I don't think they planned on spending one in a 50,000 seat stadium.

The original ND series was to be scheduled that way, but with their "move" to the ACC, we no longer have the road games there. What I'd be interested to see, is if the 2016 Metlife game counts as an ND home or road game. A side note is that Syracuse is the only ACC team scheduled to play ND 2x in their first 3 years "in the ACC." (which I see you've addressed)

There are many positives to this deal. It is a positive revenue stream for the department. It's always a network broadcast. It's in a big market. We need to do our part and make it a big game for the opponent. There are also negatives, but I don't think they're as numerous as others on this thread do. Mainly because folks don't recognize what we would replace it on the schedule, it wouldn't be as great as some dream.

You keep mentioning the away/Metlife portion of this, but who are we actually scheduling like this? Yes, USC was done that way, but I'm not sure that was EVER scheduled for the dome and then moved as is popular to retell on this board. I've never seen any official press release that said that the game was to be played in the dome, and I doubt one exists. USC only has 3 non-conference games to use, and one is always ND, so I don't think they planned on spending one in a 50,000 seat stadium.

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2007/8/10/fbseries_usc.aspx?path=football

Syracuse Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross has reached a verbal agreement for the Orange football team to play the University of Southern California in a home-and-home series in 2011 and 2012 and is continuing discussions for a men's basketball series, as well. The Orange will play in Los Angeles in 2011 and the Trojans will visit the Carrier Dome in 2012.

Who gets the parking and concessions?

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2007/8/10/fbseries_usc.aspx?path=football

Syracuse Director of Athletics Dr. Daryl Gross has reached a verbal agreement for the Orange football team to play the University of Southern California in a home-and-home series in 2011 and 2012 and is continuing discussions for a men's basketball series, as well. The Orange will play in Los Angeles in 2011 and the Trojans will visit the Carrier Dome in 2012.

That's a good find. I'd searched some in the past and only found some speculation that it was to be a home-and-home. With that said, it was just a verbal agreement as Kaiser pointed out. I think Gross got a little out over his skis commenting on it as much as he did before it was in writing, but he was still relatively new in the job and it was probably the big-fish game he wanted to land. And whatever happened to that basketball series?

The original ND series was to be scheduled that way, but with their "move" to the ACC, we no longer have the road games there. What I'd be interested to see, is if the 2016 Metlife game counts as an ND home or road game. A side note is that Syracuse is the only ACC team scheduled to play ND 2x in their first 3 years "in the ACC." (which I see you've addressed)

There are many positives to this deal. It is a positive revenue stream for the department. It's always a network broadcast. It's in a big market. We need to do our part and make it a big game for the opponent. There are also negatives, but I don't think they're as numerous as others on this thread do. Mainly because folks don't recognize what we would replace it on the schedule, it wouldn't be as great as some dream.

Besides the announcement that Ox linked, maybe you could find the Interview where he said USC was coming to the Dome.

And I don't see the positives outweighing the negatives of those games increasing the likelihood of SU losing, of SU being significantly outdrawn and of them hindering the sake of season tix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides the announcement that Ox linked, maybe you could find the Interview where he said USC was coming to the Dome.

And I don't see the positives outweighing the negatives of those games increasing the likelihood of SU losing, of SU being significantly outdrawn and of them hindering the sake of season tix.

Again, you have to go back to when the deal was made. Maybe it was a bad decision, but it's a lot easier to say that now as a member of the ACC, than it was as a member of the "when are we going to die already" Big East.

I've always said I think the USC arrangement was crap, but I do think that was the plan all along (articles linked notwithstanding).

Penn State home and home might already be gone per the link last week, but that's probably more a victim of the B1G's 9 game schedule, so what are you going to do? Who knew that at the time?

I'm guessing SU also thought they'd get a recruiting bump with this. Not just NYC, but in general. Given the coaching turnover, that's a debate that would be a challenge on either side. But I still think playing ND 4 times is better than not playing ND 4 times if you're trying to sell something to recruits. That includes going to South Bend.

First 2 NYC games haven't worked out too well for us on the field or in the crowd. Doesn't mean the 3rd one can't. We haven't been 3-0 since 1991 so I should stop bringing it up, but let's see how 3-0 SU does against ND next year.

I know that other deal is out there on the horizon, but now that we're ACC, I'll be surprised if we play as many games there as what was announced.

Who gets the parking and concessions?
MetLife does...basically Cuse is the lead team and they get a minimum guarantee and possibly extra $$ if certain attendance goals are reached.

SU has to work their ticket sales thru MetLife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom